• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ballistol - anyone use it?

I cut it 50/50 with water to remove black powder residue in a Hawken musket replica. It works well, also use that mixture on the wood. Full strength to lube and hose it down between shoots. I see that the Ballistol site recommends 75% water for removing BP residue, I'll try that too.
Per Hockok45, I use it (undiluted) to clean my AO 1911. I seems a little thin for the slide so I add some light grease or Mobile 1 to the rails. Still I'm noticing some increase wear/slop/rattle after a few hundred rounds. Any suggestions for reducing rail wear?, not to change the subject..

Are you using the aerosol can only? The reason I ask is because I find the non-aerosol bottle is thicker and works great on the slide. I use them both, the spray for soaking and cleaning & the bottle for lubricating contact spots.

I've been using it for a few years as well. Like others, I've learned to love the smell. It is a good CLP, and the longer you use it, the easier your guns are to clean.

Picked up a bottle today at the Standish show. First time user here, I've always used Hoppes in the past. Looking forward to seeing how this works.

If you have a 10/22, take it apart and spray inside the receiver, let sit for about a minute and wipe. You'll be in shock. Same goes for any carbon build up spots on your firearms.

Ballistol is what they use at the Sig academy in Epping. Since I used it there, I've stuck with using it on my P239.

Why does non aerosol matter?

Less waste, less mess and as someone already pointed out, cheaper.

Sometimes I just need to dip a q tip in it to clean inside the slide. Its nice to get exactly what you want.

Thats certainly just a personal preference though.

One other thing is that if you want to put it on a .22 sized patch, even a quick squirt from an aerosol is way too much.

Less waste, less mess and as someone already pointed out, cheaper.

Sometimes I just need to dip a q tip in it to clean inside the slide. Its nice to get exactly what you want.

Thats certainly just a personal preference though.

One other thing is that if you want to put it on a .22 sized patch, even a quick squirt from an aerosol is way too much.

Good point. I'll give it a try.

I just finished cleaning two 10/22s with Ballistiol, and it's safe to say I've cleaned my last 10/22 with this stuff. Granted these guns were embarrassingly dirty, the Ballistol made more of a mess than it did cleaning. It didn't seem to break any gunk down at all, I'm pretty disapointed. Should work great to grease a baking pan though.

Looks like I'm going back to Hoppes.

I just finished cleaning two 10/22s with Ballistiol, and it's safe to say I've cleaned my last 10/22 with this stuff. Granted these guns were embarrassingly dirty, the Ballistol made more of a mess than it did cleaning. It didn't seem to break any gunk down at all, I'm pretty disapointed. Should work great to grease a baking pan though.

Clean all my firearms with Ballistol, including a 10/22. Works great! I usually spray down what I'm going to clean and let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so.
Does this mean there's going to be Ballistol Karma!

It cleans the hell out of anything capable of firing a shot made of lead.

The only thing is that it smells too much like urinal mints at a campsite outhouse.

Anyone who cleans a gun with a lubricant is wasting their time and money. I clean with a cheap solvent (brake parts cleaner) and then lube the clean gun with synthetic motor oil. I have been using this system for over 15 years with great results; not better than the "super lubes/cleaners" but just as good for a lot less $.

I was going to start a thread on Ballistol, but luckily I decided to do a search first.

I had never used this until we bought a black powder rifle last year. Seems to be very big in the BP community. My son became very familiar with it as he got very involved in learning al he could about this rifle and cleaning it whenever we shot it.

Fast forward to a month ago or so when I decided to do a deep cleaning of just about all of my firearms as a winter project. I disassembled my semi-automatics and soaked most of the parts in it at least overnight. Seemed to clean out a lot of hidden gunk and those hard-to-get areas. For the most part my firearms have not looked that clean since I bought them, at least the ones which were clean when I bought them.

After soaking I carefully dried everything off although the Ballistol seemed to leave a faint "slick" feel to most parts, as if it left a layer of lubrication on each part. I would then use a grease to lube the friction bearing surfaces of my 1911's as recommended by the guys at CherryBalmz:

I will probably continue to use a CLP product for quick cleanings between shooting sessions (if I feel it is necessary) but really deep cleanings will be with Ballistol.

Back
Top Bottom