• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anybody edc knives with 2.5 blades or less

Alot of the towns around me have the stupid 2.5 knife ordinance.

I'm curious for those in the same boat as me what blades do you carry?

You can reply here or pm me any opinions or info.

Derek

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Spyderco Delica has 2.875" blade; Leatherman Wave 2.9"; the Spyderco Dragonfly is 2.3". Have you contacted the local PD about this? If you had a Leatherman on your hip for work (as many folks do), it seems a stretch you'd get dinged for that, but yes, the law could theoretically make your life miserable.

If you wanted to be to the letter of the law, Spyderco Dragonfly seems one way to go.

I'm also on the north shore and know what you're talking about. For the most part I don't think they really enforce that law too much. My personal thought it was put in place to try and give them something to bag some of the gang bangers on. If you're a regular person i don't think any town would make waves for just a knife unless you did something else wrong.

Anyways, when I chose to carry I knife though I chose one that was within the 2.5" blade length limit. I carried this for a while.
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-415...r=8-6&keywords=gerber+assisted+opening+knives

I don't carry it anymore. It was a nice knife but I wanted to cut down on some of the other crap in my pockets. For the amount I used it, it was not high on my list of must haves. I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro and a can of OC as part of my EDC instead. I suppose if you wear cargo pants or carpenter style jeans you're ok. Those are the types of jeans I had when I carried the knife. I've since switched back.

Last edited:
Don't openly display the knife (or the pocket clip on said knife) and carry what you want. Concealed means concealed!

Carry anything you want and keep it concealed. Why would a cop be frisking you anyway? If your knife is "illegal" just make sure that you can afford to lose it. Don't carry a $500 Benchmade infidel.

I don't feel that I need to be micro managed down to that level by people with less life experience and common sense than me.

Alot of the towns around me have the stupid 2.5 knife ordinance.

I'm curious for those in the same boat as me what blades do you carry?

You can reply here or pm me any opinions or info.

Derek

4" Cold Steel "Voyager", with clip-point non-serrated blade is my choice. I removed the pocket clip and carry it completely concealed in my right front pocket. Never had a problem with LEOs. Carried a (now long out of production) Gerber FS II lockblade folder with a 3 3/4" blade through all four years of college (1978-1982), again without LEO hassles. Good concealment practices make all of the difference.

What are these ordinances you speak of? Where would I find them?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

I have this S&W knife, got it at autozone for 11 and change, the website says blade length 2.6 in but I measured the actually blade potion at 2.5, there's a small part at base that is not part of the blade

Last edited:
My pocket knives range from about 2.5" to about 4" blade length (cutting edge). I pick what I want to carry and it goes into the pocket. Or I just leave what's already in there. Yes, I even leave them in my pocket when I drive into MA.

You could go all Chuck Norris style and EDC a machete in your pocket. [rofl2]

Ogami Ito walks his own path....

ito.jpg

Unless you're in a location where you're liable to get frisked, or some place like Salem where (anecdotally) people get hassled for a clip showing on their pocket, carry what you need.

That said, when we went to the State House Rally last January, I carried my handgun (which I have a license for) and left my evil, dangerous non-licensed folder at my car.....

[laugh]

I think a scout knife exceeds a lot of length limits. I personally never violate any ordinance or rule , no matter how stupid it is, ever.

I like a rather large blade , and I prefer fixed blades , whenever possible. But as a carpenter , I carry a Stanley Utility knife all week long , and 95% of the time I need to cut something , a razor with a big handle is the best choice.

I suppose while I'm at it... What's your opinion on blades with the emerson wave feature.

I've heard both sides of the story in its legality

When did the world become a repository of panty wastes? In high school Tri County 80-83, we all carried buck knives on our belts, no one ever used it as a instrument of doom, it was just something we used. Now we have to worry if some nit wit arbitrarily decides on a blade length? I'm around 280 someone stabs me with a 2" blade all they are doing is ripping open some blubber and making me extremely angry in the process.
Carry whatever you want, stay off the MANS radar and you will be fine.
Rant over, my .02

When did the world become a repository of panty wastes? In high school Tri County 80-83, we all carried buck knives on our belts, no one ever used it as a instrument of doom, it was just something we used. Now we have to worry if some nit wit arbitrarily decides on a blade length? I'm around 280 someone stabs me with a 2" blade all they are doing is ripping open some blubber and making me extremely angry in the process.
Carry whatever you want, stay off the MANS radar and you will be fine.
Rant over, my .02

Seriously. Nullification people. NULLIFICATION. Live your life with that word at your forefront. Stop following their stupid, petty little laws. Live life as a free man, and you will see it's not so bad. **** their stupid laws.

Back
Top Bottom