• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bad News from New Bedford

Sad to see it happen. My club, Riverside in Hudson, did the same thing. Petty politics and power trips drove the IDPA guys to Harvard, caused the pistol team to resign en-masse, and eviscerated the training program by driving away the instructors. From their most recent newsletter they seem to by trying to restart some programs but they're trying to dig themselves out of a such hole. I would love to see them succeed but I don't think that's possible without regime change. Maybe it's happening. I can't say for sure because I made the decision to be a member just for the use of the facilities and cannot bring myself to get involved with all the politics.

Sad to see it happen. My club, Riverside in Hudson, did the same thing. Petty politics and power trips drove the IDPA guys to Harvard, caused the pistol team to resign en-masse, and eviscerated the training program by driving away the instructors. From their most recent newsletter they seem to by trying to restart some programs but they're trying to dig themselves out of a such hole. I would love to see them succeed but I don't think that's possible without regime change. Maybe it's happening. I can't say for sure because I made the decision to be a member just for the use of the facilities and cannot bring myself to get involved with all the politics.

I was a member of Riverside at the time. I followed the IDPA folks to Harvard and haven't looked back.

I'm not a member, but from what I can tell, there are something like 10-20 members who are active action pistol shooters. Not nearly enough to change anything on the BOD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one thing I've learned is that inept and incompetent people hate people who get things done, and when they are in power, they use every means they have available to take out the competent ones. It is mental illness, and it permeates our political system as well. Sorry to hear about the defeat, but damn glad you did all you could to stand up to the insanity.

Thanks Dave and crew. We are fighting the same BS at our club. The NB matches were great and I was slowly bringing our BOD members to USPSA matches there. We have member support but Fudds on BOD saying the same crap. They are the gun owners that need the training. The action shooters are the safest shooters at the club. We continue the fight and hope to grow the program.

- - - Updated - - -

Well one thing I've learned is that inept and incompetent people hate people who get things done, and when they are in power, they use every means they have available to take out the competent ones. It is mental illness, and it permeates our political system as well. Sorry to hear about the defeat, but damn glad you did all you could to stand up to the insanity.
+1 Exactly!

I was there and I think most Action shooters were too. We just did not have the numbers. I don't know the final vote tally to see how much we missed by.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crab in the bucket syndrome.

Folks:

I've edited a few posts. Sometimes discussing strategies for how to change things at a certain club should be done in private, not in public.

There are no safety concerns... the problems here sound like fudd retards on the BOD. That's a cancer that can only be dealt with by a regime change.

Last year there was a second amendment night in Fairhaven. I went and while there I saw the club president. Sheriff Hodgson was there as a speaker. After the sheriff was done speaking about how much he loves the 2nd amendment and the Constitution and would never violate them I called him out on the response to the marathon bombings and why law enforcement was so willing to violate the 4th amendment in searching people's homes. I wanted to know where he stood on that. His response - "I'll do what is necessary to keep you safe and we'll sort it out afterwards"... The club president gave him a standing O.

That's all you need to know about the Fudd bag JBT supporting man who is the President. I've never shot there and don't know if I ever will. I'm a member because they have a nice archery range. All the recent work of which was done by a man named Woody in part because the leader of the archery committee is a douche too and spends his time talking about his long bows then doing anything to improve the range under the tutelage of the committee he chairs.

Bad news for all of us that love to shoot and compete. There are too few venues available in MA and NB ran good (safe) events. Too bad you have chicken-shits that are afraid of guns and probably use their position on the BOD to feed their little egos. You need to get the 700 members involved and make their voices be heard by the board. If I was a member there I start a petition stating that I would not renew my membership if this decision does not get reversed.

Bad news for all of us that love to shoot and compete. There are too few venues available in MA and NB ran good (safe) events. Too bad you have chicken-shits that are afraid of guns and probably use their position on the BOD to feed their little egos. You need to get the 700 members involved and make their voices be heard by the board. If I was a member there I start a petition stating that I would not renew my membership if this decision does not get reversed.

You're assuming that the majority of the club members don't agree with the decision. The sad fact is that at a lot of clubs most members have no interest in participating in action shooting sports. Even those that aren't straight up FUDDS can get their undies in a bunch when the pits are closed for a match once a month and aren't likely to want the program back.

It sucks for those of us who love the sport but It sucks worse for those that put all the work into building a successful program only to see it get torn down before their eyes.

Sounds like what went down at Riverside in Hudson a few years back, but more so.

Booze and guns don't mix. Drunks with ego problems are toxic to gun clubs. I've seen this at other clubs, too.

Thank God Harvard is alcohol free.

Sounds like what went down at Riverside in Hudson a few years back, but more so.

Booze and guns don't mix. Drunks with ego problems are toxic to gun clubs. I've seen this at other clubs, too.

Thank God Harvard is alcohol free.

Auburn "sportsmens" club is like that. Just have to drive by and see the yuengling/Budweiser banner advertising the latest meat raffle to tell what that club is about. Nothing like bar flys with life memberships to make you feel welcome when you want to try something new.

Would be a shame if gun clubs weren't allowed to have liquor licenses... Just say'n

Yup. But I question the motives of the Barflys that sit in the clubhouse all day and hardly ever shoot. Many times i have gone to the range and been the only one there and drive by a packed clubhouse. Must be nice to have a nice pile of dues to subsidize your watering hole

How does a club stay insured with an on site bar? I'd imagine insurance companies would see that and jack rates up to the moon.

I'm also disappointed because New Bedford had been a really strong Comm2A supporter. The club itself has generously donated to Comm2A and for the last couple of years Dave Bold has run a Steel Challenge match for the benefit of Comm2A. Comm2A's support at New Bedford has been a direct result of action shooting.

How does a club stay insured with an on site bar? I'd imagine insurance companies would see that and jack rates up to the moon.

A club's general liability policy generally does not include liquor liability. There are carriers who write special policies for that purpose (protection from the family of a drunk coming from your bar getting killed).

Hopkinton Sportsmens had a bar for years, and everyone always took it for granted it made money and subsidized the club. The problem is that this only works when the bar operates on a large scale. Sure, it turned a profit in terms of excess of drink fees over direct costs. The problem is that the indirect costs turned it into a net loss provision (while the bartender truthfully reported a monthly profit). The bartender's report did not include things like the amortization of the annual liquor liability policy; the cost of an extensive inventory of liquor not sold; the cost of building a walk-in cooler (since dismantled since it was plywood and began to get kind of ratty); the cost of having someone come in on a regular basis and clean the place; the cost of running an ancient A/C (seer 10) in the summer; etc; etc....

We never had a problem with drinking and shooting mixing, but the culture of the place, and financial situation, improved when Carrie Nation Draper turned in the liquor license.

A club's general liability policy generally does not include liquor liability. There are carriers who write special policies for that purpose (protection from the family of a drunk coming from your bar getting killed).

Hopkinton Sportsmens had a bar for years, and everyone always took it for granted it made money and subsidized the club. The problem is that this only works when the bar operates on a large scale. Sure, it turned a profit in terms of excess of drink fees over direct costs. The problem is that the indirect costs turned it into a net loss provision (while the bartender truthfully reported a monthly profit). The bartender's report did not include things like the amortization of the annual liquor liability policy; the cost of an extensive inventory of liquor not sold; the cost of building a walk-in cooler (since dismantled since it was plywood and began to get kind of ratty); the cost of having someone come in on a regular basis and clean the place; the cost of running an ancient A/C (seer 10) in the summer; etc; etc....

We never had a problem with drinking and shooting mixing, but the culture of the place, and financial situation, improved when Carrie Nation Draper turned in the liquor license.

Exactly. This is why the ranges in Auburn I suspect are in deploarble condition (thats being nice). Dues are being used to prop up the bar and all the hidden costs no one talks about off the books. New kitchen in barrom. Ranges worse than a sandpit

So THIS is why the calender is full of "cancellations".
Really disappointing, as the action sports support was what drew me to joining.

That club just lost one of the best programs they (or any other club) could have had going. It was managed by a group of highly motivated and dedicated individuals. These are the types of programs and people that clubs should be embracing not pushing away. It is so mind boggling and dissapointing to see such a strong, safe, and well run program get dropped like a cheap suit.

I am glad I have gotten to know all of you quite well over the past several years and appreciate all of the work you have put in to put on great matches and promote the shooting sports! I am also looking forward to shooting with you again this season at other clubs who do support all facets of the shooting sports!

Great work guys. You have everything to be proud of!

Any update on what's going on over at NB?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

Any update on what's going on over at NB?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

Don't look good so far. Seems like a power trip by the old guard but who knows what will happen when the $$ slows down coming in. Still got steel and pins in RI but I will miss the shotgun and carbine match

This is really bad news and I feel sorry especially for those who put so much work to run the matches.

This has nothing to do with safety, but because they don't understand the sport (especially safety rules) and they "wanted" to shut down the committee. Unfortunately, there is a misconception that that action pistol is dangerous and many clubs don't allow this kind of shooting. My club doesn't allow drawing from a holster or shooting at a rate faster than 1 round per second since this is considered dangerous... However, the only place I have had a loaded gun pointed at me was at a trap range when a guy on the line bent down (turning his shotgun towards me) to pick up a shell. Nothing happened to him, and he was allowed to continue shooting. People wave their shotguns all over the place in the trap house and if there are any rules they are not followed. If you should as much as un-holster your gun at a USPSA match other than at the safety area or while on the line you would be disqualified! Somehow, trap is considered much safer than action pistol...
Maybe the NB BOD can show us any other active shooting sport in their club that has as many safety rules as the USPSA/IDPA/Steel..

The only way this could be overturned is by a by-laws change. I don't see it happening. The club president stated at the last BOD meeting that it was his opinion the BOD has the final say on all issues at NB. That means a majority of 12 votes decides all issues for 700 members. It's a wonderment: anti-gunners, statist, and mini tyrants all rolled into one neat package.
I wouldn't trust the president with that statement. The bylaws of the club determines who has the final say on all issues. Can someone post the bylaws so we can read them?

I would like to see/review a copy of the bylaws. I looked and couldn't find them on their website.

-Cuz.

I would like to see/review a copy of the bylaws. I looked and couldn't find them on their website.

-Cuz.

Might have to ask a member, Most clubs dont post them on the web and I bet Dave Bold and his crew read them from every angle to fight this. Might have to wait and try something like removing officers for not acting in the best interests of the club when revenues drop. Maybe some friendly cops to do DUI busts on the drinking officers? Anybody's guess at this time what the future holds there

Would a letter campaign to the NB Board of Directors from USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge competitors who have enjoyed the NB matches help? I think we could easily come up with a hundred supporters, probably a lot more.

This is really bad news and I feel sorry especially for those who put so much work to run the matches.

This has nothing to do with safety, but because they don't understand the sport

If I was going to make a wild guess, I would bet anything it's a lot simpler than that. This is likely a coup orchestrated by one or more "large type fudd douchebag" personalities in control at that club that simply don't care about action shooting at all, and probably don't participate or never have. Perhaps these votes are asserting dominance on other voters that don't have skin in the game, etc. This isn't about action shooting, it's about some fudd, or fudds trying to empire build to protect their little legion of fudd activities. Instead of collecting the shitload of money that comes in from these events and smiling all the way to the bank, they have to strut around with their gut hanging out, noses pointed in the air, "hurr durring" any mention of non-fudd activities, because that's just how they roll. [rolleyes] What's that saying... "I've seen this movie before, and I know how it ends." The only way out is for the member base to identify the problem seat-holders and vote them out of office to break the fudd-opoly.... and they have to be willing to break some eggs and some long standing seat occupations, to do it. (this includes voting off members who are more along the lines of useful idiot variety than true troublemakers.... the "hurr durr" guy gets all his power from these people because they just go along and rubber stamp him. When it comes down to it you know there are only 1 or 2 guys at the core of this BS, maybe 3 tops. Identify them, run them out of the club on a rail, and you'll get the events back.

-Mike

Last edited:
This is the downside of a democratic/republican system of rule. Sometimes the "wrong" decision gets made.

As DrGrant says, if you want change, you have to initiate it.

Different Clubs have different foci - in my local area, there are a couple "all around" Clubs (Southborough is one of these - nice balance of shootin' and social events) and a couple that are more of the "Bar with Range attached" type. Different strokes, and no slam at the other types - it's the choice of the Members.

Back
Top Bottom