Anybody edc knives with 2.5 blades or less

There's a number of well made knives out there that are less than 2.5". I think a lot of folks carry really big, quality blades with the assumption that bigger is better.

I'm a martial arts instructor and have been training for a little over 10 years. Some of my best teaches could tear me a part with a one inch blade - in fact many of them won't carry anything longer than an inch or two... The small size is difficult to see and therefore difficult to block or anticipate. I'm assuming that since your on NES, you carry concealed. In my experience, if my firearm is on my strong side, my knife (a backup to my firearm) is on my left side. When you train contact on contact, you might find that trying to get to a weapon, especially a big one, through the tussle of the fight and your clothes and anything you come into contact with while fighting (like the ground) can be tough.

I personally carry a small 2" assisted open knife on the left edge of my left rear pocket. I can draw it smoothly standing and from the ground. I can also draw it while performing firearm retention techniques.

IMHO, it's not about the size of the knife, but how much you actually train to use it. Get training and then decide for yourself. There's a lot of good Krav Maga schools out there. I personally train in Kajukenbo, but we have a strong influence of Filipino knife and stick fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this... thought it somewhat relevant info... I carry a SOG Flash 2. 3.5" blade. So according to this, I can't carry my knife concealed in Maine, but could I clip it to the outside of my jeans instead and make it open carry?

knife-laws-infographic.jpg

I'm confused because according to those maps, everything is legal to carry in MA - right? Even switchblades are in the grey.

I'm confused because according to those maps, everything is legal to carry in MA - right? Even switchblades are in the grey.

IANAL, but I didn't think MA had blade limits, but cities enforce their own ordinances...........?

I carry a 3 inch blade. If I get caught with it, they can take it. As much as it would suck to lose a $130 knife, it ain't the end of the world. I think my town has a $25 fine. I'd find it pretty funny if a cop had a problem with my knife given the gun he'd also find on my hip.
Absoulutely this. Plus the gun though its a vintage Al Mar mini SERE

Saw this... thought it somewhat relevant info... I carry a SOG Flash 2. 3.5" blade. So according to this, I can't carry my knife concealed in Maine, but could I clip it to the outside of my jeans instead and make it open carry?

knife-laws-infographic.jpg
Id question the validity of this though. In MA a ballistic knife (if you were lucky enough to actually have a quality one) is absolutely illegal. Switchblade or what passes for the definition of switchbalde or spring assist as well. Double edged too.

I ignore this requirement habitually.

I have in fact been on job sites in Boston and Cambridge and cut open shrink wrap on pallets of gaylords right in front of cops and they never have looked twice.

These laws were written by City Councilors jealous of anthing > 2.5 inches. They are useless.

Also, check your local laws/ordinances. I know of at least one town that exempts LTC holders from the length restriction.

Never thought of it like that. So the .38 spl or 92F I am allowed to carry is less "hurty" than a 4.5 inch folding knife.

More emperical evidence liberals ARE libtards.

Alot of the towns around me have the stupid 2.5 knife ordinance.

I'm curious for those in the same boat as me what blades do you carry?

You can reply here or pm me any opinions or info.

Derek

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Usually at least two knives. A ZT - mostly a 560 or a 301 clipped in a back pocket, and a smaller folder in my watch pocket. Sometimes I use a polished stainless Kershaw Chive as a money clip, and I keep a fixed blade ZT in my back pack.

Knife ordnance?

There's a number of well made knives out there that are less than 2.5". I think a lot of folks carry really big, quality blades with the assumption that bigger is better.

I'm a martial arts instructor and have been training for a little over 10 years. Some of my best teaches could tear me a part with a one inch blade - in fact many of them won't carry anything longer than an inch or two... The small size is difficult to see and therefore difficult to block or anticipate. I'm assuming that since your on NES, you carry concealed. In my experience, if my firearm is on my strong side, my knife (a backup to my firearm) is on my left side. When you train contact on contact, you might find that trying to get to a weapon, especially a big one, through the tussle of the fight and your clothes and anything you come into contact with while fighting (like the ground) can be tough.

I personally carry a small 2" assisted open knife on the left edge of my left rear pocket. I can draw it smoothly standing and from the ground. I can also draw it while performing firearm retention techniques.

IMHO, it's not about the size of the knife, but how much you actually train to use it. Get training and then decide for yourself. There's a lot of good Krav Maga schools out there. I personally train in Kajukenbo, but we have a strong influence of Filipino knife and stick fighting.

The problem is, some guy working for a living can/has/will be cited for carrying a 4" pocket knife for work purposes.

Only in MA

I rotate a Spyderco Tenacious, Ontario Rat 1 and Kershaw One Ton...I work in MA but live in NH...scew you moonbats, i'm not buying 2 sets of knives

Right now my edc is a large sebenza. Originally I was going to get the small sebenza, but I tend to prefer a larger knife. When I'm in places with ridiculous laws, just don't show the clip. As for 2.5" or shorter knives, I would look at a spyderco dragonfly or something along those lines. My closet knife to 2.5" is a strider PT, which I think is technically a 3" blade, but about 0.5" of that is a choil. So that could be a good choice.

Looks like at the state level that's true. But your town/city/county might have other laws on the books making them a no-go item...

It is absolutely illegal to carry switchblades and ballistic knives in Massachusetts. It's illegal on the state level and they really will jam you up if you get caught doing it. I believe that it's actually a felony. I wouldn't rely upon cartoons for my knife advise. I would research and read the actual laws.

It is absolutely illegal to carry switchblades and ballistic knives in Massachusetts. It's illegal on the state level and they really will jam you up if you get caught doing it. I believe that it's actually a felony. I wouldn't rely upon cartoons for my knife advise. I would research and read the actual laws.

I did a moderate google search on it before posting. I always thought that 'automatic' knives were illegal in MA (isn't everything?). I couldn't find anything that actually said those types were illegal. Maybe the laws have changed and people are just remembering the old laws. I don't know for certain. To be honest, I don't care all that much either.
Now that I'm in NH, where there are ZERO knife restrictions, I can own/carry whatever the F I want. [cheers]

I did a moderate google search on it before posting. I always thought that 'automatic' knives were illegal in MA (isn't everything?). I couldn't find anything that actually said those types were illegal. Maybe the laws have changed and people are just remembering the old laws. I don't know for certain. To be honest, I don't care all that much either.
Now that I'm in NH, where there are ZERO knife restrictions, I can own/carry whatever the F I want. [cheers]

I kind of hate you for being able to buy and carry quality autos in NH. :)

They're illegal to carry on a state level in MA. You can possess them at home, just not carry them.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

It's down in there a ways. I think subsection B of the third or fourth paragraph. Deliberately written as vaguely and strangely as possible to increase the chances of jamming some poor guy up.

If you get shaken down for a knife in one of these towns you probably have far bigger problems to deal with than a knife ordinance that's not even a misdemeanor.

-Mike

If you work in Boston government buildings you don't need a frisk. I have had plenty of JBT ass rippings for my SUPAH ILLEGAL 3" KATANA IN MAH PANTS.

Its actually less than 2.5" but they still yell at me about it when I hand them my change tub at the metal detector.

My EDC is currently a microtech mini udt. I used to carry a ZT0550 but that was just to big for work attire. The mini udt fits nicely in my pocket and is there when I need it.

My understanding is that they can arrest you and drag you into court, where you can be fined for the offense. I'd rather not find out, so I try to avoid towns with these ordinances. If I can't, I carry a smaller knife, such as a spyderco Chicago. (Named for its length being under Chicago's draconian limit) the laws are BS, but its not worth getting popped for. Work to change the laws or move.

Interestingly enough, there is no limit on legal blade length for carry state wide. You could carry a sword if you'd like. I guarantee that you'd get a lot of unwanted attention, but you'd legally be fine as long as it only had a single edge. Someone asked about the legality of the wave feature, which allows you to open a knife as you pull it from your pocket. These would fall under the mass state law, which prohibits carry of a "device or case which allows a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position". My understanding is that this law was originally aimed at cases that were sort of popular for Buck knives in the early 80's. they carried a Buck knife slightly open and opened the knife the rest of the way as you pulled it out of the sheath. Kind of dumb, IMHO, but apparently it scared the politicians enough to outlaw them.

Kind of dumb ain't even the half of it!

Don't carry them then.

I do believe the law is written so that you can posses them (for collectors purposes of course) but not carry them in public.

Anyone know what the actual charge is for breaking said Boston city ordinance? Anything more than a slap on the wrist and/or monetary fine?

I usually carry a Kabar TDI into Boston, along side my pistol (Go figure)... But if its nothing more than a slap on the wrist I'd happily take the risk and carry my usual EDC: Kershaw Blur.

last I had checked, anybody can own and automatic knife, but you had to the disabled, or police, Fire, EMS to actually carry one. Unless it had a blade shorter than 1.5" in length. I'm also pretty sure true ballistic knives are banned federally.

last I had checked, anybody can own and automatic knife, but you had to the disabled, or police, Fire, EMS to actually carry one. Unless it had a blade shorter than 1.5" in length. I'm also pretty sure true ballistic knives are banned federally.

Which is a crock of absolute shit. As a tradesman, I can't tell you how many times I have one hand available and having OTF auto knife would be the balls. My MP assisted knife works pretty well though, which, in my opinion, might as well be an auto knife for cryin out loud.

Anyone know what the actual charge is for breaking said Boston city ordinance? Anything more than a slap on the wrist and/or monetary fine?

I usually carry a Kabar TDI into Boston, along side my pistol (Go figure)... But if its nothing more than a slap on the wrist I'd happily take the risk and carry my usual EDC: Kershaw Blur.

Personally, I have been hassled 6 times (been courteous and "compliant" (a bitch) all 6 times) and lost 3 knives to the BPD for being above or "close enough" to being over 2.5" or whatever the hell dimension they don't like. The 3 times times I didn't lose them was in the north end taking my then girlfriend out to dinner. Each of those cops spotted the knife clip on my jeans, walked over to me and did they "HEY GUY. WATS DAT IN YAH PAWKET?" and after I bullshitted though the answers "cell phone," "keys," "my dick?" they always asked "let me see that blade" and usually I just pull it out and they take them and then give me tons of shit for them having mechanical actions (but they always have a 2 step mechanical assist, so they're legal and I always explain that to them and they do the knowing nodding frown) and they then give me tons of shit for them being too long, even though once was a 2.75" blade ground down to 2.5."

All the North End cops always reason with me. I don't know why. But I like going there to spend my money on food and drink as a result because that makes me feel less like there's a JBT up my ass. I like those dudes.

The 3 times I've lost knives:

1. After I got pulled into a fist fight outside of a bar after one of my women friends took a shot to the face. BPD sorted it all out and I lost a blade after I was frisked when they were sorting out the cat shit from the sand. Didn't give a shit and only lost it in the scuffle of process. No charges filed as I was "the good guy."

2. When I left a strip club and a cop giving shit to a lookslikeagangster dude and spotted my knife clip and was just being a dick because homey g was doing a good job of keeping the cop in check. He asks what's that in my pocket, and I say "a knife what else do you think it is" and gun is drawn and I'm against the wall and he takes it. "DIS IS TOO FAWKIN BIG, IT'S MYNE NOW." No charges, just chalked it up to JBTs in Murica. Cost of living in the city and not giving a ****.

3. Was getting dunkin donuts and JBT in training asks me if I was carrying in line for his donuts. I said "no" and he reaches down and pulls it out of my pocket "DEN WAT IS DIS WYE-IZE G-UY?" Measures it to his ring finger, it's as long (the blade was again a 2.5"), and he flips the **** out. I say "take it dude" and he says "YOU'RE LUCKY TODAY YA G-UY. NEXT TIME YAH WON'T BE." Chalk it up to the dude being younger than me, being fatter, and him successfully letting me know how he measures his dick size and that it's roughly 3" long.

So you shit talkers saying "SCREW THE LAW I DO WHAT I WANT" don't know what you're talking about until you have to deal with this shit. Because my money is on the fact that you guys don't go into Boston with blades. Or that you do maybe twice a ****ing year.

So I see the concern and I understand it fully. Even IF YOU COMPLY, you may lose a blade or two. What are the charges? I don't know, because none of the JBTs have had the sack enough to charge me with jack shit.

But by all means: continue the cock strutting in this thread. Typical NES big boy talk. It is entertainment for me. I enjoy.

Last edited:
Personally, I have been hassled 6 times (been courteous and "compliant" (a bitch) all 6 times) and lost 3 knives to the BPD for being above or "close enough" to being over 2.5" or whatever the hell dimension they don't like. The 3 times times I didn't lose them was in the north end taking my then girlfriend out to dinner. Each of those cops spotted the knife clip on my jeans, walked over to me and did they "HEY GUY. WATS DAT IN YAH PAWKET?" and after I bullshitted though the answers "cell phone," "keys," "my dick?" they always asked "let me see that blade" and usually I just pull it out and they take them and then give me tons of shit for them having mechanical actions (but they always have a 2 step mechanical assist, so they're legal and I always explain that to them and they do the knowing nodding frown) and they then give me tons of shit for them being too long, even though once was a 2.75" blade ground down to 2.5." All the North End cops always reason with me. I don't know why. But I like going there to spend my money on food and drink as a result because that makes me feel less like there's a JBT up my ass. I like those dudes. The 3 times I've lost knives: 1. After I got pulled into a fist fight outside of a bar after one of my women friends took a shot to the face. BPD sorted it all out and I lost a blade after I was frisked when they were sorting out the cat shit from the sand. Didn't give a shit and only lost it in the scuffle of process. No charges filed as I was "the good guy." 2. When I left a strip club and a cop giving shit to a lookslikeagangster dude and spotted my knife clip and was just being a dick because homey g was doing a good job of keeping the cop in check. He asks what's that in my pocket, and I say "a knife what else do you think it is" and gun is drawn and I'm against the wall and he takes it. "DIS IS TOO FAWKIN BIG, IT'S MYNE NOW." No charges, just chalked it up to JBTs in Murica. Cost of living in the city and not giving a ****. 3. Was getting dunkin donuts and JBT in training asks me if I was carrying in line for his donuts. I said "no" and he reaches down and pulls it out of my pocket "DEN WAT IS DIS WYE-IZE G-UY?" Measures it to his ring finger, it's as long (the blade was again a 2.5"), and he flips the **** out. I say "take it dude" and he says "YOU'RE LUCKY TODAY YA G-UY. NEXT TIME YAH WON'T BE." Chalk it up to the dude being younger than me, being fatter, and him successfully letting me know how he measures his dick size and that it's roughly 3" long. So you shit talkers saying "SCREW THE LAW I DO WHAT I WANT" don't know what you're talking about until you have to deal with this shit. Because my money is on the fact that you guys don't go into Boston with blades. Or that you do maybe twice a ****ing year. So I see the concern and I understand it fully. Even IF YOU COMPLY, you may lose a blade or two. What are the charges? I don't know, because none of the JBTs have had the sack enough to charge me with jack shit. But by all means: continue the cock strutting in this thread. Typical NES big boy talk. It is entertainment for me. I enjoy.
I work in Boston almost every single day and carry a knife every single day. Nice try. Everywhere from hospitals to government facilities, college campuses and business high rise. Almost every day for the last three years. Maybe it's cause I'm a working guy, but cops never even so much as look twice in my direction. So yes, I do in fact carry what ever the **** I want.

I work in Boston almost every single day and carry a knife every single day. Nice try. Everywhere from hospitals to government facilities, college campuses and business high rise. Almost every day for the last three years. Maybe it's cause I'm a working guy, but cops never even so much as look twice in my direction. So yes, I do in fact carry what ever the **** I want.

Tough guy talk is still entertaining. If you don't see the concern with actually attempting to follow the law you're still just a ****ing idiot. If this statement isn't true, then tell me how come everyone on this website isn't piling on pictures of their SBR Krinkovs and m4 carbine clones and jacking each other off about how cool it is to "do whatever the **** you want?"

But this isn't the first time you've fluffed me with pure bullshit. So as you would say: nice try.

Back
Top Bottom