Anyone have a cheap ammo can source?

I remember running group buys on .50 cans a couple years ago. Bulk surplus ammo can deals can still be found. BUT whoever runs it (not me!) will need a storage site and a loading dock and have to keep track of whom bought what.
Good way to get a couple hundred cans dirt cheap!

i think the "catch" is you need a loading dock or fork truck?

That should be easy enough to find. Any business you think might be " non anti gun" would probably receive them and unload them. You toss them into a pickup truck along with the pallet and slide them $20. It takes ten minutes.

I had both my 10K generators delivered to a pallet factory a couple of miles down the road. They unloaded them and actually stored one for a couple of days because of icy roads. I slid the guy $20 and he said anytime I needed something delivered there to just have it sent, no need to even call ahead.
I have forks for my tractor but the shipping company wouldn't deliver to my farm, so I just drove down the road and brought them back here.

Riley's in Hooksett had a bunch of .30cal cans in the basement with the safes in June ($10/can, like new w/ great seals). Probably a bunch still there...

I’ve bought them at Walmart for 8.88ea on sale.
Of course they’re the Chinese made ones.
I find the Chink cans to be as good if not better.
I say better for one reason. They don’t stink!
I find the USA cans to have a strong odor.
The Asian cans have no odor.

In case you'll missed this one...…..View attachment 313009 Imported, but strong and sturdy.

Grabbed 10 yesterday. Someone posted that coupon in another thread.

An FYI on peeling the label......let the can warm to room temp then lift one corner with a sharp blade then pull slowly
until a whole side is started then pull slowly all the way off. The key is not to pull too fast or it breaks the bond between the label and the adhesive leaving the adhesive on the can. It helps to pull at almost 90 degree angle from the can.

Grabbed 10 yesterday. Someone posted that coupon in another thread.

An FYI on peeling the label......let the can warm to room temp then lift one corner with a sharp blade then pull slowly
until a whole side is started then pull slowly all the way off. The key is not to pull too fast or it breaks the bond between the label and the adhesive leaving the adhesive on the can. It helps to pull at almost 90 degree angle from the can.

That works. I took a hot towel and left it on top of the sticker that was on an order of Winchester 45ACP. It does take a while to pull off, but when you do, hit it with a little bit of diluted Simple Green and there’s no glue residue left over.

I’ve bought them at Walmart for 8.88ea on sale.
Of course they’re the Chinese made ones.
I find the Chink cans to be as good if not better.
I say better for one reason. They don’t stink!
I find the USA cans to have a strong odor.
The Asian cans have no odor.

Hey! That's the smell of freedom you got there.

Labels came off easy, took an old blow dryer( left over from when I had enough hair to blow dry) and peeled off at a 45 degree angle, after the peel a little goof off for the residual glue and was done in just a few minutes. Already loaded them up, marked the tops with a marker, and stacked them with all the rest in a closet in my re-loading space in the basement.

I don't know if it will happen every year, but Midway gives you some special discounts on your birthday. Last year, it was .30 cal cans for $5 each and free shipping over $49. I needed something else as well but bought six cans. Real surplus, not knock offs. Good condition, good seals, minor cosmetic rust on one or two.

I don't know if it will happen every year, but Midway gives you some special discounts on your birthday. Last year, it was .30 cal cans for $5 each and free shipping over $49. I needed something else as well but bought six cans. Real surplus, not knock offs. Good condition, good seals, minor cosmetic rust on one or two.
they still do the birthday discount: nothing appealed to me this year

How can you tell? Are they stamped? Just ordered one from Target Sports and now I’m curious (Also I like the Sherilynn Fenn)
Yes, the back of the Chinese ones is not stamped.
Also, the Chinese do a much better job with the welding and metalwork on the back.
You can also tell by the smell, when that smell punches you in the face, it is American made.

Yes, the back of the Chinese ones is not stamped.
Also, the Chinese do a much better job with the welding and metalwork on the back.
You can also tell by the smell, when that smell punches you in the face, it is American made.
Its funny tbe chinese are doing a better job. Maybe actually military contract stuff out of china vs made for Civilian production state side.?

They do not have any more at the local store. That is why I'm looking elsewhere.

I don't care where it came from as long as it's metal and sturdy. I've seen some obvious knockoffs that were very cheaply made and felt very flimsy.
Walmart sells cans cheap, cobelas, and basspro sell them on sale cheap at times. Or try targetsports they sell cans with their logo on them and if you fill those cans with bulk ammo when you order you’ll get free shipping too?

Good price on these (again):

cdc6ae94-a890-4b4d-8cc8-79bd0c7db870-jpeg.426816

...and here's the link (make sure you choose the 30 cal. 4-Can single pack): Amazon product ASIN B01MU6ZAPGView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU6ZAPG?th=1&psc=1

Frank

So I’ve just been using a tool box to store ammo. Is there a reason I should go with actual ammo cans?

Actual metal ammo cans like Mil Surplus or similar are good for long-term storage because the lid has a rubber gasket that seals the can and protects the ammo better than a non-sealing tool box.
Some of the plastic boxes do the same.

Back
Top Bottom