Bass Pro rant

GaryO

NES Member
I was in BP on Monday and decided to pick up some shotgun ammo, I grabbed to boxes of buckshot and a box of gameloads, when I got home I noticed one of the boxes of buckshot felt light and when I checked it out I only had threeout of five rounds in the box. I am not in the habit of opening boxes in a store. I'm going to call the store but don't think I will be able to exchange the box. Has this happened to anyone before?

I don't understand why you would rant before you've even given the store the chance to correct the problem. I doubt they have any fault in this, the missing rounds are probably due to a customer and no fault of the store.

Always open the box unless it is glue sealed from the factory. Those rounds could be missing from anywhere along the distribution channel through theft or simply a drooped box opening or short packing. I check rounds in boxes and wiggle each egg in the dozen. At the cost of some ammo today even one round down is enough to make it worth checking. They will probably take care of it for you if the cost of the travel is now worth it.

Last edited:
thats why i dont like the ammo being unlocked in this state. the gang bangers can steal it too easily. at least in free states they are more likely to buy it.

Always crack open the box & check. Sorry that you got shafted, but the solution would probably be for BP to lock up all the ammo, which would be a PITA for the shoppers.

ETA: I go to BP pretty often. I've yet to see a "gang-banger" looking person in there. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
thats why i dont like the ammo being unlocked in this state. the gang bangers can steal it too easily. at least in free states they are more likely to buy it.

This is the most asinine statement I've heard in a long time...

What does living in NH or any other state have to do with stealing over MA? If someone wants to steal it, they will.

And as someone that worked for Bass Pro for a year and a half...there aren't many "Gang Bangers" that come into the store.

Hell, let's lock up everything. You know, it's FOR THE CHILDREN!! [rolleyes]

Problem is...for the amount of money lost in stolen ammo...it would cost more just to have someone standing around with a key to open the ammo.

but what about the human cost! the lives that those stolen rounds take! [rolleyes]

+1 on the banger comment being totally asinine.

Gang bangers don't have to steal ammo. They can just buy it off of the licensed gun owners that are selling them their guns.[wink]

it will keep getting stolen then. people will steal anything they can get their hand on. the knifes are locked and or in plastic antitheft cases. so why not the ammo. im def all for having it on the floor. but they will steal it if they can.

it will keep getting stolen then. people will steal anything they can get their hand on. the knifes are locked and or in plastic antitheft cases. so why not the ammo. im def all for having it on the floor. but they will steal it if they can.

The knives are stolen as well. Just because it's in a plastic bubble pack, with an antitheft device on it doesn't matter. If they want it, they will find a way.

I've seen Shotgun Barrels stolen, Complete BB Guns, Duck calls, Rifle Cases, and that's just a few from the hunting department. Ask the Fishing guys what they've seen stolen.

I guess everything should be locked up.

I know, we'll just have one big store, and EVERYTHING will be behind glass. We'll make all the stores like a Museum...and you'll have to see it all from the other side of lexan. And if you need something, we'll take a number and when it's your turn to look at something...we'll open the door. But only if you put down your drivers license as a deposit to make sure that you don't run off with it...

Again, for the children!

This is an incredibly stupid pair of posts. I should (and can) walk into most gun stores and be able to pick a few boxes off the shelves to purchase without needing someone to unlock it.

bass pro is a retail store not a gun store. im just saying people are more likely gonna steal there, than at a gun shop. people will take anything. i take it back maybe they were not gang bangers but they were def. not lic gun owners. i like being able to grab and buy, but this state will shut it down if they find out it is being stolen. I VOTE WE DELETE THIS THREAD BEFORE SOME TROLL FINDS IT AND THINKS THE WRONG THING.

bass pro is a retail store not a gun store. im just saying people are more likely gonna steal there, than at a gun shop. people will take anything. i take it back maybe they were not gang bangers but they were def. not lic gun owners. i like being able to grab and buy, but this state will shut it down if they find out it is being stolen. I VOTE WE DELETE THIS THREAD BEFORE SOME TROLL FINDS IT AND THINKS THE WRONG THING.

Too late, they already did! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Do you realize that in most other states, ammo in big-box stores has been out on the floor for customers to buy w/o "mommy" watching them, giving them permission or carrying it to the front cash registers for them for tons of years. Coming from MA I did find it strange when I walked into a big-box store outside of Portland, OR back in the 1980s and all the ammo was on customer-accessible shelves.

I doubt that they have a bigger problem with theft of ammo in Free America than they do in MA!

stealing

beleive all you want but it does not matter who the persons are,licensed or not they steal.I go in the stores and can find packages with nothing in them in any department.there are thieves in all groups.look at the ones in the adds on line.dont you even have one here.thread.[frown]

If you are going to steal 2 rounds of buckshot out of a box of 5, why not take the damn box!
I did call the store yesterday and they will replace it when I head back.

Too late, they already did! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Do you realize that in most other states, ammo in big-box stores has been out on the floor for customers to buy w/o "mommy" watching them, giving them permission or carrying it to the front cash registers for them for tons of years. Coming from MA I did find it strange when I walked into a big-box store outside of Portland, OR back in the 1980s and all the ammo was on customer-accessible shelves.

I doubt that they have a bigger problem with theft of ammo in Free America than they do in MA!

You mean like New Hampshire, Maine, and CT? I don't know about VT or RI, but I'd guess that at least VT, which doesn't even require LTC to carry, ammo is open stock.

Back
Top Bottom