• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CLP Break Free vs. Ballistol

I know there are threads about both but I am wondering which one is better. I bought some CLP BreakFree today and will use it tonight or tomorrow. I have been using Ballistol after hearing its praise on hickok's channel. Before that, it was Hoppes.

I want to know the best product to clean and lubricate all my firearms: semi-autos, revolvers, AR's, rifles, shotguns etc. Ballistol has been working excellent and the smell is not that bad. I hear CLP is a really good solvent and want to hear people's opinions. Thanks.

I've been using Ballistol since November, or so. Hoppes gives me a headache when I use it indoors. What I like about Ballistol is that it doesn't have carcinogens and is biodegradable. Ballistol does a good job cleaning, I have no complaints.

I have been using Ballistol for probably 6 months or so. So in my limited experience these are my feelings.

As a general cleaner, I like Ballistol, but I don't think the lubricant and protectant properties are a good as that of Break Free.
And if we are talking about cleaning out a very fouled firearm neither would be my choice.

i use hoppes period, don't think water based goes with metal, my opinion.

in the winter CLP is a good lube for the MKIII and possibly others. for the

summer is use Mobil 1. Even Hoppes gun oil is a good lube. I have owned

several boats in the past and the same questions come up in that world

as well, which is the best cleaner, the best wax the best mop etc.

find one that works and stick with it.

For my CF firearms..I have come full circle.. I started using Hoppes.. went to CLP .. went to Ballistol.. and back to Hoppes .. I still use CLP as a lube but IMHO Hoppes still has the others beat.

For my BP guns, I use HOT water, then Ballistol, followed by a HOT water rinse. Atfer drying the barrel out, I apply borebutter to the inside of the barrel to inhibit rust, and not Ballistol.

For BP shooting, I have had great results using Ballistol as a patch lube..
using the method as explained by Dutch Schoultz.

But as mentioned before, I am not comfortable using a water soluble oil as a preservative.

Last edited:
Anything I shoot corrosive ammo out of, I spray with Ballistol as soon as I'm done while at the range, then clean with hoppes later at home.
Almost everything else: just Hoppes solvent + oil

My reasoning is that Ballistol is advertised as a kind of do-it-all product: cleaner, neutralizes corrosive salts, lubricates, prevents rust... so I keep an aerosol can in my range range bag. The downside of ballistol is that it is water based so it may not be suitable for long term rust prevention, thats where hoppes solvent + oil comes in.

Ruger MKIII, which I avoid taking apart unless really necessary, I occasionally spray some CLP break-free in and then blast out with compressed air.

Back
Top Bottom