Anyone else stocking up on ammo?

Is anyone else stocking up on a little ammo? Seems with these "tough economic times", threats of another war, ect. ect. that a little inventory doesnt hurt. Then again, I'll probably never have to use it, but it doesnt hurt to be prepared.

-James

dooger, where have you been for the last year? The whole world (except those on NES) is stocking up on ammo. If they can find it, they buy it. Some are even buying ammo first and then buying a gun it will fit in, because finding what they really want is difficult.

Do a search for ammo hoarding, and you'll see lots of interesting comments.

I used to carry a single bullet in my shirt pocket but now I have a spare.

Seems that every time I start to stock up, I can't help but go to the range and blast it all off!

I've got a bunch of random 7.62x54 in the ammo chest, but the Mosin isn't the first rifle I'd grab if the zombie apocolypse came to our doors. [rolleyes]

The 1000+ rounds of 5.56 I'm picking up soon will probably hold me for a while, but I can see myself shooting a lot of that at the range soon after I get it.

I guess it's a good idea to stock up, but it's too much of a temptation to hit the bench and practice, practice, practice.

The only thinkg I am thinking about stocking up on is 7.62x25, but I haven't received my Tokarev yet so I want to shoot it before I start stockpiling spam cans.

Seems that every time I start to stock up, I can't help but go to the range and blast it all off!

I've got a bunch of random 7.62x54 in the ammo chest, but the Mosin isn't the first rifle I'd grab if the zombie apocolypse came to our doors. [rolleyes]

The 1000+ rounds of 5.56 I'm picking up soon will probably hold me for a while, but I can see myself shooting a lot of that at the range soon after I get it.

I guess it's a good idea to stock up, but it's too much of a temptation to hit the bench and practice, practice, practice.

i have the same problem, can't seem to hold onto that ammo for more than a couple days, mostly because my club is less than a mile from home and its hard not to go, but I try to keep a couple rounds handy for each gun.

where are you shopping?? I was at a gun shop yesterday charging $20 a box of 50 9mm rounds [shocked]

I was being facetious..
But, the gun store you were in DID have 9mm. A vast improvement from a month or so ago.

And in my travels although the prices are still high, I am seeing more and more stock on shelves now than in the past few months.

I am, but only from within the ammo factory in my basement. [laugh]

The only boxes of ammo I've bought in 2009 has been a little bit of carry ammo for handguns and a few boxes of Hornady TAP rifle ammo.

-Mike

Just make sure you scatter your stashes amongst friends and families' (those who are legal to possess it, of course) houses so you don't run into storage requirements that apply to arsenals and for which you'd need a permit. Assuming you're in MA. http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

Just remember that it's combined totals, not per caliber. [grin]
I'm just under the limits in each category with a nice neat layout and inventory sheets (with the MGL printed out to boot) in case some storm trooper decides to kick my door in based on an anonymous tip. Call it over the top. I call it CYA.

Don't be this guy - http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/20...us-citizen-arrested-for-having-too-much-ammo/

Last edited:
I have gone crazy stocking up. I even got reloading equip. I maintain some pretty deep inventory levels. Since getting my class A in November, I've purchased:

2 ARs
2 870s
Glock 17 and 19
M&P 45
.22 rilfe
.22 Sig mosquito

I am pretty well stocked in all calibers, although it cost a fortune. I think ammo is a currency if the world fell apart. If it doesn't fall apart, it will be fun to shoot.

Like sex, pizza and beer, you can't have too much ammo.

Im glad Ive sparked such a discussion. I thought it was just myself being stupid! I agree with a lot of your posts: as soon as I get the ammo, it takes just a few days before I give up and shoot it at the range.

-James

I have enough for a few trips to the range but can't get there- home improvement projects and baseball have been tying up my range time- I know about priorities and have been trying to correct this situation but it is difficult[smile]

I heard a theory that the manufacturors are creating scarcity to keep the price high. Sounds reasonable to me, any theory based on corporate greed likely has a kernal of truth to it.

I heard a theory that the manufacturors are creating scarcity to keep the price high. Sounds reasonable to me, any theory based on corporate greed likely has a kernal of truth to it.

I don't really think it's the manufacturers.

If anyone is creating artificial scarcity it's the mid level distributors- which explains the huge disparity we're seeing now between wal mart and gun store ammp prices. It was always a buck or three different but now it's pretty absurd. More than one dealer has told me the distis are jerking them around, hardcore.

-Mike

Nope. I've been stocking up for the last 10 years or so when a box of 45's were $9.00 per box/50, when 9mm were $6.00 per box/50 and .223 was $3.99 per/20. Back then you could order online and I did. A case here and there, safely stocked away.

I won't say the amount I have but every now and then Winchester calls me and asks if I can ship some to them!! [laugh]

Every time I buy a box, I hop on the boat and splash... I lose another one... [laugh] Butter Fingers!

I tend to grab good deals when I see them, but then I've run through a good chunk of rounds at the range too, so it evens out...

i'm seeing more ammo - or i'm getting lucky at the local stores.

outside of Walmart, Dicks and Four Seasons (for me) it's starting to subside somewhat...

as for stocking up, i buy one shoot one... [laugh] once i get to the level i want to be at, i will only buy what i'm going to shoot, plus one box [wink]

Back
Top Bottom