• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anvil Arms

Anyone else waiting for Anvil Arms to ship their lower?

I have been waiting for 2 months. Have been told that it should ship in Jan, but don't have it yet. I had a memo emailed to me by Anvil where Jon said that they were filling orders based strictly upon when the order was placed and that the sooner you place the order the sooner you will "get in line".

I just checked their website, which I have been doing on a regular basis and it now says that if you want to order a stripped lower today and pay $175 (a premium over the regular price) they will ship immediately from stock!!!

Sounds like a big slap in the face to all the customers that have been patiently waiting (along with a side order of price gouging.)

I just sent them an email asking for an explanation.

I have been waiting for 2 months. Have been told that it should ship in Jan, but don't have it yet. I had a memo emailed to me by Anvil where Jon said that they were filling orders based strictly upon when the order was placed and that the sooner you place the order the sooner you will "get in line".

I just checked their website, which I have been doing on a regular basis and it now says that if you want to order a stripped lower today and pay $175 (a premium over the regular price) they will ship immediately from stock!!!

Sounds like a big slap in the face to all the customers that have been patiently waiting (along with a side order of price gouging.)

where does it say that? I looked quickly and didnt see anything

He's full of crap.

Ah, I was thinking of buying an upper from them, perhaps I will rethink this position if they are an untrustworthy organization.

Rethink it. There are still people here that have been waiting for uppers that were promised months ago. I'm sure they'll be checking in shortly.

I have been waiting for 2 months. Have been told that it should ship in Jan, but don't have it yet.

Today is Jan 14th.

This entire thread would make more sense if it was posted in Feb,and more worthy of a rant.As much as I have been reading about Anvil and their business practices,you do have to give them the month of Jan to deliver.

Then complain.

With that said,odds are you still won't see your lower in Jan.[smile]

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my upper from the group buy. I knew it would never get completed, so I requested John send me my paid for stripped upper (which he physically has) over two months ago. Still waiting........

I'm still waiting for my upper from the group buy. I knew it would never get completed, so I requested John send me my paid for stripped upper (which he physically has) over two months ago. Still waiting........

That's just awesome. [thinking]

Today is Jan 14th.

This entire thread would make more sense if it was posted in Feb,and more worthy of a rant.As much as I have been reading about Anvil and their business practices,you do have to give them the month of Jan to deliver.

Then complain.

With that said,odds are you still won't see your lower in Jan.[smile]

You are missing my point. I was told flat out that they were filling orders based upon when the order was placed. This new policy just showed up on the website within the last couple of days.

I know it is still Jan. Jan was a guesstimate on their part- they told me maybe a little earlier or a little later.

Bottom line is that they changed their policy and have these in stock but instead of filling the orders that they have had on their books for months as they said they were going to, they are selling them to the higher bidder from this mysterious "reserve. This is not a good way to operate a business.

Here is the blurb on their website:

"For those that prefer to have their lower receiver immediately we have a small reserve supply available at the normal retail price of $175 and can ship immediately."

Give me a break- "small reserve" ... "normal price"

Small reserve= as many as I have in stock

normal price= new gouged price. They have never had this high a price.

My confirming order is for 3 stripped lowers at $100ea and and 3 lpk's at $50ea.

Conundrum? Dichotomy? Double-edged sword? Anvil Arms is a head-scratcher for me. I not only took part in the NES Group Buy on Anvil Arms lower receivers, I also had my upper built by Jon and found him to be very knowledgeable, patient with my queries and responsive to them as well, (initially). The wait on the lower was both horrendous and understandable. We ordered ours with custom serial numbers and many custom built, (lower parts kits installed, stocks, etc.). Then, Jon offered us custom uppers to match and many bit, (including me). I think Jon severely underestimated what was involved with the BATFE variance. I also think he underestimated the time involved with custom building many of the 200-receivers and serial numbered uppers we ordered. Frustration grew out of both the wait time, (which I expected) and the communication from Jon, (or lack thereof).

Still, in late June, I sent Jon a check - along with my Troy Medieval Muzzle Brake and ordered an upper. The check cleared in July - my upper arrived in December. I wish it were that easy, but it arrived following a barrage of E-mails, (I found out even my wife E-mailed him after I literally threw my lower in the bottom of my safe out of sheer giving up) and a tremendous loss of patience. I did get a notification that my upper had shipped in October, but it was a mistake. I spent 2-weeks waiting for BBT and it never arrived. I was literally about to unleash the hounds - a multi forum, e-mail filled frustration festival - I had enough....

Finally, I received a call from Jon in November that he was building my upper. He asked what I had ordered, ([thinking]) and I went over it again: 14.5" 1:7, standard FSB, Troy brake installed, no BCG, no rear sight. It was then he asked me if I wanted a YHM flip-up front sight instead of a standard F marked FSB. I have never been a fan of folding front sights on fighting rifles, but I felt that either Jon was trying to be nice, or was out of FSB's - either way, I acquiesced and my upper shipped the week of Thanksgiving. Sadly, I didn't receive it until the first week of December, but when I saw that the package had arrived, I blew out of work, went home and was elated to see it leaning up against my back door. I could not get this rifle together fast enough!

The double-edge sword came into play once I got this rifle together. It is truly a work of art - built superbly. Everything just fits and the finish is perfect. The quality of this rifle eclipses anything off the shelf - you can tell that Jon knows what he's doing and is passionate about doing things right with the building of his rifles - though I will say by seeing some other Anvil builds, that not everyone he has employed shares his dedication. I have to say, that I remain not a fan of flip-up front sights - especially YHM, (they wobble). Had I wanted this set-up, I would have went with a Troy, which is what I have on the back-end anyway. Still, the rifle is sweet. I dropped in my BCM BCG, bolted on my Troy BUIS, took it to LSA and sighted it in with the Trijicon Tripower on deck. The first trigger pull was bliss - the rifle runs like a top. It feels finely tuned - everything just works - the trigger pull is sweet, the upper is sweet - fit and finish are superb all the way around, (no trigger slap, no rattles, no loose fitting upper/lower - nada). I took it to Athol that weekend and those who shot it will likely agree - it's a stellar rifle. I'm not sure what the range of the steel plates is there, but I was hitting them 30-for-30 the gun is a laser beam.

What I'm left with is not only a great rifle, but a great tribute to my membership here at Northeast Shooters - despite my less than positive experience with Anvil Arms. I also like seeing the little guy compete against the juggernaut that is the firearms industry. I think Jon Kruger could indeed compete with the likes of Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, etc and could indeed see his products ranked in the class of Noveske, LMT, Sabre etc. I do not however think it will happen without a major overhaul of his business model. He has a lot of talent, but needs to bolster that talent with a realistic business plan which places customer service and consistency in the same margin as his excellent build....I hope it happens, but am not sure it will.

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

Last edited:
Then, Jon offered us custom uppers to match and many bit, (including me). I think Jon severely underestimated what was involved with the BATFE variance.

Just curious - what variance was needed? I know the receiver had NES engraving but, if they bore name, state and city of the original manufacturer, what was the variance for?

There is something to be said for supply and demand. Anyone in custom manufacturing knows that sh!t happens and at any given time, all hell can break loose. Things get backed up, delayed, canceled, lost, broken, etc. However, customer service should always, always, ALWAYS be #1. I realize that AA is a business out to make money and I have no idea how large or small his operation is, but perhaps he should hire a secretary. If you do not treat your customers with respect, patience, and above all integrity, you will not get many repeat customers no matter how good your product may be. Family owned and operated medium sized custom manufacturing business here so I'd like to think I know a thing or two. That's my take but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Here is the blurb on their website:

"For those that prefer to have their lower receiver immediately we have a small reserve supply available at the normal retail price of $175 and can ship immediately."

Yep, thats what makes this sketchy. Who doesn't want their receiver immediately??? Its one thing if they are all caught up and they set up a system like this... but they have months of promised orders and pull that stunt? Glad I didn't get in for an upper...

Well he accidentally made an upper for my NES group buy lower... I was going to buy it... I'm glad I didn't (especially hearing everyones stories where the engraving was off center).

I only had stripped lowers, but was very happy with the product, and was very impressed that he sent me a replacement part for a part that 1) I screwed up installing and 2) wasn't even purchased from Anvil in the first place.

The wait sucked, but I would definitely buy from him again as long as it wasn't time critical.

This has been bugging me... everyone else's laser engraving from the buy seems cleaner and 'sharper' than mine. Do you guys do anything special to clean this are of the rifle to provide that sharper white color? Maybe I just need to scrub a little bit.

Lower

I only had stripped lowers, but was very happy with the product, and was very impressed that he sent me a replacement part for a part that 1) I screwed up installing and 2) wasn't even purchased from Anvil in the first place.

The wait sucked, but I would definitely buy from him again as long as it wasn't time critical.
My NES lower is very nice. Very nice quality. I really like the trigger. The wait wasn`t a problem for me, I was in no rush.

My matching uppers and stripped lowers were exquisite. Excellent quality and no issues with off-center or fuzzy engraving. Well worth the price I paid for them then. The wait was longer than I had anticipated, but was not a problem.

My matching uppers and stripped lowers were exquisite. Excellent quality and no issues with off-center or fuzzy engraving. Well worth the price I paid for them then. The wait was longer than I had anticipated, but was not a problem.

+1

It really is a sweet rifle. I have not seen examples of bad ones, though TBP's engraving is off center on his upper. In my view, service and communication were a D- (especially toward the end of the buy), the finished product is an A-
Considering the highway robbery people are paying for stripped lowers now, I'm pretty happy....I just wish Jon had the service to match his product.

Here are my two uppers:

-044 - Yes, the anvil really is tinted brown... I have no idea why (Note, the engraving isn't blurry, bad pic on my part):

P1010040.jpg

-045 - Yes, it really is THAT far off center. It may seem trivial, but when you only have an inch to work with, being off a tiny bit makes a big difference. Any more so and it wouldn't be on the upper.

P1010039.jpg

That said, the lowers came out great and the uppers are well built (I bought completed uppers - all parts installed, no barrel, hand guard, etc) I just wish a little more time was taken with the engraving. Live and learn, I guess. Hopefully the 1911 group buy goes smoother [wink]

My experience with Anvil Arms through the group buy was good and I was very pleased with the lower but as some others have said the wait time was terrible.
I believe Jon truly miscalculated and took on much more than he should have at the time.
Not only the NES order but he was taking on others which buried him in work that he could not keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom