• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Is Not Approving NFA submissions from MA

How are you to go about that?

Suggestion from the cheap seats?

Keep your stamp application in while pursuing any other avenue. That way if there's any type of action taken against Maura, or the ATF reviews and changes their "mind", your application is still queued.

Got my 07 FFL in December and will be applying for my SOT in a few months. If anyone can get their FFL, I recommend it. Transfers, sales, and manufacturing are a few of the positives.

Got my 07 FFL in December and will be applying for my SOT in a few months. If anyone can get their FFL, I recommend it. Transfers, sales, and manufacturing are a few of the positives.
Way to go. 24 of us now here in the mill in Littleton. 24 gun dealers and two chemistry labs under one roof. Quite the operation. Fun times. Jack.

Transfers, sales, and manufacturing are a few of the positives.
If you are manufacturing, remember that you need a $2250/uear ITAR registration even if you are not exporting ... unless your manufacturing is purely for R&D purposes. (Yeah, we'e only doing R&D so we can sell patents on anything we invent.....)

If you are manufacturing, remember that you need a $2250/uear ITAR registration even if you are not exporting ... unless your manufacturing is purely for R&D purposes. (Yeah, we'e only doing R&D so we can sell patents on anything we invent.....)

ITAR comes into play when sales occur as in Mfg items for sales.

I starting to think im out of my mind not getting my ff. The money ill be paying this year to my current dealer just for his services would cover the ffl and sot.

Im sure ill get to it at some point, between family and friends i feel it would almost be cost neutral and there would be some money to be made if i had the ffl.

Its also the only way id ever be able to get the m134 i dream of....getting a law letter for one of those is laughable, but for some reason i think i could get it.

So I just ran into Marsha at the LL Bean kiosk in the Pru - she was returning a stack of flannel shirts and bad jeans that she had bought her wife for the "festive season" (her words), but that she already had - and we got to talking about this whole ATF thing. Apparently she's been super busy lately harassing small businesses and typing up press releases and just hasn't had a chance to respond to their letters. Anyway, she asked me to relay to the ATF that SBRs are cool in MA, and she even laughed (with a strange snorting sound) when I explained that they were concerned that she'd think they were "assault weapons." So to all the ATF agents on here reading this you can definitely go ahead and approve those applications.

Last edited:
Can I still sbr my preban rifle?

Just had an 07 FFL tell me today that he would not transfer a pre 94 unless I could prove it was in MA for five years prior to 94 [angry]

Modifying/SBR (6/16 BAG rules) a pre 94 would probably require showing proof it was in MA for the -5 yrs

Last edited:
I starting to think im out of my mind not getting my ff. The money ill be paying this year to my current dealer just for his services would cover the ffl and sot.

Im sure ill get to it at some point, between family and friends i feel it would almost be cost neutral and there would be some money to be made if i had the ffl.

Its also the only way id ever be able to get the m134 i dream of....getting a law letter for one of those is laughable, but for some reason i think i could get it.

And the coolest part of the SOT, whatever you make that is not a FA, you get to keep, without a stamp, FOREVER!

Just had an 07 FFL tell me today that he would not transfer a pre 94 unless I could prove it was in MA for five years prior to 94 [angry]

Modifying/SBR (6/16 BAG rules) a pre 94 would probably require showing proof it was in MA for the -5 yrs

Wonder how he came up with 5 years versus 6 or 4. Fits with everything else that's going on though, let just make up laws.

What with this prove shit lately, thats not how any of this is suppose to work.

Form 1 approved bitches!

Submitted 2/25

Another member just got approved too. Looks like the ATF is approving them!!

I thought for sure it was going to be a deny but I was very happy to see my stamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an O7 couldn't you just "build" one as an engineering sample? I thought you only need a law letter for an outright transfer. Not sure what the controlled part is on an M134 and how hard it is to
fabricate it, though.

-Mike

Submitted Form 1 (E-File) in March 2016,,, had email as recent as last week saying that the application was on hold:
they said,,,

The notice makes clear that the guidance will not be enforced against gun owners who bought or sold these weapons prior to July 20, 2016. However, it is unclear whether State law permits the possessor of such an "assault weapon" to make an NFA firearm out of the assault weapon after this date, or whether State law would prohibit this action. Because 26 U.S.C. 5822 requires that ATF deny any application to make an NFA firearm if the making “would place the person making the firearm in violation of the law,” ATF is seeking guidance from the Massachusetts Attorney General before it acts on any applications.
Once this issue is resolved, your application will be processed.

Guess what arrived via Email this afternoon,,,, Status changed to APPROVED !!!

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.....(you have to be an old guy to get that one)

That's awesome, please give the details of your SBR's, what caliber and barrel length please just to see if it's all calibers or pistol.

Wonder who paid for the lawyer? Someone had to have lit a fire under their ass. Either that or maybe when they researched this they figured out that the AG is full of shit. [laugh]

-Mike

Wonder who paid for the lawyer? Someone had to have lit a fire under their ass. Either that or maybe when they researched this they figured out that the AG is full of shit. [laugh]

-Mike

Or inauguration is Friday and they said "****it, the old boss is gone"?

Back
Top Bottom