Anvil Arms

I love my NES lower, but a good product only goes so far.

He bit off way more than he could chew with our order, who knows how many more he had. Personally, part of being a good business is having good service. It is simply not possible, as we and many others have seen, to provide good services beyond a certain workload. Eventually you simply do not have enough time to do what is needed.

Now after seeing this...

For those that prefer to have their lower receiver immediately we have a small reserve supply available at the normal retail price of $175 and can ship immediately.

I read this as saying...

You ordered a lower from me, but I'm damn slow and haven't sent it to you yet. Now that we have Obama Mania, I want to capitalize on it. I can't do that while fulfilling your order, so you get back seat, regardless of my 'first come, first serve' policy.

Rethink it. There are still people here that have been waiting for uppers that were promised months ago. I'm sure they'll be checking in shortly.
I'm here now.

I'm still waiting for my upper from the group buy. I knew it would never get completed, so I requested John send me my paid for stripped upper (which he physically has) over two months ago. Still waiting........
I send Jon my request for an upper in June of '08. He sent me a quote and I replied with my credit card info in July of '08. Then he basically dropped off the radar and wouldn't answer my emails. Finally in September he told me he was backordered on 14.5" M4 barrels...who cares...I ordered a 16" M4 barrel. Well finally just the other day I get a call from some lady at Anvil Arms saying that my upper has been completed minus the bolt/carrier. So I tell her to ship it out and she says that they are going to the SHOT show next week to pickup some bolt/carriers and that I am guaranteed one to be shipped out after they get back from the SHOT show.

All I can say is ... we shall see. I am TOTALLY disappointed with Anvil Arms and their way of doing business. They state that they fill orders on a first in, first out basis but unless they just got caught up to orders from July '08 ... they are full of shit.

Oh yeah... see my sig.

I'm still waiting for my upper from the group buy. I knew it would never get completed, so I requested John send me my paid for stripped upper (which he physically has) over two months ago. Still waiting........

Just got mine in last wed.
2 uppers with forward assist and dust covers. I would say pretty well stripped.
It took me about 3-4 weeks to get mine after bugging constantly. The occasional e-mail thing got old so I called and called and called, then left my cc# with promise of a call back, NOTHING! Back to calling to find out what in the hell they did with my cc info because they haven't called me back. Oh you need to talk to her, she is out now but I will have her call you, nothing again. After having my cc info for over 2 weeks I get an e-mail from UPS saying they are on the way. Still haven't called me back, just shoved the receipt in the box and sent it to me. Glad to know it was only $8.00 to ship, but only found out after it arrived.

Well ... my confidence has dropped off again.

As I said before, I spoke with Neva at Anvil Arms on 1/12/09 and she said it would be shipped out on that day or the next. Today being 1/15/09 and I have yet to get any tracking info from them, I have just called them. Surprise, surprise...no answer. And funny enough...the voicemail message basically said "We are too busy to help you." They don't want you to call to place and order or check on an order or ask questions....please email them and they will get back to you...but it will be atleast 7-10 days because they are sooooo busy. I might have a for sale thread when my AR gets here. I don't know if I want to support this type of business. Seems like they bit off more than they could chew.

[/rant]

Well, my upper and lower were OK.

Now, they aren't anything THAT spectacular, and seeing that he only does custom numbers in much larger quantities, and takes FOREVER to get them done and shipped, I'll likely NEVER buy from him again.

And, other than the engraving, I just don't see enough difference from say, Bushmaster to warrant buying from Anvil Arms. And, I'm a stickler for quality stuff.

Bottom line? The stuff was good, but the wait was excessive. Too excessive, IMNSHO.

Jon at Anvil makes good stuff. It's his scheduling and feedback that sucks.

If you can order and forget it, he'll do a great job. If you are chomping at the bit for your stuff, you'll be soured over the experience.

Don't think of Anvil as a manufacturer. Think of him as an artist. You commission a work of art and when the artist has the inspiration to create the masterpiece, you get the goods.

You should check the threads in the members forum. Many people not only hated their service, they hated their product as well.
And yet, some of us loved the product.
Well he accidentally made an upper for my NES group buy lower... I was going to buy it... I'm glad I didn't (especially hearing everyones stories where the engraving was off center).
He made one for my number, too, and it was dead-nuts on center. Now, that said, he DID manage to lose the check I sent him for it (or the US Post Orifice lost it, as he said he never saw it), but he did send the upper promptly after I gave him a CC number. Honored the no-shipping-charges thing, too, and the original price from the buy.

I'm going to pick up another one - I like the engraving, and I'm not in a rush, so I'm not worried about the order.

If you can order and forget it, he'll do a great job. If you are chomping at the bit for your stuff, you'll be soured over the experience.

Don't think of Anvil as a manufacturer. Think of him as an artist. You commission a work of art and when the artist has the inspiration to create the masterpiece, you get the goods.

Don't quit your day job, my good man. [smile][smile][smile][smile]

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/canthsrider/smilies/Bullshit.jpg

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you getting paid for that ad or something? [laugh]

You want to buy a few of my "sculptures"?

I made one tonight that looks just like Illinois.

smells_like_bullshit.jpg

Fred

What?

I never said it was great art. (^_^)

I'm happy with the lower I got. I wish the communication was better, but I like the part.

I stick with my comparison to an artist. He seems to perform when the spirit moves him. And he thinks that everything he makes is a personal masterpiece.

As for Flotter's photo, he stole that from Ross. He could have stolen my photo of the same work of art:

http://home.comcast.net/~mlp2s/BS.jpg

What?

I never said it was great art. (^_^)

I'm happy with the lower I got. I wish the communication was better, but I like the part.

I stick with my comparison to an artist. He seems to perform when the spirit moves him. And he thinks that everything he makes is a personal masterpiece.

As for Flotter's photo, he stole that from Ross. He could have stolen my photo of the same work of art:

http://home.comcast.net/~mlp2s/BS.jpg

Now that is a work of art!!

Fred

Here are my two uppers:

-044 - Yes, the anvil really is tinted brown... I have no idea why (Note, the engraving isn't blurry, bad pic on my part):

P1010040.jpg

-045 - Yes, it really is THAT far off center. It may seem trivial, but when you only have an inch to work with, being off a tiny bit makes a big difference. Any more so and it wouldn't be on the upper.

P1010039.jpg

That said, the lowers came out great and the uppers are well built (I bought completed uppers - all parts installed, no barrel, hand guard, etc) I just wish a little more time was taken with the engraving. Live and learn, I guess. Hopefully the 1911 group buy goes smoother [wink]

I emailed Jon and finally got him to respond to my inquiry on the alignment of the logo on
the upper:

"Because of the shape of the anvil no matter where we place it people complain it looks off
center. Combine that with the fact that to actually center the image from where it is on
your upper receiver would be a move to the left of approximately 0.020 inches. The
acceptable tolerance on that image is +/- 0.050 and your well within that. (A standard
heavy weight business card is about 0.025).

The image is permanent, will not rub off, wash off and can not be relocated. Blasting the
image off will damage the hard anodize coating and is not recommended. Applying a cover
coating of our Moly-Coat product will make it all black but you will still see the image
beneath the coating. Dura-cote is a thicker coating material and will almost completely
cover the image but despite it’s name, it is not very durable and will wear off, we do not
use it.

Replacement of the part is not really feasible, especially at this time since we are out of
stock on available replacement parts until about March or April. "

I told him to forget it since someone told me if I put a rail on it it will be covered up. I
regret having him do this at all. I never verified if his statements were accurate with
respect to alignment because I guess my problems weren't that much compared to what
others were experiencing. All I want to say is that if that is the best he can do aligning
that logo, he needs to seriously reconsider the business he is in because that alignment
is f*****g atrocious. I was a manager for a engineering department and if someone who
worked for me ever did that poor a job on something so visual to the customer he would
have had a lot of 'splaining' to do.

Jon at Anvil Arms said:
Because of the shape of the anvil no matter where we place it people complain it looks off center.

This was my immediate thought when people started showing the pictures of that anvil. I think no matter where you put it, it would look awful. But if he just turned it 90 degrees, the whole matter would probably clear right up. However, that doesn't address the fact that in the above photo the serial number engraving is horribly off-center as well.

Back
Top Bottom