Cleaning with hoppes 9 or ballistol?

yeah there is NOTHING like the smell of Hoppes slathered all over your hands and arms after cleaning some guns!

Ballistol on everything. I have a big spray can for cleaning at home, and a medium one in my SHTF bag. It's kinda good for every application. Cleaning, lubing, preserving, it'll take care of a wooden stock, and you can even spray it on a small open wound, as it is disinfectant. It's non toxic, and even good for leather.

A 50/50 mix of Hoppes 9 and ammonia makes a great copper solvent. Pretty sure they actually call it Hoppes Bench Rest.

After I shoot my Rem 700, I soak the hell out of the barrel with copper solvent and turn it upside down over night. Then brush it out, Hoppes, and a bit of rem oil.

If you like the smell of napalm in the morning, You have like Hoppes. I've been experimenting a little with Slip 2000, carbon killer. Used as directed, it's proving to be very good product so far for cleaning carbon, copper and lead.

I've been experimenting a little with Slip 2000, carbon killer. Used as directed, it's proving to be very good product so far for cleaning carbon, copper and lead.

good to know. I haven't found any possible way to remove lead fouling besides manually with bronze wool over a jag. Some old timers used mercury but thats not exactly feasible

What do people think about those ultrasonic cleaning devices? I'm thinking about getting one and using it for really small areas like cleaning the bolt for an MSR, recoil springs, or even pistol barrels.
I use one for small parts with a mild detergent or a jewelery cleaner. It easily gets the crap out of every nook and cranny. you will need to pay a lot of attention to lubrication after as it gets rid of everything including all the old lube. It is a fairly quick and effective cleaning method for metal parts.

I use both. Ballistol is my go-to blackpowder cleaner, and works well on smokeless powder too. Hoppes, IMHO does a better job on copper fouling.
Wet a barrel with Hoppes and leave it a couple days, and a patch run through will come out turquois with copper. I can't say that I've had the same result with Ballistol.

IIRC there was a test done on various cleaners like CLP and Ballistol to see which was better at rust prevention. Ballistol surpisingly held its own against some of the more modern concoctions... But according to some, Ballistol might not be as benign as some have claimed.

good to know. I haven't found any possible way to remove lead fouling besides manually with bronze wool over a jag. Some old timers used mercury but thats not exactly feasible

A piece of "Chor Boy" SS scrubbing pad wrapped around an old bore brush does a wonderful job.

Back
Top Bottom