• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any opinion on the CMP 1911 program?

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
So the .gov under our new president is going to be offering thousands of 1911's for us plebes. I've had the pleasure of trying a 1911 in the past and I really liked it. In fact I thought it would be fun to have one. But it seems like the hoops to jump through in order to get one is just not worth the effort especially with it becoming a de facto lottery at the end. Specifically I mean all of this:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/12/0...ent=2017-12-12&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

How do I know if my club is CMP affiliated or what event(s) counts towards the CMP event qualification?

It just seems like a lot of rules and a lot of nonsense to get one of these pistols. Has anyone gone through this before or think it's worth pursuing? I also wonder if there would be any issues getting this transferred in MA?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info anyone may have.

So the .gov under our new president is going to be offering thousands of 1911's for us plebes. I've had the pleasure of trying a 1911 in the past and I really liked it. In fact I thought it would be fun to have one. But it seems like the hoops to jump through in order to get one is just not worth the effort especially with it becoming a de facto lottery at the end. Specifically I mean all of this:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/12/0...ent=2017-12-12&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

How do I know if my club is CMP affiliated or what event(s) counts towards the CMP event qualification?

It just seems like a lot of rules and a lot of nonsense to get one of these pistols. Has anyone gone through this before or think it's worth pursuing? I also wonder if there would be any issues getting this transferred in MA?

To make it worth it you would really need to want a 1911 from the CMP rather than just "A 1911" for the price you can get a new one that has all sorts of modern changes for equal or less and you just miss out on the "piece of history" element. If the price was at a level that was much lower I would be interested but I do think they will have some buyers lined up at whatever they do charge so I just say "good for them" and don't think about getting one.

The guns from the CMP are for collectors and enthusiasts that want a legitimate issued WWII 1911

If you want a 1911 to shoot, buy a new production one with modern amenities (extended beavertail, dovetailed sights, checkering, etc...) for less than a CMP gun will cost you.

Couple recent threads on it; long story short, it appears unlikely that these will be available to you if you live in Massachusetts.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/cmp-1911s-email-with-requirements.344298/
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/update-cmp-m1911s.344299/
https://www.northeastshooters.com/x...us-8-000-1911s-next-year.343804/#post-5714543

No one has gone through this process for 1911s because they have never offered them before. It's different than their M1 / long gun process.

In the end, if you are buying one of these it's because you want a piece of history/Gov't' Property stamped 1911. They will be more expensive than a new production 1911 and probably have significant wear.

People always say there are hoops to jump thru, what hoops ? Be a U.S. citizen, I would think you have that covered. Proof of age pretty easy there also. Marksmanship status, your Ma. LTC covers that. Now you need to belong to a CMP affiliated club, some gun clubs belong some don't. If yours doesn't join the Garand Collectors Association online for $25 a year. That all seems pretty easy to me, especially if I can get a Garand for hundreds less that any LGS delivered right to my front door. But as far as the 1911's they may not even be available to Ma residents cause a WWII 1911 isn't on the AG's approved list. You can't buy a WWII 1911 in NH and have it transferred into Ma I don't believe.

Must ship to mass ffl for mass residents . xyz manufactures of the government 1911/1911a1 are not on the mass roster.
Good luck

I'm sure some of them are "Springfield Armory" 1911A1s right? ;)
Except:
- You don't get to choose the mfr, CMP randomly assigns guns to "winners" of the lottery.
- CMP has already made it clear that they aren't going to play games, so the rules will be for all, with no exceptions. Carving out "OK to ship brand x to MA, but no other" just isn't going to happen.
- They have already made it clear that they won't ship to an FFL in a state different from the buyer.

They will likely be a shot to shit, loose fittting, sloppy, rattle trap that will cost more than a decent brand new gun with better features and accuracy. And I would love to own one.
I wish that when you bought it you could find out where it had been issued. It would be so cool to find out what it's story was. Where it was shipped after it left the factory, and follow it's 50 year journey.

They will likely be a shot to shit, loose fittting, sloppy, rattle trap that will cost more than a decent brand new gun with better features and accuracy. And I would love to own one.
I wish that when you bought it you could find out where it had been issued. It would be so cool to find out what it's story was. Where it was shipped after it left the factory, and follow it's 50 year journey.
When the possibility first raised its head, Orest stated in the CMP forum that they were pretty well beat up from all the years of deployment, building and rebuilding, etc.

When the possibility first raised its head, Orest stated in the CMP forum that they were pretty well beat up from all the years of deployment, building and rebuilding, etc.
My great uncle told me in the 1990s after handling a new colt 1911 " well dam that's a bit better than the loose rattling 45 I got in 1942 but still better than the left over WWI I trained on."
Then he said " this new one will never run lubed with blood and sand"
When he passed my cousin found some of his army papers he scored expert with I think a 48/50 hits. ?
I think they will be worn and well used but even the rack grades might still be able to shoot to spec

Too many hoops to jump through. Price unknown, and the fact that they can not be transferred to FFL 03 (C&R) is a bit hard to swallow. They are over 50 years old and this totally defeats the C&R license. If you really want one and don't want to go through the bs, look as I did, and find a good deal and if you have a C&R have it shipped to your front door.

TWO bloody NICS checks?
from what i gather from the most active CMP person I know. Works down there as a volunteer, has uncrated rifles and such explained it sunday at the range. The 2 checks are simply because the cmp charter regulations require cmp to do the back ground check for firearm sales period.
Now that they got special permission to liquidate the 1911s they are following CMP policies,rules and regulations set forth by the charter so they have to run their own check. This will also will reduce any returns if someone happens to end up being a PP.
They then mail the handgun to your state FFL where by law they run the 4473 as required. This is also why no CR sales as they are not a full blown FFL dealer
its all good and the hopes of getting a US property 1911 for $500 was smashed years ago when this all was just mumbles. Orest made the claim several years ago that most buyers are not going to like the cost.
dont fret as time goes buy and around year 4-5 of sales the prices will go up and people will be saying "wish i bought one when they where $$$"

A Clarification on 1911 Pistol Sale Policies From the Civilian Marksmanship Progam - AllOutdoor.com

If you just want a 1911 and it doesn't have to be some 900 year old milsurpy thing, just buy something off the shelf and save yourself a lot of grief. A lot of these guns are likely to be run down mixmasters anyways.

-Mike

Yes, in the late 80's we still had 1911's in the Arms Room and they were junk.

I thought it's eligible for C&R if its manufactured more than 50 years ago. Can an FFL in MA sell you a C&R eligible pistol, or do you need a C&R license yourself?

I have had both modern and original M1911A1s.

The original came through my father from my grandfather(a veteran of Mexican Campaign, WWI, and WW2) bought from the DCM in the last century. My father had a Marine Corps armorer accurize it and throat the barrel for semi-wadcutters and earned a closet full of trophies at Camp Perry and various military matches.

It lost its finish a long time ago but it could never have been described as loose or rattley.

I have several modern versions some of which I have built. They are in every way except historically superior.

What the CMP is doing further pushes them to irrelevancy to me. They have consistently championed junker rebuilds at ridiculous prices. One can easily locate far better examples of everything they offer for less.

If you are younger than I and most here likely are, the CMP must look good. Take the time to search other specifically Milsurp forums and watch online offerings and you can do much better.

I thought it's eligible for C&R if its manufactured more than 50 years ago. Can an FFL in MA sell you a C&R eligible pistol, or do you need a C&R license yourself?

Mass dealers won't be able to transfer C&R eligible arms until 2021 if you believe there won't be some changes to present law before then.

The CMP has made the statement they won't ship C&R on the 1911's.

Mass dealers won't be able to transfer C&R eligible arms until 2021 if you believe there won't be some changes to present law before then.

The CMP has made the statement they won't ship C&R on the 1911's.
True and CMP made that one of their policies (likely with pressure from politicians) for ALL states, not just MA.

The CMP offers many services to the shooting public. I have attended many of their local rifle matches and have greatly enjoyed them. Good people and good instructors.
You may be able to find other historical firearms for less $$ but when you buy from the CMP you have much more of a service trail for the weapon. And were it not for the CMP most surplus US weapons likely would be destroyed rather than sold out to the willing public for their collections.
And though the CMP is a government program, it is fully self sufficient and requires no tax money to operate.
So the CMP may not be perfect, I for one am glad we have them.

Last edited:
There is no ambiguity as to whether or not CMP would ship the 1911's to Mass - they won't

1911 Information - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Look for item 10:

10. 1911s from CMP will be allowed in California because they meet the California definition of Curio and Relic. They will ship to 01, or 02, or 07 FFLs in California. At of the time of this release, only the state of Massachusetts will not allow the sale of the 1911/1911A1 pistol.

Back
Top Bottom