• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any opinion on the CMP 1911 program?

Not worth it in my opinion. Especially with the hoops to jump through for CMP and to get it into MA....
The only real hoop is straw purchase. Thats what its going to be called if you try to get a cmp 1911 through the cmp being a mass resident. 1. You need someone to hit the cmp lottery have it sent to thier FFL pick it up and then transfer it to you through C&R- this is risky as feds could see this as a straw or dealer type of transaction.
Yes maybe in some time a few will be in the wild but there are already plenty of service grade WWII 1911s out there there that can be had easily even in massachusetts with out even flirting with breaking the law....i know mass even doing things by the law is "illegal in mass" cause everything is...sarcasm on

Last edited:
I thought it's eligible for C&R if its manufactured more than 50 years ago. Can an FFL in MA sell you a C&R eligible pistol, or do you need a C&R license yourself?
As far as I know C&R only helps on the federal level.

As far as I know C&R only helps on the federal level.

Specifically a C&R holder must comply with both the Federal and State regulations. For instance, having a C&R pistol off EOPS list shipped in is perfectly legal but it must be EFA10ed within 7days.

Unless you want one for the historical significance, you can get a newer and more accurate one for less money. I like the 1911 and own several but I wouldn't bother. It won't be impossible to get one in Ma but it will be difficult.

I've had a couple of guys at the club ask me my opinion on the cmp 1911. They know I'm retired army. I tell them for the money your getting a mediocre or beat up 1911 compared to what you can buy new. I've also heard the banter of the historical significance of owning a handgun used in combat. Oh....boy.....where to start! Fact....The VAST majority of regular army side arms are carried by staff ncos and officers and mps. Always have been. Some of course we're carried by tankers and crew served gunners. They were also carried by wrecker operators, mechanics, and doctors. Most have been tossed around the inside of vehicles dropped on floors and abused never to have a remote possibity of seeing actual combat. Is there a slight chance a cmp 1911 was used to kill a Nazi, a VC, or a North Korean regular? Sure. is it worth all that money to own a Mixmaster government surplus 1911 and then have a handgun that has no proof of service in combat and all probability that it WAS NOT? Not to me it's not.

The vast majority of Garands and M1 carbines never saw combat, either.
True.

Difference between the m1 and the 1911 as far as cmp is there are a varient shit ton of better new 1911s being made the same or LESS than I would pay for a Mixmaster 1911 from cmp. The m1 has a couple new manufacturers......but they cost double or more what I paid for my service grade m1 from cmp.

Figure $1100 for a service grade from the CMP is not terrible for a WWII US property marked 1911. Your not going to find a heck of a lot in that price range period. I have been looking for a 1942 dated 1911 for a while and it just has to be a good shooter to go along with my 1942 Garand.

What a lot of people do not really seem to notice is what a WWII vintage 1911/1911a1 feels when handling it and shooting it. Its not like most of todays versions all snug and tight. So many would frown looking down at those sights also. "i need night sights" whaaaa.
My great uncle once said he loved the M1 and 1911 he carried. " those things where but a few pieces of equipment I used that would run lubed with blood and sand"

The vast majority of Garands and M1 carbines never saw combat, either.

I'll agree with that with the caveat that certain years of M1 production probably went to war. At least for given years of production, there's a much higher chance that a random M1 saw combat vs. a random 1911.

Did some range time yesterday works fine and it's tight.
pBKFErYm.jpg

10 yards draw from the holster, forgot my timer, don't pay any attention to my attempt at the smiley face below it.

Has anyone actually received one yet? I think the lottery closed in Sept.

Gentlemen who own vacation/weekend homes in other states. Don't forget the ATF considers you to be a legitimate legal resident of that state when you are there. For many of us, this is the answer, if you want one of these.

And obviously, there's no problem bringing it in once its acquired. Just remember to eFA10 it.

Entry packets were accepted between September 4 -October 4, post mark dates. As far as the CMP program overall with their limited staff they are doing an excellent job. RNG's are getting emailed and pistols are being shipped.

47A3C42F-439E-45D5-A744-B9A267D13C73.jpeg CBA79C60-563D-4DFE-8077-021E7F7F7405.jpeg Bleep Mass and bleep the CMP. Picked this up C&R.

Replaced sights but never refinished. Pre-WWI serial. Apprears to have military replacement bbl. right 2-tone mag. I wonder when it went home with someone. It’s in too good condition to have seen WWII.

Gentlemen who own vacation/weekend homes in other states. Don't forget the ATF considers you to be a legitimate legal resident of that state when you are there.
The real question is "Will an FFL local to your vacation home consider you an in-state resident?".

Last edited:
mine was made in 1917, was accuarized by Alton Dinan in 1970 still shoots better than I ever will. had it in a ramson rest at 50 yrds 1 3]8 inch group

As stated already.

There are better options readily available in MA if you’re a 1911 shooter.

There are better options readily available in MA if you’re a 1911 collector.

If you’ve got any experience with the way Army arms rooms work, you’ll know these are overpriced mixmasters that probably function okay but have zero “historical significance” to them you can’t find in countless better examples on Gunbroker. Go buy those for just a couple hundred more; you’re getting a FAR better piece.

Picton, the problem is that while many of us are willing to spend some money for a nice one, we don't know enough about them to keep from getting screwed on Gunbroker. I've bought many many guns on GB and done well. But I knew what I was buying.

I knew a dealer in CT, North Cove Outfitters. They unfortunately went out of business about 8 years ago. Their owner Norm knew old 1911s inside and out, and he was a very honest guy. I was hoping at some point to have him help me find one, but never got to it before North Cove ceased to exist.

So. Absent Norm, at least a CMP gun will be what they say it is and won't be proven to be something it isn't.

So . . do you know anything about old mil surp 1911s? Ha.

Picton, the problem is that while many of us are willing to spend some money for a nice one, we don't know enough about them to keep from getting screwed on Gunbroker. I've bought many many guns on GB and done well. But I knew what I was buying.

I knew a dealer in CT, North Cove Outfitters. They unfortunately went out of business about 8 years ago. Their owner Norm knew old 1911s inside and out, and he was a very honest guy. I was hoping at some point to have him help me find one, but never got to it before North Cove ceased to exist.

So. Absent Norm, at least a CMP gun will be what they say it is and won't be proven to be something it isn't.

So . . do you know anything about old mil surp 1911s? Ha.

But what’s stopping a collector, any collector, from becoming just as knowledgeable as your Norm? Surely, that’s the fun of collecting milsurp firearms: learning about these pieces is as gratifying as shooting them.

Caveat emptor, on GB. It’s not difficult to learn enough about milsurp 1911s to avoid getting taken.

But what’s stopping a collector, any collector, from becoming just as knowledgeable as your Norm? Surely, that’s the fun of collecting milsurp firearms: learning about these pieces is as gratifying as shooting them.

Caveat emptor, on GB. It’s not difficult to learn enough about milsurp 1911s to avoid getting taken.

Do you have any suggestions on places to start?? Books? Websites?

Thanks,

Don

Google "Clawson 1911".

That’s the one.

The price is prohibitive, but my Webley books can cost even more. I guarantee Norm at North Cove Outfitters had a copy.

Though, the internet has a lot of good info too. Seriously, the research is more than half the fun in collecting.

As stated already.

There are better options readily available in MA if you’re a 1911 shooter.

There are better options readily available in MA if you’re a 1911 collector.

If you’ve got any experience with the way Army arms rooms work, you’ll know these are overpriced mixmasters that probably function okay but have zero “historical significance” to them you can’t find in countless better examples on Gunbroker. Go buy those for just a couple hundred more; you’re getting a FAR better piece.
Absolutely agree. My army buddies have all chuckled when the cmp 1911 program comes up.

The 1911s were treated no differently than the m9s were when it came to the arms rooms. They were all beat up and abused.

The 1911 was and IS a great pistol. I just find it halarios when I hear and read guys that say shit like "the 1911 is the gun that won WW2". Yeah.....says a guy that probably has absolutely zero experience in combat......was the fat kid in high school that "almost" joined the Marines......and is currently a mall security guard cuz he always wanted to be a cop.....but took two night classes in criminal justice at communuty college and failed out cuz homework interfered with call of duty screen time.

Pistols don't win wars posers!!!!!

1911....awesome pistol.

Cmp 1911......beat up and abused handgun that was probably carried by countless staff officers, nurses, mps and senior ncos over the last 70 years. Is that probable "hiistory" worth the price? Not for me it's not .

Last edited:
Will CMP recognize the BATF definition of "Resident" for shipments?

In other words could I order one shipped to our NH house?

Might be an entirely moot question - they're long gone, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom