• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AZ - Jose Guerena Shot 60 Times By SWAT Team

The wife of a Tucson man killed in a Pima County SWAT raid May 5 pleaded for five minutes with 911 dispatchers to send an ambulance for her mortally wounded husband, audio records show.

Often through tears and sometimes in broken English, Vanessa Guerena, tells 911 operators that her husband had been shot by a "bunch of people" who opened the door of their southwest-side home and "just shoot him." Meanwhile, dispatchers worked to determine if she was calling from a house where the SWAT team was serving a search warrant, audio released Friday by Drexel Heights Fire Department reveals. It takes about an hour for waiting medics to know what happened, and the man is dead before fire crews are allowed into the home.

Jose Guerena, 26, a former Marine, was sleeping after the graveyard shift at Asarco Mission mine about 9:30 a.m. when his wife woke him saying she heard noises outside and a man was at their window. Guerena told his wife to hide in a closet with their 4-year-old son, his wife has said. He grabbed an AR-15 rifle.....

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_b3177522-baa0-5c9e-9f0d-d3d7da6e9e4b.html

The Pima County Sheriff’s Department will release no more information about the circumstances surrounding the killing of Jose Guerena during the serving of a search warrant by the department’s SWAT officers May 5 at his home.

Two weeks after the shooting the department has yet to disclose exactly what they were searching for in the Guerena home as well as three other residences in the area that were subjects of a drug investigation. Court documents that show what officers were searching for in the case have been sealed and what was seized as evidence has also been sealed.

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, through a department spokesman Tuesday morning, declined an interview request.

No one from the department will comment about the case until the investigation is complete, Deputy Jason Ogan said Tuesday. There is no timeframe for when the investigation will be over, he said.....

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_13c1bf16-80b6-11e0-87f1-001cc4c002e0.html

The Pima County Sheriff's Department must explain the circumstances that led to SWAT officers firing 71 bullets at a former Marine inside his house while serving a search warrant.

The man, Jose Guerena, was hit 60 times and died while medics were kept outside and his wife pleaded with 911 dispatchers for help.

The wall of silence put up by the Sheriff's Department is alarming. Sheriff Clarence Dupnik has refused to answer questions about the May 5 shooting.

What's more, the court documents that explain what officers were looking for at Guerena's home, or in three nearby homes that were also part of a drug investigation, have been sealed. Documents detailing what was seized as evidence have also been made secret.

Echavarri's reporting has unearthed details from the 911 call Guerena's wife, Vanessa, made while she and their young son were hiding in the closet.....

http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/article_c74d45b2-309f-52cb-a4a6-dd219f43c3fb.html

New details are emerging in the case of an Iraq war vet shot and killed by

SWAT team members serving a warrant.

Monday the Pima County sheriff's department admitted the man did not fire at them first.

Tuesday, his wife gave her side of the story.....

http://www.fox11az.com/news/local/Wife-of-man-shot-by-Tucson-SWAT-tells-story-121651814.html

She claims her husband was wrongly killed in a SWAT raid and in 911 tapes just released by the Drexel Heights Fire Department, you can hear the desperation in Vanessa Gurena's voice as she pleads for them to help her husband Jose after he was shot.

Vanessa Guerena called 911 after her husband Jose was shot.

Where's, where is your husband at right now?
He's on the floor.
He's inside the house?
Yes, he's on the floor, can you please hurry up.

According to reports, the SWAT members fired at the former Marine who was holding a rifle with the safety on.

His wife explains to the operator what she'd seen.....

http://www.fox11az.com/news/local/SWAT-shooting-calls-122062434.html

isn't dupnik the same sheriff who was pretty vocal about politics playing a role in the shooting by that laughner idiot? what politics were involved in this shooting, sharif?
eta: ^ he beat me to it

Yeah, just another isolated incident.

[popcorn] (I'm waiting for all the usual NES "war on drugs" apologists to come out of the woodwork).

-Mike

How many freakin' rounds did they let go to actually hit him 60 times?!!??! The stats I've heard from people familiar with and actively working in LE training are quite surprising.....................

ETA: Just saw it says they fired 71 rounds. Seems like they're extraordinarily accurate.

This kind of crap really freaks me out. My wife and I have discussed things like home invasions and protecting our family hundreds of times, this kind of thing could easily happen to us. Armed people spotted outside, of course you take steps to protect your family. Honestly this scares me more than actual home invaders. We've discussed how bad it would go if they shot my dog too. What the hell is a man (or woman) supposed to do to protect his family?!?

This kind of crap really freaks me out. My wife and I have discussed things like home invasions and protecting our family hundreds of times, this kind of thing could easily happen to us. Armed people spotted outside, of course you take steps to protect your family. Honestly this scares me more than actual home invaders. We've discussed how bad it would go if they shot my dog too. What the hell is a man (or woman) supposed to do to protect his family?!?

The odds are probably still pretty slim, but there is not much you can do. Living out in the middle of nowhere might reduce the risk of "wrong address" though.

-Mike

Stories like this are going to continue until people start shooting anyone that feels they have the right to waltz in your front door in the dead of night.

No-knock warrants couldn't be any more dangerous and really need to go away.

With the attitudes that are in place, I see it as a very small step from the over-reaction to finding some spent .22 brass on the floor of a school to incidents like this. From the info available, seems like a trained marine addressed an unknown armed threat on his property with his weapon on safe. Comparitively inexperienced trigger happy nervous cops mowed him down at the mere sight of a weapon. Seriously, 60 shots? At what point do you stop pissing your pants to realize he is no longer (was not to begin with) a threat.

You would think that with the negative press the PD would release any evidence that proves they were in the right. One thing that really stands out is the dispatchers trying to determine if it was SWAT that did the shooting. You would assume they know where the warrants are being served or at the very least be able to determine pretty quickly what residences the swat team was at. At least that is my assumption

But its the police, they cant do any wrong. Afterall, its their job to enforce laws [STRIKE]protect & serve[/STRIKE]!

This military style approach that the police use, and obviously have difficultly controlling needs to end.

FIFY
Check the cruisers out these days. Many of them have been relabeled "law enforcement" not "protect and serve"
[puke][puke][puke]

Back
Top Bottom