Ballistol

Agreed. Works well but the smell is awful. Why can't they make it smell like Tri-Flow ?
Nobody cared how anything smelled or health risks back in 1904 when Ballistol was invented. I get a kick out of reading the contradictory labels :

"Eco Friendly"
"Skin Safe"
"No Carcinogens"

"Danger contents are combustible"
"Breathing Hazard"
"DO NOT breathe vapors"
"Electrical shock hazard"

The famous "Moose Milk" home brew of Ballistol , Murphy's Soap and water I use for my BP muzzleloaders and it does work awesome if you can just get past the smell of 6 month old sweaty gym socks. Here's a great link to all kinds of "home brew" gun cleaning recipies :

Agreed. Works well but the smell is awful. Why can't they make it smell like Tri-Flow ?
It's paraffin wax dissolved in food grade mineral oil and oleic acid to balance the PH derived from some German mountain flowers. The blend of flowers makes the strong smell.

Nobody cared how anything smelled or health risks back in 1904 when Ballistol was invented. I get a kick out of reading the contradictory labels :

"Eco Friendly"
"Skin Safe"
"No Carcinogens"

"Danger contents are combustible"
"Breathing Hazard"
"DO NOT breathe vapors"
"Electrical shock hazard"
Ballistol has to abide by the FDA in the US and they haven't paid to have their product classified the same as any other food grade mineral oil product.

Everyone touts the 'safe on wood' qualities of Ballistol like it's a feature. Do competing products harm wood or are they just as safe? I've mostly retired Ballistol and Breakfree CLP in favor of CorrosionX as the thing to leave on my guns as the final step before going into storage.

Yeah, I have some wonderful old literature about Ballistol that they used to send with the stuff when you purchased direct. It's a fun read.
Look at their European websites. It's literally packaged as over the counter medicine for various purposes. Same exact product, just in different containers.

😄

Definitely useful as an appetite suppressant.
you laugh but...
BALLISTOL-NEO-100ML_720x823.png

you laugh but...
BALLISTOL-NEO-100ML_720x823.png
Ok, you sent me down the rabbit hole. "NEO BALLISTOL contains more essential oils than BALLISTOL, other components were omitted." So, like, no buffalo farts? Maybe just steinbock flatulence essence and some pfeffernüsse offgassing.

Kinda reminds me of how my mother used to make me mouth gargle wash with Listerine back in the early 1970's .

Mom : "STOP COMPLAINING AND JUST SWISH IT AROUND, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TASTE ! "

Odd thing was my mother DIDN'T use it ....
So so so many your mom jokes to be made. I'll not.
Happy new year clam

Damn. I had a Ballistol DREAM last night. WTF??? Some sort of cream that is 99% Ballistol, but it was in a jelly like consistency. Some guy was yapping over and over teh 11 specific ingredients in Ballistol. Are there even 11 ingredients???? I think I might have a can of it somewhere. It might be the only can I've ever owned, it's like mini-deodorant sized and I can't say for sure if it is still in my basement. (And it wasn't this thread - I've been off since Friday.)

The BP guys used it like gangbusters when I used to shoot SASS.

Back
Top Bottom