• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Asking For A Friend

Salyeica

NES Member
Can my friend in MA buy his father's pre-Healey-nonsense AR-15 (father lives in NC) assuming an FFL will accept the transfer? If so, would the same rules apply to a stripped lower?

Its probably not MA compliant (bay lug, flash hider, collapsible stock) if its in NC? Dealer can't transfer it unless it is.

I’m sure you can find an FFL that will make it compliant and transfer it. It will probably be cost prohibitive to do so. But as said find an FFL who’s got a set.

Technically not “Pre Healey” if it did not reside within her realm when the royal decree was handed down.
The Queen's reach is far. Try ordering a screw from Aero, a sticker from PMA, or a hat from BCM.

Wait, you "borrowed" that from Dad 4 years ago for legitimate sporting purposes, and have every intention of returning it to him at a future date.

Just make sure Dad leaves it to you in his will.... (then no FFL is needed just a eFA-10 at some point)

Outside of the borrowing trick, getting a FFL down there to transfer it to you then doing a eFA-10 with the seller blank may be a second work around.

Anyone want to chime in on the above?

A FFL down there is probably not going to nit pick the details like a FFL in MA

Tell your friend to pack his bags and go spend some time with his Dad and never look back.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not sure he has the available time to travel to NC and pick up the rifle and bring it back, nor is he comfortable driving it through NY and NJ on the way back, regardless of his protections under FOPA. There was a response indicating that Healey's BS doesn't matter outside MA. Since he's a Mass resident, I imagine it still matters for the transfer to him assuming he doesn't go to NC. I hadn't thought about the evil features issue, but I'm sure the right FFL could make it compliant for him.

The stripped lower was more a question for alternatives other than the complete rifle. I have a Matrix lower from the group buy in Jan 2016 that I have offered to help him be able to build out a compliant rifle. I can easily replace it here in Utah as long as I can find something in stock.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not sure he has the available time to travel to NC and pick up the rifle and bring it back, nor is he comfortable driving it through NY and NJ on the way back, regardless of his protections under FOPA. There was a response indicating that Healey's BS doesn't matter outside MA. Since he's a Mass resident, I imagine it still matters for the transfer to him assuming he doesn't go to NC. I hadn't thought about the evil features issue, but I'm sure the right FFL could make it compliant for him.

The stripped lower was more a question for alternatives other than the complete rifle. I have a Matrix lower from the group buy in Jan 2016 that I have offered to help him be able to build out a compliant rifle. I can easily replace it here in Utah as long as I can find something in stock.
But pre-healey would mean it was in this state before the edict, not that it existed elsewhere.

As long as he doesn't mind committing a Federal felony.

Because that's Federal law?
Well that depends. If NC law doesn't require a license the father could transfer the gun to the son at an FFL. The FFL could do this as long as it meets the WRITTEN laws of Mass. Once back in in Mass the son would have a period of time in which to register. The OPs question was regarding whether a Mass FFL would be needed to accept the transfer. The answer I believe is no. He could do the transfer in NC

Well that depends. If NC law doesn't require a license the father could transfer the gun to the son at an FFL.
You asked "Why does an FFL need to be involved at all?".
The answer: Because that's Federal law.

The FFL could do this as long as it meets the WRITTEN laws of Mass.
The FFL could pitch any attitude on the spectrum from
"Massachusetts? Hell no" to "I don't care if it's illegal - Doc says I've got a month to live".
(In the latter case, I have no idea whether the FFL is the only one committing a Federal crime).

Which encompasses both FFLs that care deeply about press releases,
and FFLs that could not care less about press releases.

Once back in in Mass the son would have a period of time in which to register.
Yep.

The OPs question was regarding whether a Mass FFL would be needed to accept the transfer. The answer I believe is no. He could do the transfer in NC
Let's go to the video tape:

Can my friend in MA buy his father's pre-Healey-nonsense AR-15 (father lives in NC) assuming an FFL will accept the transfer?​

He can't have it shipped directly to his house -
a remote purchase must be received by an FFL in Mass.

If OP's buddy visits NC, it must go through an FFL there.

Whether it must pass through an FFL in NC if shipping to Mass
is a question for NC state law.

Why? Long gun purchases don't have to go through an FFL, do they?
Like @Len-2A Training implied,
there are no interstate FTF guns sales period.

I think high cap rifles do.
There is no Federal loophole for non-high cap rifles/shotguns.

It's a lower
Maybe it's an AR-15; maybe it's a stripped lower.
OP's buddy is "flexible".

5ada74c319ee8645008b46bf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom