Atten Mass Shooters

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
I just recieved word from Jim Wallace at GOAL that H 4552 has passed the house on a voice vote- GREAT NEWS! This bill will allow the sale of many banned target guns in Mass. We need you to call your local senator to express a yes vote on H 4552" an act to preserve target shooting" This will help all of us in the long run. Many fine target guns will be made legal in the state. This includes SA cowboy guns and many target 1911's. I hope you will call you senator. And hats off to GOAL. GREG DERR

"hank god I can buy a real DCM .45!"

News to me, and I've got 3 DCM guns. Since when does the DCM distribute HANDGUNS?

And where do I sign up for one? 8)

Scrivener said:
"hank god I can buy a real DCM .45!"

News to me, and I've got 3 DCM guns. Since when does the DCM distribute HANDGUNS?

And where do I sign up for one? 8)

You silly bastard, you need to learn how to quote properly. DCM legal .45 that is. [wink]

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. 8)

Actually, some of us were looking for CMP to distribute 1911A1's. Never happened, and I KNOW they wouldn't get any now, since the M9 has been the issue for a bunch of years now.

Who will detemine what a target gun is vs. a defensive gun? Will this make it so we can buy any handgun but if it isn't MA compliant we can't use it for self defense but only target?

If this is true then it's great news for all of us.

Pete

Reality checks are definitely in order!

FIRST, all this rampant speculation presupposes that:

1. The Senate passes it without amendment; and

2. Romney signs it.

If, as and when all that happens, the "target exemption" now in the CMR will also be part of the MGL; it also means that components will not be treated as live ammunition.

"so we will be able to buy all the sti guns now??

I doubt you could afford to "buy all the sti [sic] guns," even if Skinner certified them all as target guns. As he's certified NONE in this state, don't hold your breath. Buy a better gun from a company that, unlike STI, has stood by its Mass. customers: SVI.

And no; it does NOT mean the floodgates are open. It means that the manufacturer must certify the gun as complying with the "formal target shooting competition" requirement to the satisfaction (presumably) of both GCAB and the AG. We'll have to read the fine print to see how, or even IF, that issue is addressed and resolved.

Yes> there are some issues to be worked out. But the bill has the backing of the AG's office , did get out of the Public Safety Comm (Sen. Barrios) with an endoresment. Gov. Romney will sign it. The Senate could make changes, but Jim Wallace has done wonders so far. As for the floodgate opening. I don't think that will happen. I do think this will allow for some of the target guns that many shooters have wanted in the state since 1998 will come back. The details of who will determine what a target gun is have not been fully vetted. I have been to FCB meeting in the past and feel that there is an understanding on the board about what constitutes a target gun. Our focus should be to get the bill into law as written. Greg

"I have been to FCB meeting in the past and feel that there is an understanding on the board about what constitutes a target gun."

Okay - what is the FCB?

Ok, so I'm thinking when do we think that this will be coming down the pike.

I guess my thing is that I want to look for some SAAs, but if this is coming pretty soon, I might be better to just hold off...

So, for you law people, how long does these steps usually take?

1. The Senate passes it without amendment; and

2. Romney signs it.

C-pher,

A bill can "fast track" and be signed off within a few weeks. This is only likely for an "anti-gun" bill.

It can languish forever and die, especially in an election year when any "perceived weakening" of our horrific gun ownership laws might give ammunition to the anti-gunners as being "weak on crime"!

Bottom line, it can be passed anywhere from a few weeks to never! I wouldn't be out celebrating just yet, I'd wait until the ink dries on the Gov's signature!

That's all I wanted to know.

Then I'm looking for some Colt Clones this weekend, and if I see them, then I'll just buy them.

That's all was wanting to know. Do I buy SAAs if I see them Saturday? Or do I just wait a few months and maybe get them for a hundred or so less because you can find them in MA now.

Thanks Len.

Coyote33 said:
Thanks.

Now, can we get GOAL to get it so we can get modern high capacity magazines in MA?

I was told at the end of last year that the answer was "NO". I spoke at length with Jim Wallace about it and he said that we simply don't have enough support in the legislature to get the mag ban lifted.

I have NOT given up on that issue. After becoming a Glock "Family", I find the pre-ban vs. banned mag issue so damn muddy that I am more determined than ever that this issue MUST BE ADDRESSED ASAP!

As a "hint" [wink] if this is important to GOAL Members, let GOAL know that . . . push them gently to get this issue on the table. Not so much so that we can have them, but to avoid potential Felony charges because we are lied to, can't figure out readily what is OK and what is illegal, etc.! [We won't get much sympathy in the legislature on "more bullets" but we might win this one on the confusion that can lead to the conviction of a good citizen who had tried to do the right thing!]

Okay let's say that the bill passes and a great many types of target pistols and revolvers are now legal to purchase here.

Scenario: You are going to renew your ALP LTC. The town firearms licensing officer, Police Corporal Richard Head (acting on behalf of Chief I.M. Hundscheisse) looks at your paperwork and then says: "well according to records (which are available, BTW) you purchased three target type pistols in the last two years." You reply, "well I have done a lot of target shooting." Corporal Head: "Well, if that is the case, you don't need an ALP, I'm going to downgrade you to a Sport and Target Restriction."

I'm sure that many of you will groan and say...it can't happen here, that's far fetched. Well here in Massachusetts even a good law could be turned against you...and is it really so far fetched ?

Mark

LenS said:
Coyote33 said:
Thanks.

Now, can we get GOAL to get it so we can get modern high capacity magazines in MA?

I was told at the end of last year that the answer was "NO". I spoke at length with Jim Wallace about it and he said that we simply don't have enough support in the legislature to get the mag ban lifted.

I have NOT given up on that issue. After becoming a Glock "Family", I find the pre-ban vs. banned mag issue so damn muddy that I am more determined than ever that this issue MUST BE ADDRESSED ASAP!

As a "hint" [wink] if this is important to GOAL Members, let GOAL know that . . . push them gently to get this issue on the table. Not so much so that we can have them, but to avoid potential Felony charges because we are lied to, can't figure out readily what is OK and what is illegal, etc.! [We won't get much sympathy in the legislature on "more bullets" but we might win this one on the confusion that can lead to the conviction of a good citizen who had tried to do the right thing!]
This brings up an interesting point -

Suppose there was a chance of a hi-cap opening (say an "LTC-A+" if the applicant could show a specific need such as competition in which these were used?

If (and I know it's a mightly big if) GOAL could get this passed, would it be a good thing, or would giving the chief's even more regulatory authority make it a net loss?

Assume, for the sake of argument, that this was the only way the door could be opened at all and that the alternative of "just repeal the dang thing" is not available.

Mark,

You buy a Glock 17 as well as the 3 target pistols! [lol]

Truthfully, most Licensing Officers/Chiefs wouldn't know a target pistol from a defensive handgun!

Could it happen, yes . . . but the likelihood of getting hit by lightning as you leave the PD with your new LTC in your left hand is a bit higher than this!

Rob,

BAD IDEA!!

We don't need more, further confusing LTC classifications. I'm with Ron Glidden on this one . . . 1 LTC (covers any/all handguns plus all long guns) and 1 FID card (covering all long guns only) plus decriminalize chemical sprays completely (no license required).

LTC-A+ would be an opportunity to restrict further . . . e.g. hi-caps only for competition, etc.

Better to fix what we have rather than make another 100 laws as sub-paragraphs of the abortion we live with now.

I don't really think that LE is against hi-caps for commoners. I think it is more a deal where the legislators are scared to death of what the HCI crowd will do to them at election time. . . e.g. soft on crime, spray 'n pray baby killers allowed enough ammo to mow down an entire sports stadium without reloading, ad nauseum!

Back
Top Bottom