• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any opinion on the CMP 1911 program?

Will CMP recognize the BATF definition of "Resident" for shipments?

In other words could I order one shipped to our NH house?

Might be an entirely moot question - they're long gone, aren't they?
They've already come out and said no handguns shipped to a resident.

they must go through an 01FFL with a 4473 filled out in order to transfer to an individual.

Will CMP recognize the BATF definition of "Resident" for shipments?

In other words could I order one shipped to our NH house?

Might be an entirely moot question - they're long gone, aren't they?
The first 10k are sold another batch is coming.
CMP made it very clear all pistol sales must transfer through a dealer of the state you reside in

Absolutely agree. My army buddies have all chuckled when the cmp 1911 program comes up.

The 1911s were treated no differently than the m9s were when it came to the arms rooms. They were all beat up and abused.

The 1911 was and IS a great pistol. I just find it halarios when I hear and read guys that say shit like "the 1911 is the gun that won WW2". Yeah.....says a guy that probably has absolutely zero experience in combat......was the fat kid in high school that "almost" joined the Marines......and is currently a mall security guard cuz he always wanted to be a cop.....but took two night classes in criminal justice at communuty college and failed out cuz homework interfered with call of duty screen time.

Pistols don't win wars posers!!!!!

1911....awesome pistol.

Cmp 1911......beat up and abused handgun that was probably carried by countless staff officers, nurses, mps and senior ncos over the last 70 years. Is that probable "hiistory" worth the price? Not for me it's not .
The 2 I was able to fondle a few weeks ago where no worse in condition or price than most of the beater/mix parts refinished ones I have seen in the wild.

I remember seeing ads for these many years ago. Used $35, new $40. Jack.

iu

iu

Another question. Acquaintance has a Field Grade mixmaster he paid $1,000 for. He’s offered it for $1,200 delivered.

Worth it in MA?

Another question. Acquaintance has a Field Grade mixmaster he paid $1,000 for. He’s offered it for $1,200 delivered.

Worth it in MA?

That's not bad if you get all the paperwork and have a C&R, otherwise you won't be able to transfer it as a handgun thru an FFL. Not on the 'list'

Worth it in MA?
Is it from cmp? Field grades where $950.
Now what is available in mass for a USGI 1911 for $1200?

What was the price?
They where both service grades $1050 ea plus FFL transfer fee what ever that was. Both are out of NH brought down by a friend who has a non resident ltc. Sadly I did not know he was going to be around and did not get to go to the range.
He just stopped by my work and said check these out. Also had a nice dual under arm chest rig under his sport coat.

They where both service grades $1050 ea plus FFL transfer fee what ever that was. Both are out of NH brought down by a friend who has a non resident ltc. Sadly I did not know he was going to be around and did not get to go to the range.
He just stopped by my work and said check these out. Also had a nice dual under arm chest rig under his sport coat.

How the hell did he get 2 of them???

How the hell did he get 2 of them???
one is his the other is a friends who has fallen ill and hes the caretaker foe his guns. I have first rights of refusal if the guy decides to sell off his stuff. These guys where my intro to old guns 20 years ago. Both retired to NH about 8 yr ago.
They where the only 2 out of a group of 20 or so up there that got them. You wont find a USGI 1911 in mass as in nice condition as these for $1000ish , well I have not seen any. Think better end of service grade garands with nice gi wood. No commercial parts from what he says, I would not know any better. 1 remington and one colt or ithica? I forget. Both looked reparked and put away.
FWIW if your not looking for a USGI 1911 theres definately other choices for 1911s for $1050

Looked like this with out the match sights and NM up grades.
So if you missed out on the cmp 1911s you can try and out bid the buyers on cmp auction

Last edited:
The CMP pistols I have seen are a disappointment. Service grade are mixed parts, different manufacturer slide and frame, not even same vintage frame and slide. They are very heavily sandblasted leaving only a trace of their markings, and are all parked including the barrel. o_O They come in a Pelican like box and official CMP papers.

Field grade are the same but not refinished and to me look much more authentic. Most have clear markings and little original finish left but no pitting nor cracked grips. Rack grade is another story.

Overall - little to get excited about. You might luck out with a US&S slide or something but collectability in the future I expect will not be strong.

Last edited:
IIRC they had a drawing where you could win one. I was at 619DW a few months ago and there was a guy there picking up one that he had won. Looked pretty decent.

The CMP pistols I have seen are a disappointment. Service grade are mixed parts, different manufacturer slide and frame, not even same vintage frame and slide. They are very heavily sandblasted leaving only a trace of their markings, and are all parked including the barrel. o_O They come in a Pelican like box and official CMP papers.

Field grade are the same but not refinished and to me look much more authentic. Most have clear markings and little original finish left but no pitting nor cracked grips. Rack grade is another story.

Overall - little to get excited about. You might luck out with a US&S slide or something but collectability in the future I expect will not be strong.
Which is what you find for $1000 on most LGS shelves. You have to fall into a private deal to get anything USGI thats decent or remotely correct.
I think most people are used to tighter , prettier commercial 1911s vs a used and rebuilt USGI

I suspect the OP asking if the CMP will follow the federal def of a resident refers to a residence he has outside MA.

My response to him is that if you fill out the paperwork properly they will never know.

For example. If you have a weekend home in NH, go to a NH FFL and confirm they will do a transfer for you as a resident per the ATF interpretation.

Then submit paperwork with your NH address listed as your residence address. When it comes into the FFL, do the transfer per ATF guidance with your NH weekend home address and a tax bill to prove residence.

Don

I suspect the OP asking if the CMP will follow the federal def of a resident refers to a residence he has outside MA.

My response to him is that if you fill out the paperwork properly they will never know.

For example. If you have a weekend home in NH, go to a NH FFL and confirm they will do a transfer for you as a resident per the ATF interpretation.

Then submit paperwork with your NH address listed as your residence address. When it comes into the FFL, do the transfer per ATF guidance with your NH weekend home address and a tax bill to prove residence.

Don
will cmp see "residency" when they do thier back ground check?

lets say OP gets in on the next batch. List NH address and nH FFL but When CMP does their 4473 will there be conflicting info?
I have no idea what info gets looked at with a 4473
Lets say the back ground check shows massachusetts LTC will cmp look at this as lying ?

The question that lingers in my mind is what if say someone in NH or Maine or Timbucktwo, buys one, and six or seven months later decides he needs cash and sells it. Can a Mass resident buy this and have it shipped in? It's a maybe an 80 something year old firearm can't I buy it on my 03 C&R from the original purchaser ? Edited for fat fingered typing. Thanks

Last edited:
The question that lingers in my mind is what if say someone in NH or Maine or Timbucktwo, buys one, and six or seven months later decides he needs cash and sells it. Can a Mass resident buy this and have it shipped in? It's a maybe an 80 something year old firearm can't I buy it on my 007 C&R from the original purchaser ?
I'd be surprised if that hasn't happened already. With a slight surcharge, of course.

CMP rules say you can't resell it within some timeframe. So everyone who has one for sale is not abiding by the rules . . .

Back
Top Bottom