• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR's with a fixed mag can be sold in MA.??

I could be wrong (and probably am), but could one also get one of those ugly ass stocks to get rid of the pistol grip? Or was that one of the "evil accessories" that no longer defines a "weapon of war"?

According to the ever changing "enforcement note", the test of "interchangeability" is now

Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the
same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will
be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon
if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or
interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may
include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier
group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine
port.

Note that having a roll pin and a spring which are the same size as on an AR15 could make your rifle into a banned assault weapon.

I think the facebook page is making a misinterpretation of Healey's disinterpretation. It's a circle of uselessness.

That's what I figured too. These still have interchangeable parts to a banned weapon. So these would also be banned correct??

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly semi autos with a fixed magazine are exempt from the AWB. That's why SKS are aloud to have their flash hider and even a folding stock.

The actual definition in the MGL (not one of the the AG's many flawed interpretations, but the actual law) specifically excludes, among other things, "any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition." With that in mind it would stand to reason that the AG's extra-legal feature test would not apply to such a rifle. Of course we're not living in reasonable times.

Cite: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Is that what they're doing? Can't tell from the pics....

There's a new CA-compliant design with a mag release that simply doesn't work from the outside. To load, you pull a little cord attached to the takedown pin, then hit an internal lever that releases the mag (or top-load it). Maybe it's this design?

- - - Updated - - -

So you pin a 30rnd pre ban mag in it....

If you can pin it, you can unpin it. The only way to win the AG game is to not play.

If they find a way to load them with stripper clips maybe. Of course at that point you just have a 5.56 SKS with a better barrel and trigger, etc. The only way I could see stripper clips working is like they show in the pics, the upper swinging out of the way to access the fixed mag. Not sure if a guide could be worked into it somehow. Still, half disassembling the rifle to reload with stripper clips is not good. I'd rather just have a SKS at that point.

Is the MA law not restrictive to round count in fixed mags? In CT the fixed mag still has to be 10 rounds or less to not be an AW unless it's a tube feed rimfire rifle.

From the AG's enforcement notice:

"If a weapon, as manufactured or originally assembled, is a Copy or Duplicate under one or both of the applicable tests, it remains a prohibited Assault weapon even if it is altered by the seller. Therefore, a Copy or Duplicate will be treated as an Assault weapon even if it is altered, for example, by pinning the folding or telescoping stock in a fixed position, by removing the pistol grip, by removing a bayonet mount or flash suppressor, or by preventing the weapon from accepting a detachable magazine."

"If a weapon, as manufactured or originally assembled, is a Copy or Duplicate under one or both of the applicable tests, it remains a prohibited Assault weapon even if it is altered by the seller. Therefore, a Copy or Duplicate will be treated as an Assault weapon even if it is altered, for example, by pinning the folding or telescoping stock in a fixed position, by removing the pistol grip, by removing a bayonet mount or flash suppressor, or by preventing the weapon from accepting a detachable magazine."

Well I quess that answers that.

Wow, so a single shot AR with no mag at all would be illegal in MA.

The AG's "enforcement notice" can't change what the actual law says. That goes way beyond her role as an interpreter. If the mag don't fit, you must acquit.

The AG's "enforcement notice" can't change what the actual law says. That goes way beyond her role as an interpreter. If the mag don't fit, you must acquit.

The great trick she has pulled is changing what the law says in the minds of most gun owners. I never would have believed there'd be such a enthusiastic rush to comply with a Globe opinion piece.

The only thing she has actually done is "virtue signaling" (look it up) her position on banning guns.

The great trick she has pulled is changing what the law says in the minds of most gun owners. I never would have believed there'd be such a enthusiastic rush to comply with a Globe opinion piece.

The only thing she has actually done is "virtue signaling" (look it up) her position on banning guns.

Yep. There are people who are eating her "guidance" up with a spoon, even when it's clearly contradictory to the actual law. "Yay, we can buy MP-22s now!"

Wow, so a single shot AR with no mag at all would be illegal in MA.

According to the law, no. According to the AG, yes. A bolt action 22 rimfire upper on a standard AR lower with the magwell welded shut would be banned since the lower meets her criteria for interchangeable parts. Cool, huh?

Back
Top Bottom