• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bad eyesight at the range

Yup, Doctor Stu is our resident eye guy. Top notch.

My eyes are just a little old, I get 1.25 or 1.5x safety glasses and they work great for me. Not sure if that will help your buddy, but it is easy enough to try.
I even got some tinted 1.25 ones for riding the bike and it makes reading the signs much easier. good luck to him and welcome.
Thanks aprreciate the suggestion. I couple other people mentioned those, turns ot Amazon has quite the selection for cheap👌🏻

He should probably talk to Idoktr (Stewart Ginsburg) It's a bit of a haul to Natick but Dr. Ginsburg might be able to recommend someone closer.
he works out of more than one office, check out his web site, there may be a closer location. I drive down from NH to Burlington, he also works out of Peabody I think.

If you're trying to solve a shooting eyesight issue, go to an eye doctor that shoots. I can't find his youtube right now, but he's done a little shooting.

he works out of more than one office, check out his web site, there may be a closer location. I drive down from NH to Burlington, he also works out of Peabody I think.

If you're trying to solve a shooting eyesight issue, go to an eye doctor that shoots. I can't find his youtube right now, but he's done a little shooting.
Thanks for the recommendation. I work in Burlington and Natick only. A genetic degenerative optic nerve condition obviously has no cure, so magnification glasses would be a great option. Iron sights vs red dot would also be trial and error based on the individual.
By the way, my youtube is my name Stewart Ginsberg

Not sure where you are located but I go to Salem Vision Center in Salem NH for all my glasses including shooting. Ask for Steven and tell him that Irish Alan sent you. Dr. Michael Onyon will do your eye test and Steven will fit you for glasses. I brought in all manner of guns and my compound bow and everyone is totally okay with it. I live in Harvard MA and have lots of eye docs that are closer so clearly Steven and co are doing something right to get my money. Also, red dots are your friends, I will not buy a gun that is not optic ready at this point.

Send him to Doc Ginsburg
This is your best option especially if your looking to correct your at the range fun shooting.
Theres a range of “eye” problems

If hes just having a hard time seeing the sights clearly he can pick up some safety glasses in different diopters and see what works.
For reading I need a +1.5
For shooting I use a +1.0 anything stronger things get wonky down range.
Also take some opaque tape and apply it to the non aiming lens just enough to block the vision of the non aiming eye this will help to aim with out closing the non aiming eye and lets a lot of needed light into your eyes.
I have a grey blob when I look through a aperture style sight.
Im not a big pistol shooter and when I do shoot pistol I usually shoot with non corrective glasses as thats how I am out in daily life.

unnamed-1.jpg

Pistols equipped with Red Dot's, Laser's and even Flashlights can help with "Aging Eyes".
Here is a S&W Shield Plus "Optics Ready". This one is equiped with a StreamLight TLR-6
Light/Laser
combination and a SwampFox Sentinel Red Dot.

If you happen to reside in a free state; this pistol has (3) different magazines that fit it; A 10, 13 or 15 round magazine is available.

I haven't been to the eye doctor a single time in my life. I turned 40 this year. Reading through this thread got me to make a an appointment with @Idoktr for next week. I feel like my eyes are great, but with the luck I have with the rest of my health, he's probably going to have to make me a pirate.

It's an irreversible genetic optic nerve issue so unfortunately there's no corrective options surgical or nonsurgical. Only thing that really helps is magnification or zooming in but of course magnification doesn't help with distance and zooming doesn't help with up close. Mostly it's trial and error with various visual aids to see what helps the best.
True, but Stewie will be an excellent source of knowlege as to which aids aid more aidfully.

Three things:

1. Absolutely send him to an eye doctor.

B. Appleseed instructor once asked a nearly blind old codger how in hell he earned rifleman. The guy said he just put the middle of the blur on the post. (Peep sights)

Ok, two things.

Three things:

1. Absolutely send him to an eye doctor.

B. Appleseed instructor once asked a nearly blind old codger how in hell he earned rifleman. The guy said he just put the middle of the blur on the post. (Peep sights)

Ok, two things.

It works for me shooting M1A irons at 600 yds. Line up the post within the aperture on the blurry black dot. My groups ain't pretty, but it's a major accomplishment for me considering how bad my eyes are.

Back
Top Bottom