Attorney sues Portsmouth police over gun license denial! We need to follow this case

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20131110-NEWS-311100334

A Seacoast lawyer is firing back at the Portsmouth Police Department for its failure to renew his license to carry a concealed weapon, based on the fact his three references didn't return police calls for verification.

The lawyer and Portsmouth resident, Randall Pratt, filed a legal complaint against Portsmouth Police Chief Stephen DuBois, which also challenges the requirement for three references on state-issued applications for conceal-carry licenses. Pratt is asking a judge to overrule the Police Department's denial of his conceal-carry license, to penalize the police chief and to order the Police Department to reimburse him for his legal costs.

Pratt referred Seacoast Sunday to his legal complaint filed with the Portsmouth Circuit Court and said he has "nothing else to add."

Portsmouth City Attorney Robert Sullivan said it is "the police chief's obligation to determine the suitability of a person to carry a loaded concealed firearm," adding, "I think the evidence will show that (Pratt) expressly requested a denial."

"It appears his primary objection is to the form, which is issued by the state," Sullivan said.

The debate is scheduled to be heard by a judge on Tuesday and if evidence does show Pratt requested a denial, it'll be a strong indicator that his case is a statewide legal challenge on its way to the N.H. Supreme Court.

Prosecutor Rena DiLando is scheduled to represent Portsmouth police at Tuesday's hearing and said when Pratt's pistol license renewal was denied, none of his three references returned police calls. Therefore, DiLando said, Pratt's application was incomplete. "Without all of the information requested, the police chief cannot make a determination about an applicant's suitability to carry a concealed and loaded firearm," DiLando said. "Our department does not deny people out of hand."

Pratt's pleading to the court says he filed his renewal application on Sept. 19 and he refers to New Hampshire "shall issue" law. New Hampshire is considered a "shall issue" state, meaning state law says authorities must grant conceal-carry permits to applicants who meet specific criteria, without proof of so-called good cause. In contrast, laws in "may issue" states give issuing authorities more discretion about issuing conceal-carry licenses.

Court records show Portsmouth police notified Pratt, in writing, that it was required by law to approve or deny his application within 14 days of his application and that his references had not responded.

Pratt claims in his court pleading that he responded by contacting police Capt. Mike Schwartz about the "threatened denial" of the license. Schwartz, he alleges, was "unresponsive and offered no explanation as to the relationship between a lack of response from a reference and the 'shall issue' requirement" in state law.

Court records include a copy of a letter signed by Schwartz and dated Oct. 1. That letter informs Pratt that his license was denied and "to date, none of the references listed on your application have responded; therefore your application is incomplete."

Schwartz also advised Pratt of his right to appeal the denial in court.

In Pratt's appeal, he argues state law doesn't require or mention references and "has no requirement that references respond and no requirement that a reference respond in any particular time, place or manner."

Penny Dean, a Concord attorney and Second Amendment advocate, said Pratt is "absolutely right." Dean said she has about a dozen licenses to carry concealed weapons in as many states and that New Hampshire is the only one to ask for references. She also agrees with Pratt that the law doesn't mandate that applicants' references must respond and asked, "How many people are stupid enough to put down people who hate them?"

DiLando said police are mandated to use an application form distributed by the state Department of Safety that "has a spot for three references."

"We use that to determine if an applicant is a suitable person," said the police prosecutor. "This is the only form we can use. It says on it that no other form shall be used."

She also asks, "Why else would the form ask for three references?"

The form wasn't created arbitrarily, DiLando said. "It was sent to the joint legislative commission on public rules and was opened to public comment," she said. "The Legislature created the form and this is what we're authorized to use."

Further, DiLando said, "The applicant can chose the three people who are their references."

Pratt counters in his legal appeal that Portsmouth police shifted the burden of proof to him regarding his suitability to carry a concealed weapon, in contrast to the "shall issue" mandate in state law. And because the Police Department has the "unfettered authority" to revoke conceal-carry licenses at any time, Pratt argues, the department's claim that it was concerned about public safety while denying his renewal is "baseless."

DiLando said Portsmouth police contact people with incomplete applications, tell them the forms are incomplete and extend offers to give them more time to respond.

Pratt tells the court that state law allows a judge "to substitute its judgement" over a police department's and allows for him to be reimbursed for attorney's fees and costs if he wins the legal dispute. He wrote that the law also allows for personal liability if an official who denied a conceal-carry license "acted in bad faith."

Pratt asks the court to order the Police Department to grant his conceal-carry license, to pay his costs and fees for the court action and to "impose sanctions" on the police department "in an amount sufficient to deter" it from "failing to comply with the law in the future."

The legal debate is scheduled to be heard Tuesday by Circuit Court Judge Stephen Morrison.

Another completely ignorant "NH" police chief who should be doing time in an orange jumpsuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
he should move to MA [rofl]

[laugh2]

So, this sounds like they called the three references and left them voicemails. Those calls weren't returned in an undefined timely fashion, so his application was rejected. If it was the other way around and the applicant called the PD to provide some information and his call wasn't returned, I wonder whose fault it would be [thinking].

He wrote that the law also allows for personal liability if an official who denied a conceal-carry license "acted in bad faith."

Well, now this part is interesting. It gives the chief (or whoever the issuing agent is) a little skin in the game.

Ok, so its NH......its more likely to and regularly happens in MA. My post will be amended.

Interesting that the mere layout of a form is being interpreted as law and the burden of proof is forced on the applicant. The ruling on this case will undoubtedly show the direction NH is heading in terms of state level gun law.

I never understood the three references thing anyway. Unless the coppers also background check the references, what good does it do? You could have John Wayne Gacy and Moamar Ghaddafi on your reference list, and could get a license if they'd give the cops a thumbs up.

Interesting as my NH nonresident renewal was just returned as incomplete for not relisting my references.

Go get them Attorney Pratt

I had the 3 references listed but none of them ever said the state of NH called them for anything (when applying for NH non-res).

I did not know they had suitability laws there, too. I thought NH was a shall issue? Free state my ass.

I had the 3 references listed but none of them ever said the state of NH called them for anything (when applying for NH non-res).

Probably because the state people have better things to do. Whereas it sounds like this CoP is looking for ways to deny people.

PD don't really care. The tax payers lose out. no accountability for any LEOs.

There have been issues in Portsmouth for a while. The local JBT's have gone after open carriers. This Chief will lose, he will end up paying all the legal fees out of his own pocket.

Probably because the state people have better things to do. Whereas it sounds like this CoP is looking for ways to deny people.

Could be the state handles them a bit different.

Once thing I find interesting is on the form itself there is no place for your references phone numbers. I just looked at the form I sent in and it is only name and mailing address. So unless they are looking up peoples phone numbers to actually call them I am not sure how they would get them unless people put them on there somewhere.

Could be the state handles them a bit different.

Once thing I find interesting is on the form itself there is no place for your references phone numbers. I just looked at the form I sent in and it is only name and mailing address. So unless they are looking up peoples phone numbers to actually call them I am not sure how they would get them unless people put them on there somewhere.

Some towns have claimed (wrongly) that you have to provide phone numbers, and try to refuse to accept applications that don't have a number listed. Some were changing the form to include a place for the references phone number- but that has been quashed by the courts. Nothing prevents the police from asking for phone numbers- but there is also no requirement that they be provided.

The application is clear in that a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or NH law shall be deemed a suitable person, and the license shall be issued within 14 days, unless the licensing authority can show by clear and convincing evidence that the person is a prohibited person. RSA159:6 does not have a definition of suitable person within it.

There have been issues in Portsmouth for a while. The local JBT's have gone after open carriers. This Chief will lose, he will end up paying all the legal fees out of his own pocket.

Except thats not anywhere near my experience. I a NESr and a friend were OCing at starbucks during one of the "appreciation days." We met a cop who just happened to come in when we did who was cool. We saw two other Portsmouth cops come over when they were harassing someone with an open container (who wasn't bothering anyone I might add). Not only were the cops nice, they were supportive of us OCing and one of em even had an FFL!

As to the references thing, there has to be more to the story. The CoP must hate Pratt or something because my references have never been contacted by Lee or for renewal in Barrington. My roommate just got his a couple weeks back, the Lee police not only didn't check references (I was a reference), they issued it in three days. A friend who got his CCL this year in Manchester didn't have references checked either, AND he even had a criminal record!!!!!!! (minor misdemeanors)

The CoP has no actual legal basis anyway since the law specifically directs the state police to create the form.

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. (a) The selectmen of a town, the mayor or chief of police of a city or a full-time police officer designated by them respectively, the county sheriff for a resident of an unincorporated place, or the county sheriff if designated by the selectmen of a town that has no police chief, upon application of any resident of such town, city, or unincorporated place, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

(b) The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.

II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

Last edited:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20131110-NEWS-311100334
Snipped info about a NH Lawyer getting his rights violated.

Wassup free staters.

I have to admit when I first read this I was thinking "FKN Mass CoP at it again". Slightly surprised to see it was happening in NH. I hope this Portsmough CoP ghet his ass handed to him in court, and the legal fee bill is massive. Get the locals rile dup and have this ass run out of the state (Just don't send him to Mass please).

How weird is it that not one of my reference was conmtacted when I was going through the process in for my LTC in Mass, but some asshat CoP in NH is actually refusing to renew based on not being able to contact the refernces of this guy? Bizzaro world.

Last edited:
Wassup free staters.

I have to admit when I first read this I was thinking "FKN Mass CoP at it again". Slightly surprised to see it was happening in NH. I hope this Portsmough CoP ghet his ass handed to him in court, and the legal fee bill is massive. Get the locals rile dup and have this ass run out of the state (Just don't send him to Mass please).

How weird is it that not one of my reference was conmtacted when I was going through the process in for my LTC in Mass, but some asshat CoP in NH is actually refusing to renew based on not being able to contact the refernces of this guy? Bizzaro world.

Read my post above, the CoP has no legal basis. The only reason for the denial has to be for a different reason, like him hating the applicant.

Even if the CoP gets "a slap on the wrist", and the Judge orders the issuance of the license, The CoP by statute is personally on the hook for all the legal expenses.

Public employee immunity or at least the protection of skin in the game is a MAJOR problem with cops but any public employee. They have no fear and without that fear of personal responsibility, they are prone to act far beyond their bounds.

This alone should be grounds for a ruling in his favor...

In Pratt's appeal, he argues state law doesn't require or mention references and "has no requirement that references respond and no requirement that a reference respond in any particular time, place or manner."

Pratt did complete the form by providing references and fulfilled his non-obligaltion/non-requirment.

Except thats not anywhere near my experience. I a NESr and a friend were OCing at starbucks during one of the "appreciation days." We met a cop who just happened to come in when we did who was cool. We saw two other Portsmouth cops come over when they were harassing someone with an open container (who wasn't bothering anyone I might add). Not only were the cops nice, they were supportive of us OCing and one of em even had an FFL!

As to the references thing, there has to be more to the story. The CoP must hate Pratt or something because my references have never been contacted by Lee or for renewal in Barrington. My roommate just got his a couple weeks back, the Lee police not only didn't check references (I was a reference), they issued it in three days. A friend who got his CCL this year in Manchester didn't have references checked either, AND he even had a criminal record!!!!!!! (minor misdemeanors)

The CoP has no actual legal basis anyway since the law specifically directs the state police to create the form.

I think the other "more to the story" is that Pratt obviously informed his references to not return the phone calls and is voluntarily offering himself to be the test case challenging the references requirement.

I have a non-resident NH permit to cc, none of my references have ever been called/contacted. The Chief just sounds like he's just being douchie....

NH is shall issue and this was a renewal? Almost seems illogical to provide 3 references on a renewal in a shall issue. I don't believe that "references didn't return calls" is one of the valid reasons for denying a shall issue.

...adding, "I think the evidence will show that (Pratt) expressly requested a denial."

The attorney should have been issued a license but if you look at the above quote his court case may not be as successful as he thinks. Here's my guess; Police chief doesn't issue license in the alloted period of time. Attorney gets annoyed and starts pressing chief. Chief claims he's waiting to hear back from references. Attorney tells Chief that by statute he has to provide a yes or no in the specified time frame. Chief says if I have to do it now it will be a 'no'. Lawyer says go ahead deny me and I'll take you to court.

ETA Judge is going to be annoyed that he even has to deal with this.

I live in Portsmouth and have not had a problem. Portsmouth sends a letter to the references asking; never heard of a phone call. I was just wondering if the applicant in this case is a 2nd amendment supporter or if this is a set up and gun grabbers trying to establish a bad suitability precedent via the courts in NH? Anyone know him?

Even if the CoP gets "a slap on the wrist", and the Judge orders the issuance of the license, The CoP by statute is personally on the hook for all the legal expenses.

I meant the slap to be all-inclusive, being aware of the CoP's liability. Good thing!

Public employee immunity or at least the protection of skin in the game is a MAJOR problem with cops but any public employee. They have no fear and without that fear of personal responsibility, they are prone to act far beyond their bounds.

It's a bit different for NH LEO's with regards to the few pages of firearms legislation in the Free State and I like that particular part of it.

Back
Top Bottom