Article: GOAL BoD election

As far as Anthony and Moysey, I have had in depth conversations with both of them and they are both personal friends. Moysey has posted his intentions here (Negotiator) and Anthony is not on NES.

That's ok too. I just hope that all the NESers that get a ballot will take the time to fill it out and mail it in.

I hope all the new candidates have gotten out to gun clubs to let people know who they are, otherwise people will ask, "Who are these new people? Never heard of them." I don't think they can count on enough votes coming from their home club/s & NES, as much as I'd like that to be all the votes that they need.

I hope all the new candidates have gotten out to gun clubs to let people know who they are, otherwise people will ask, "Who are these new people? Never heard of them." I don't think they can count on enough votes coming from their home club/s & NES, as much as I'd like that to be all the votes that they need.

Nope, haven't seen anyone at either club I belong to. I made an offer early on, nobody was interested enough to take me up on it.

I think we can predict the outcome, unfortunately.

I tried and my vote is going in.

Nope, haven't seen anyone at either club I belong to. I made an offer early on, nobody was interested enough to take me up on it.

I think we can predict the outcome, unfortunately.

I tried and my vote is going in.

However, there are 8 candidates for 6 positions and 6 of them are NES endorsed. Any way you slice it, we'll get at least 4 NES approved BoD members.

However, there are 8 candidates for 6 positions and 6 of them are NES endorsed. Any way you slice it, we'll get at least 4 NES approved BoD members.

We are looking at improvement, the question is whether it will be enough improvement. An NES endorsement does not mean the candidate will be or has been effective. I for one did not vote for the "NES slate" as I have a difference of opinion with some of the assumptions and judgements driving the selection of that slate. And as important as getting "reform" candidates on the BOD is, it is equally if not more important to get "status quo" directors off the BOD.

Nicole was a member of BR&P with LenS and that membership I believe was a large part of why she was elected to the BOD's.

Yes and Nicole was a very well known and respected member of BR&P, which is largely why she had a lot of support from members.

There is only 1 person from BR&P running for BOD this time and he's also very well known and respected at the club . . .

The question of the day is "Will the new BOD be able to "take the keys away" from the pulse dial conspiracy crew?" (or at least limit the damage they've been causing significantly).

-Mike

As was mentioned in a previous post, thee are NO boxes to check. Should I make boxes or what?

If I make said boxes, will they toss the ballot?

Well, I just circled my choices. Funny that they are the same as the home page. Coincidence, yup.

We are looking at improvement, the question is whether it will be enough improvement. An NES endorsement does not mean the candidate will be or has been effective. I for one did not vote for the "NES slate" as I have a difference of opinion with some of the assumptions and judgements driving the selection of that slate. And as important as getting "reform" candidates on the BOD is, it is equally if not more important to get "status quo" directors off the BOD.

Nice, you probably should have not quit the BoD.

Would you care to elaborate, or if not, let us know who you support? I'd like to know some details, but understand if you can't share them.

Nicole, something is bothering me here.

You were on the BOD and resigned. Details are sketchy, but there were apparently things going on that you felt might put you at the risk of personal liability. OK, cool, that's your call.

But here's the thing, how can you now vote for others to join the BOD and face exactly the same risk that you ran from? Why would you want anyone to participate in that role if the risks are that great.

Something just doesn't add up here. Can you help enlighten us?

Best,

Rich

Getting ready to cast my votes:

Jim Finnerty is Eddie Coyle
Michael Anthony is Mike CDK
Joe Currie is Palladin
Steve Moysey is Negotiator

Jay Beard and Michael Donnelly are also endorsed by NES.
Thank you.
Best regards.

Would you care to elaborate, or if not, let us know who you support? I'd like to know some details, but understand if you can't share them.

I don't feel comfortable announcing exactly what my vote was but I will explain some of my thinking. I do not believe that there is a snowball's chance of Don Kusser being voted off the BOD. The man has the nearly unanimous support of one of the largest clubs in the state and is very well known for getting results on the 2A front and decades of work for GOAL. The GOAL membership at large is not tuned in to the issues we are discussing here. So at least Don will be reelected, regardless of whether one thinks that is good or bad. Since that leaves me five seats to vote for, and I distinctly prefer some candidates over the others, I did not vote for six candidates in order to maximize my individual input. A drop in the bucket, but such is democracy.

Nicole, something is bothering me here.

You were on the BOD and resigned. Details are sketchy, but there were apparently things going on that you felt might put you at the risk of personal liability. OK, cool, that's your call.

But here's the thing, how can you now vote for others to join the BOD and face exactly the same risk that you ran from? Why would you want anyone to participate in that role if the risks are that great.

Something just doesn't add up here. Can you help enlighten us?

Best,

Rich

Don't assume that I haven't talked to the candidates about this issue. Most of them have not displayed any inclination that they desire my opinion but one current candidate and someone who is weighing a run next year have discussed this with me. I told them to be very careful and explained what I understood the risk level to be. They are okay with that. Maybe they think I am too cautious, maybe they are just more comfortable with the risk than I. Their call, they are adults.

Folks - I'm not on this forum as often as I was a while ago, but that said I am still very active in all matters relating to shooting! I made a decision to run for the BoD last fall, after a lot of troubling news started to emerge from the organization, specifically around the actions of the officers and the relationship with GOAL and ToM. My reasons for running are pretty simple - I support the 2A, and feel GOAL is our best means of lobbying in Boston for our rights. I recognize that things are not right, in terms of how the group allocates funds etc, but I am determined to get in there and make a difference. Separate GOAL from ToM, start an in-house electronic version and save GOAL a boat load of money. Support fundraising for the cause and fight for our rights. I know it will not be an easy task, but it is one I am ready to put my weight behind and get the job done.

I am an American by choice. I came to the USA from the UK in 1993 for a two year assignment, but like many things in life, that plan didn't pan out! I fell in love with the country, our freedoms and my future wife in that order, but don't tell her :)

Steve Moysey

Folks - I'm not on this forum as often as I was a while ago, but that said I am still very active in all matters relating to shooting! I made a decision to run for the BoD last fall, after a lot of troubling news started to emerge from the organization, specifically around the actions of the officers and the relationship with GOAL and ToM. My reasons for running are pretty simple - I support the 2A, and feel GOAL is our best means of lobbying in Boston for our rights. I recognize that things are not right, in terms of how the group allocates funds etc, but I am determined to get in there and make a difference. Separate GOAL from ToM, start an in-house electronic version and save GOAL a boat load of money. Support fundraising for the cause and fight for our rights. I know it will not be an easy task, but it is one I am ready to put my weight behind and get the job done.

I am an American by choice. I came to the USA from the UK in 1993 for a two year assignment, but like many things in life, that plan didn't pan out! I fell in love with the country, our freedoms and my future wife in that order, but don't tell her :)

Steve Moysey

Good man! [thumbsup]

Why bother trying to fix this obviously broken and dysfunctional organization. If a former BOD member resigned due to some very disturbing facts, and has stated that the current chair wont be replaced why are folks still supporting this organization. I trust Derek's recommendations of folks to be elected but it seems this organization is so far gone it should be replaced.IMO
My money and support is going to Comm2A. I know they have different objectives but come on folks. GOAL has been so dysfunctional for so long and kept things from its membership they should simply be disbanded .Start a campaign to have folks leave and stop paying dues. create a "new" GOAL. Again just MO.
I wish all who are running victory.

Start a campaign to have folks leave and stop paying dues. create a "new" GOAL.
And what damage could be done in the meantime on Beacon Hill?

I fired a gun for the first time only a year and a half ago. I am far from the voice of experience. There are many members here that have been involved both in shooting and in the protection of the right to bear arms for years longer than I... decades, even. However, the idea of dismantling the only major force in Massachusetts pro-gun legislation and slowly building up a replacement can't be the best approach. Even in the event of an exodus of GOAL's best and brightest staff into a new organization, it would take time to build up and gain momentum.

Doesn't it make more sense to try and revive GOAL before writing it off as an obsolete relic?

I got back into town last night and got my ballot. Did anyone notice that if you put only the yellow ballot back in the envelope that it was clear that you could see who you voted for by holding the envelope up to the light? [thinking] I put the two other blue/green pieces of paper in the envelope along with the ballot.

ETA: picture

ballot.jpg

Last edited:
I got my ballot yesterday and voted today, going in the mail this afternoon.
Hoping for the best.

This is good info.

But in light of the BoD's stonewalling behavior, how do we even know that the results of the voting will be fairly tabulated? Isn't that like asking the coyotes to give us a current head count in the chicken house?

But in light of the BoD's stonewalling behavior, how do we even know that the results of the voting will be fairly tabulated? Isn't that like asking the coyotes to give us a current head count in the chicken house?

We don't - unless the BOD takes specific steps to prove it to us. An explanation that they can be trusted is not proof. Remember the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote "The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons."

This is good info.

There are ways to make sure. The best bet is an independent election firm (too late for that). Since that is no longer a possibility, the remaining method would be a counting committee with representatives of all sides of the issues present to verify the count. If the ballots are opened prior to being delivered to such a committee, the integrity of the election has been compromised.

As a matter of proper business procedure, an organization should not run an election for directors on the basis of "trust us, we count fairly and accurately".

Unless specific steps are taken in this regard, GOAL risks losing the confidence of its members.

I fear that GOAL may already be opening ballots as they arrive and, therefore, the integrity of the election may already be compromised beyond redemption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom