Apparently your Cell number is not private...

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.

You can also do this at www.donotcall.gov

I am on the list and occasionally get a call from duct cleaners, chimney sweeps, etc. - who will never ID themselves unless I pretend I want to buy. I have been very tempted to make an appointment and when they show up, take a photo of them and their license plate, hand them a demand letter for the civil penalty provided in federal law that includes a demand that all phone records.

I wish the Do Not Call registry could prevent calls from collections agency for the business who had my home number before me. The worst part, it is computers who call and not a human being for me to yell at.

I wish the Do Not Call registry could prevent calls from collections agency for the business who had my home number before me. The worst part, it is computers who call and not a human being for me to yell at.

it should. It usually takes 6 months and no more calls. I am on the do not call, and get no calls at all.

My cellphone is also on the do not call list.

What does "Equipment Location Code:" mean???

It's an industry standard code that identifies the location your switching equipment is located at. In theory, back in the day, you could follow your copper out of your house and the end would eventually terminate to equipment in a big building (central office-CO) and that was your switch location or "Equipment Location Code". It's like a designator for an airport, etc.

Nowadays in with the advent of soft switches, fiber plants, virtual switches, LNP, etc.. the situation is a bit more fuzzy, but the general idea still applies. Really of no interest or use to the general public.

Whenever I get into the national health care debate this is what I pull out. Our government can't even do a simple thing like correctly establish a do not call registry. I mean how hard is it? Here is my number DON'T CALL ME. No, we have to have exceptions. IIRC political polls and religious organizations are exempt. Any company you've done business with in the last six months has the right to call you unless YOU tell them you don't want them to. Even though you're on the do not call list they can call you. Once notified they have a month to comply. In this day and age why do they need a month? If you wanted to buy something it takes only seconds to process. I remember hearing a news story that Verizon had supposedly polled it's customer base and over 50 percent wanted a cell phone listing in a public database.. We all know that's BS. If that's what people want let them pay for it, not charge anyone who doesn't want to be listed a monthly fee. We all know that's where the most money is. No one I know wants a public listing of their cell phone number even if the cell phone is their only phone.

It might not be the previous owner of the number, my parents had their home number for about 5 years then they started getting collection calls. Turns out some people went to rent a center and gave my parents home number as theirs and then stopped payment. My parents do get a person to talk to but the calls keep coming.

If it's a few specific numbers that keep calling you, some providers will let you block specific calls.

-Mike

http://callowl.com/

I was listed in this data base... There is a way to remove it, which I WILL be doing...

Mine was listed - what's the way to remove it? I didn't see anything obvious other than the "Delete File" link.

This might explain why I have gotten all the calls from people trying to sell home security systems lately. There's a bunch of guys out there who have gotten an earful of " don't bleeping call me ANY MORE!"

I've always been curious about this...As a cell phone is a transmitting device, the FCC has control over it and it must also be licensed to someone...do we buy the license when we buy the phone or does our carrier own the license? My understanding is that all license holders information is in the public domain, therefore available to anyone that knows where to look. If someone types my Amateur Callsign into Google, it'll tell you exactly where I live, right down to the lat/long. Can you say "incoming?"
Anyone that owns a commercial transmitting license is also on the FCC's database and can be found very easily. Are cellphone license holders exempt from this?

Last edited:
Mine was listed - what's the way to remove it? I didn't see anything obvious other than the "Delete File" link.

This might explain why I have gotten all the calls from people trying to sell home security systems lately. There's a bunch of guys out there who have gotten an earful of " don't bleeping call me ANY MORE!"

Use that link then call the number and enter the password.

Now mine does not come up, said "invalid number"

I got a live human being looking for the copier firm who had my number before me, and allegedly will remove my number from their system. I also get service calls from their customers, those stop after 1 or 2 calls. Most of the dunning calls are from computers, and caller ID does not show a number. [rolleyes]

i can see how you would be concerned about this Chris i'd wager you have daily phone calls from the people who you have ripped off!!

http://callowl.com/

I was listed in this data base... There is a way to remove it, which I WILL be doing...

It never was private. These are all public records.

Its just a number, really. It's not like it's relating your name to the number. I am always typing strange calls into google to find out what NPA blocks they come from. (it'll show the wireless company or what region they come from. )

-Mike

Not even the correct city for me, even when I lived in WA
Estimated City:
Bellevue

Estimated Region:
Washington

Back
Top Bottom