• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bad News from New Bedford

This isn't about action shooting, it's about some fudd, or fudds trying to empire build to protect their little legion of fudd activities.
My guess is that its about ego and power.

I wonder how many people here on NES are members at NB and didn't show up to vote at the election? Might have made a difference... Out of about 700 members I bet only 100 or less showed up to vote. I bet if 30 or 40 of us joined their club before next years election we could change the whole BOD.

Who's in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

I wonder how many people here on NES are members at NB and didn't show up to vote at the election? Might have made a difference... Out of about 700 members I bet only 100 or less showed up to vote. I bet if 30 or 40 of us joined their club before next years election we could change the whole BOD.

Who's in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.
You must be a member for 1 year before you are eligible to vote.

From what I have read it seems like it is the choice of the BOD not the members.

Yes, and the BoD is elected (I'm guessing) by the members.

As was said on Doctor Who, "Every oligarchy gets the Castellan it deserves".

A BoD can be either a good or bad thing. This is why members have to keep an eye on them...just like elected officials.

It really puzzles me why clubs have begun mandating no side berm shooting. I truly believe it is just purely out of the lack of understanding what the sport entails.
Or it could be that the berms are not constructed to NRA standards and the club has NRA insurance.

Just a guess.

Or it could be that the berms are not constructed to NRA standards and the club has NRA insurance.

Just a guess.

There is a lot more hanging things on "insurance issues" than is actually the case. I've been involved in the club's insurance application and, although we did not go with NRA coverage, there was no examination of the range.

NRA range stds

Just a guess.

We had an NRA Range TAC team come down and look at our ranges about 5 years ago. Granted it was before we put in our IDPA pits but in essence the report we got was generic in nature. It read like something that was heavily influenced by legal advice.

As to NRA range design standards. We sent some folks to the Range Design workshop a few years back when it was in prov ri. Very focused towards commercial ranges which is fine but the designs for outdoor ranges with both overhead and ground baffles and berms was way beyond the financial scope of most private clubs. The range designs seemed something only a "publicly funded" entity could afford.

WRT getting action style shooting approved by a Board, we went thru it in 2013 and the primary concern was round escape. In the end there were some board members who were adamant against it because of the edge case. But enough understood you can't guarantee it won't happen but we felt at least we could show we had taken significant mitigation measures to prevent it.

In the end if something happens everyone gets sued no matter how good a range or procedures or whatever. The only thing that matters is how much money does the club have and whats the insurance coverage.

The hardest thing for me to understand is that a membership meeting cant override a board decision.

I wish them luck and am very sorry for the loss of a great facility.

What all this means is that new, different people and clubs will need to step up and fill the gaps. I am sure NB will be back in the future as will Manville, but it will be whenever it is so ion the mean time...

Wow.... This sucks.... I haven't done much action shooting the past season, because I have spent all my time working on start on opening my gun store. I got my start on a very cold and rainy sunday in New Bedford.
Plus the drama in Foxboro at Independent. Destroying great matches over a non issue.
Thanks thanks thanks to the New Bedford crew and all the hard work they put in over the years!

I have read this thread and share in the disappointment. I know someone that argues that very few members shoot IDPA/USPSA etc. I find that hard to believe, but does anyone have the numbers and an estimate on income from these sports?

I really hope that this gets turned around. NB and the guys there really were top notch.

Any chance of reviving USPSA or idpa matches at New Bedford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matches at NB. But you can still show up on Friday night and get shit faced while carrying guns... No problems there.

I've said it before so I might as well say it again, the best payback and best chance of getting things back on the right track is to get the clubs liqueur permits revoked. The FUDDs will bring their own for a while but that'll get old and they'll wander off.

Back
Top Bottom