ATF Is Not Approving NFA submissions from MA

So you have to tell them the length of the barrel and the overall length in the application, what if you want to make it a couple inches bigger or smaller? Is it a sbr but only for the length of barrel that you specify? Do you need to pony up another $200 if you change the length?

My understanding goes that if you plan to permanently alter the configuration, you are supposed to notify the ATF. So, something with a fixed barrel that you were going to make even shorter, for example. With ARs and the like, as long as you can "return to original configuration" you should be fine. In my case, just don't get rid of the 10.5" 223 upper

No f***s are given by anyone. Swap calibers, even.

ATF is a tax collecting agency. All they care wrt SBR's is your money, not your barrel length, caliber, or OAL.
If anyone disagrees with that, please provide a single example of ATF checking the barrel length of a legal SBR or quote a law specifying penalties for SBR being in configuration different from what Form 1 says.

Yea. Atf doesnt care about calibers or lengths. Just keep your original config as documented on form 1 and then go nucking futs changing stuff around.

ATF is a tax collecting agency. All they care wrt SBR's is your money, not your barrel length, caliber, or OAL.
If anyone disagrees with that, please provide a single example of ATF checking the barrel length of a legal SBR or quote a law specifying penalties for SBR being in configuration different from what Form 1 says.

If they were interested in "just the taxes" they would have farmed out this Form 1 business to 07s and enabled dealers to sell stamps for SBRs and Suppressors and issue them on the spot and just forward the $$$ to the ATF. (and if they did this, they'd probably get 4 times the revenue if you could turn around a stamp in an hour at a dealer or whatever). The whole reason the NFA exists is because it's obstructionism- they're trying to deter as many people as possible. They only even relented on e-file because if the backlogs had gotten out of control the longer the window is the more likely it is for someone to set up a lawsuit. I agree with you otherwise, though.

-Mike

My understanding goes that if you plan to permanently alter the configuration, you are supposed to notify the ATF. So, something with a fixed barrel that you were going to make even shorter, for example. With ARs and the like, as long as you can "return to original configuration" you should be fine. In my case, just don't get rid of the 10.5" 223 upper

The ATF asks that you notify of permanent changes in configuration, but it is not required.

Im filling this out now, is the CLEO the attorney general in MA? Or is it the chief of police?

If only they had thought to include the instructions on the back of the very form you’re filling out.

Oh, wait. They did.

“g. Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.”

FWIW, I send all my Form 1 and 4 notifications to Col Christopher Wagner, Head of the NH State Police, who I’m sure—even if he sees them—looks at them, thinks “WTF?” and promptly throws them away.

If only they had thought to include the instructions on the back of the very form you’re filling out.

Oh, wait. They did.

“g. Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.”

FWIW, I send all my Form 1 and 4 notifications to Col Christopher Wagner, Head of the NH State Police, who I’m sure—even if he sees them—looks at them, thinks “WTF?” and promptly throws them away.

View: https://youtu.be/5whMwSLnIPY

LOL I wont, but technically the cleo of MA is MH. Thanks for your help.

I don't live in Mass and I can't pretend to know your situation. I would send every Form 4 or eForm 1 notification to her, this is federal law and all she can do is accept the fact its happening. On top of that, I wouldn't want my local CoP to know what I have for machine guns and silencers, f that. When 41f first came down and we didn't need sign off I sent my first Form 1 to the the head of the PA state police. I figured I didn't want to send it to Philly PD. The state police sent it back and gave me a few locations as alternates, I honestly don't think they even knew what it was or thought it still needed signature approval. I wrote a quick note back thanking them for providing proof of notification lol.

Back
Top Bottom