• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ballistol - anyone use it?

Pretty good cleaner esp. for black powder; gets a lot of lead out of rimfire barrels, too.

Smells like buffalo farts. No, really.

I use it when cleaning up my flintlock, to preserve the metal and keep the bore seasoned. It works well but has a nasty smell to it.

I only bought it once to try it.
It works as advertised for cleaning and lubrication, but the smell could gag a maggot.
I'll stick with Break-Free.

The smell is definitely an acquired taste, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. I use it all the time for corrosive ammo clean-up, and it's biodegradable, and non-toxic.

Why is it the good stuff typically smells bad. It is another good lube/cleaner product.
Yeah, that is really almost always the case, isn't it?

My regular CLP (Bullfrog Rusthunter) doesn't smell bad at all (neither does Eezox, but Rusthunter kinda smells like butterscotch - and works well despite not reeking). Ballistol was the first gun cleaner I ever tried. It's stinky but not toxic, so it's not like it will kill you (you'll just want to die from the smell). Every now and then I run a few patches with Ballistol through a 22 barrel, and it's amazing how it draws out the leading. I think the Patchworm people even sell one version of their product complete with Ballistol pre-soaked patches.

It's great stuff for blackpowder guns, and works great with smokeless guns too. It's non-toxic, and won't hurt finishes, leather or wood. I like the smell. There's Anise in it I think, so it smells like Italian cookies. My favorite gun cleaning product.

I use it exclusively for lubrication. I think it is German stuff. I know that they tell you in hunting school that it is the best thing since sliced bread, and almost every German hunter I know uses it.

Back
Top Bottom