• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ballistol

A buddy of mine from Texas swears by this Ballistol stuff for cleaning and lubing his guns. Anyone else use it and what do you think? And where can you buy it local? I'm in Weymouth, but if it's worth it, I will travel this great state for it. Thanks.

I usually order it from one of the online vendors. It works well, but it smells awful. Order a small can first to see if you like it before placing a large order.

I may have seen some at Collectors in Stoneham a few months ago, but I forget now.

I think I recall reading somewhere that its not great to use if you're going to clean your gun and then throw it in your safe for a while because its water based, so it will eventually evaporate and not provide any rust protection.

I usually spray ballistol down the barrel and in the action of my AK or Mosin at the range after I shoot corrosive ammo, then I clean it with hoppes and oil it when I get home.

I use Ballistol for clean-up after any corrosive ammo, as it neutralizes the salts. A lot of Black Powder shooters use it to clean up after they shoot, as well.

Once you get used to the smell, it's not so bad, but it's different.

I also saw Hickok use it a lot and tried it out. It works excellent as a gun cleaner. It gets rid of gunpowder right when you spray it on. It is more of a dry cleaner/lubricant. The smell is not that bad, it just takes time getting used to. I wish Hoppes didn't smell so good! I do love both products but I'd say give it a try. I bought mine up at Kittery but I see it on Amazon on all the time and at a much cheaper price. I do recall seeing it at the Coin Gallery in Stoneham.

I've been using it for the past six months or so. I did some reading on it, and I believe it is mineral oil based. No complaints, it does a good job cleaning and it smells a lot better than Hoppes.

Sorry Navy Moose... nothing smells BETTER than Hoppes.

I put that %$*&@ on everything...

Hoppes smells good, I think Break-Free CLP smells good too [laugh]. I've been using Ballistol for awhile now, it's good on all sorts of materials and I haven't had any rust develop when using it exclusively. Plus it's non-toxic.

I've been using it for the past few months. I like it so far and have not noticed any issues. I still use Hoppies, Shooter's Choice, and a few others depending on what I'm cleaning and my mood.

I don't find the smell offencive, and I get less complaints from the wife with this over other solvents.

I also saw Hickok use it a lot and tried it out. It works excellent as a gun cleaner. It gets rid of gunpowder right when you spray it on. It is more of a dry cleaner/lubricant. The smell is not that bad, it just takes time getting used to. I wish Hoppes didn't smell so good! I do love both products but I'd say give it a try. I bought mine up at Kittery but I see it on Amazon on all the time and at a much cheaper price. I do recall seeing it at the Coin Gallery in Stoneham.
Sorry Navy Moose... nothing smells BETTER than Hoppes.

I put that %$*&@ on everything...
Hoppes doesn't smell that good when you spill the bottle all over your counter, then use a paper towel to soak it up and drain it back into the bottle... [laugh]

Last edited:
I just got my first can of Ballistol last week and am in the process of evaluating it. It's just hard for me to believe that something that cleans can also lubricate but I'm keeping an open mind.

I've got a new STAG AR that has a tendency to get dry and stovepipe after a couple hundred rounds, or less. I was hoping this stuff would help. Anybody here use Ballistol as the only lubricant on your BCG?

I like it, it's easy and quick. It does seem to leave a thin and shiny protecting film on the surface. I don't mind the smell at all.

I just got my first can of Ballistol last week and am in the process of evaluating it. It's just hard for me to believe that something that cleans can also lubricate but I'm keeping an open mind.

I've got a new STAG AR that has a tendency to get dry and stovepipe after a couple hundred rounds, or less. I was hoping this stuff would help. Anybody here use Ballistol as the only lubricant on your BCG?

I've been using it as the sole lube on my BCG for a little while now. I've found it works pretty well, no malfunctions, but I don't think I've ever shot more than 60-70 rounds without cleaning it. I do go pretty heavy with it, based on recommendations that ARs like lots of lube in general.

I use hoppes number 9 for cleaning and CLP for lube, even on my AR15. The Army uses CLP on their AR's so that's a good enough reason for me to use it. I've also had no problems so that helps too.

I once used tetra gun grease on my pistols and ar but it tended to not work as well in the cold weather so that was why I switched to CLP. No issues in the cold with CLP.

I use ballistol on occasion. It's not bad but hoppes is better at cleaning. I wouldn't use it to store nickel plated pistols in. It does have cleaning agents that will harm soft metal.

Back
Top Bottom