Ashland PD and Upgrading my LTC A?

So I live in Somerville and have a hunting/target restriction on my LTC. Somerville from what I have learned does not give out unrestricted licenses that often. I am buying a house in Ashland MA, I am also a member of Ashland fish and game. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the PD there and if so do you think they would be willing to lift the restriction?

The Ashland PD does not treat law abiding LTC holders as if they are a problem. My guess is that you will not have any problem.

I don't know if they can change the restriction on a license issued by another department (I know they could do it on one of the own), so you may have to cough up another $100 - but at least your 5-6 year expiration window will reset.

Chief Rhomer is still in charge and they will issue unrestricted licenses. But until your license expires or a new one is issued Somerville controls your license. Even if someone from APD called SPD and asked to have it changed SPD could tell APD to pound sand. I would venture to guess many agencies would not go through the bother of asking another agency to change a restriction...but it cant hurt to ask

Chief Rhomer is still in charge and they will issue unrestricted licenses. But until your license expires or a new one is issued Somerville controls your license. Even if someone from APD called SPD and asked to have it changed SPD could tell APD to pound sand. I would venture to guess many agencies would not go through the bother of asking another agency to change a restriction...but it cant hurt to ask

the chief could have him renew early, which should take care of that....

Sorry if I'm hijacking, not my intention...

I left my licensing offer a voice mail at 6 months of licensure hoping to get an upgrade (at my application fingerprinting I was given an opportunity to argue for an A instead of a B but declined as I never thought I'd desire to CC, didnt know about the vehicle carry restriction, and it turns out getting a non-resident in other states is near impossible with my B restriction)

My call was never returned, and I don't want to come across as badger.

If anyone has an experience in upgrading before the end of the 5 year term, please weigh in.

Last edited:
Make an appointment with the licensing officer, politely present your request, and be sure to stress that paying an extra $100 now so they can issue a new license under the control of the Ashland PD is not a problem. Better yet, just happen to have a completely filled out new LTC application with you just in case he says that he will issue a new LTC - my guess is they may take the application on the spot. Above all, tell the truth about *ANY* court appearance for *ANY* reason.

The chief actually spoke out against the proposed one gun a month law when interviewed by the Metrowest Daily News saying that it was unfair to persons into the art of shooting.

You picked a great town to move to for several reasons. You'll be just a few minutes away from a great 24x7 gun club (www.hsasports.com)

Last edited:
I'm curious as well. I moved to Ashland in 2007 and my Class A LTC non restricted is expiring sping 2010. Hopefully APD doesn't downgrade me.

Anyone have any experience in general renewing early after moving to a diff town?

I would have a list of reasons why I wanted the change. Perhaps meeting with a Lawyer would help. A lawyer would help you draft a pretty good letter. It helped me. They don't just tell you what to write, but they do help you in reviewing aspects of your daily life that may require you to carry, that you may be over looking.

Good luck

There are plenty of chiefs who are "ALP only, pro gun" but won't sign off on green cards or Form 4s. A friend asked his towns chief in a small central MA town about a green card at dinner when the chief was over on a social visit - the chief told him he was glad to issue unrestricted LTC's, but would not issue any green cards other than his own. One cannot conclude that LTC-A applicants will have problems just because the chief did not sign off on a Form 4.

Green cards are possible in Ashland, but I would not describe their green card process as "bright green".

I live here, been here my whole life. I have not heard of anyone getting a resticted LTC. I was given mine w/out restrictions.
The LEO that does the process is only concerned that you have had the required training.

On the other hand this is a small town, everyone knows each other and if you catch a bad rap, they will find you unsuitable come renewal time.

Back
Top Bottom