• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another well informed news reporter:

LTCRN

NES Member
State law bans carrying a gun when under the influenceBy Vicki-Ann Downing
Enterprise Staff Writer
Posted Nov 05, 2010 @ 06:00 AM

BROCKTON — In both Massachusetts and Rhode Island, it’s against the law to carry a gun when you’re under the influence of alcohol. And the rules apply whether you are an ordinary citizen or a police officer, and even if you are licensed to carry the weapon, authorities said Thursday.

But in addition to state law, Brockton police officer Jordan James Silvia, 29, of Fall River, may have violated his department’s own rules and regulations when he was arrested Sunday on felony assault and weapons charges outside a restaurant in Newport, R.I. He was suspended for five days and faced a hearing today on further disciplinary action.

Brockton Police Chief William Conlon said Silvia, an Iraq War veteran, previously served with the Fall River Police Department, where he was laid off along with 52 other officers in March 2009 due to city budget cuts. He joined the Brockton Police Department in May.

The gun he had in Newport, a .380 automatic Kel-Tac, belongs to him, Condon said. Silvia’s service weapon is at the Brockton police station, the chief said.

Silvia is not the city’s first public safety official to be accused of a weapons violation while off-duty. Jaime Barbosa, a Brockton firefighter, was accused of waving a gun around during a fight in the area of Joe Angelo’s Cafe and Deli on Main Street in August.

Police revoked Barbosa’s license to carry a gun and confiscated 26 weapons from his apartment following the incident.

Barbosa was also suspended for five days. It was not clear Thursday whether he has been charged with a crime. Fire Chief Richard Francis said Barbosa is still working for the department.

Vicki-Ann Downing may be reached at [email protected].

READ MORE about this issue.

Copyright 2010 The Enterprise. Some rights reserved

so whats the point of this post?

an off duty police officer was carrying a weapon while drunk?

If they revoke or suspend your LTC why can't you be granted time to dispose of the guns in a lawful fashion instead of seizing them? I know there is a rule for a loss of FFL license that grants time for the dealer to liquidate his inventory. 26 guns is quite an investment and it is amazing they can just seize it and hold it hostage. Makes me think twice about keeping all my "eggs" in one basket.

well on the one hand, Im distressed that everything was siezed like that....on the other hand, Im glad that despite his badge, the law was applied evenly in this case.

I respect his service as both an officer and as a veteran, but come on, act right!

You guys are mixing up the two stories. Barbosa was the one with the 26 guns and was a firefighter involved in a totally separate incident than the cop. Silvia is the Iraq war vet.

Barbosa's story is a crappy situation too. He saw a friend of his being beat up by 5-6 guys and pulled out his gun and fired a warning shot to get them to stop. They stopped and none of them were arrested just Barbosa. I guess he should have killed a couple of them instead.

You guys are mixing up the two stories. Barbosa was the one with the 26 guns and was a firefighter involved in a totally separate incident than the cop. Silvia is the Iraq war vet.

Barbosa's story is a crappy situation too. He saw a friend of his being beat up by 5-6 guys and pulled out his gun and fired a warning shot to get them to stop. They stopped and none of them were arrested just Barbosa. I guess he should have killed a couple of them instead.

firing a warning shot is stupid, unless its blank.

where the hell did he aim the gun? the air? the lost bullet could kill someone.

Update: Cop was suspended

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/c...ter-allegedly-waving-a-gun-during-an-argument

There's also this little gem from the story:

The employees asked the two men to leave, at which point, Fitzgerald said, Silvia reached for his gun in his right front pocket, pointed it at the ground, racked a round into the chamber, causing the round that had been in the chamber to eject, and then waved the weapon at the two employees, and told them that he wasn’t going anywhere.

Real tough guy. [rolleyes]

I don't understand the sarcasm. It looks like she got it all right. I'm actually impressed that she didn't call the 26 guns an "arsenal" or a "weapons cache".
She just reported the facts.

Don

Wow, 5 whole days and he'll get his gun back. I'm sure glad they were so harsh on him [thinking][rolleyes]

If that were a citizen they would never be allowed to have a gun again, would be in jail and sheep would be up on the podium right now declaring the need for more gun laws. Nice equal application of the law there in RI.[angry]

Wow, 5 whole days and he'll get his gun back. I'm sure glad they were so harsh on him [thinking][rolleyes]

If that were a citizen they would never be allowed to have a gun again, would be in jail and sheep would be up on the podium right now declaring the need for more gun laws. Nice equal application of the law there in RI.[angry]

Did you read the news story? He's sitting on a felony case.

Where do I buy one of these Kel-Tac's? Are the automatic ones on the approved list?

It's Kel Tec. He had the P3at, it's a semi-auto pocket pistol. They're not Mass approved but you can get one from another Mass resident if he or she has one for sale. They do sell them in RI, if you're a resident.

Last edited:

I don't understand the sarcasm. It looks like she got it all right. I'm actually impressed that she didn't call the 26 guns an "arsenal" or a "weapons cache".
She just reported the facts.

Don

I believe the fact she states he had an automatic .380 and spelled it Kel Tac.

In CT, you can drink and carry, you just can't be impaired.

In Florida you can be completely intoxicated and carry concealed, and defend yourself while intoxicated too. Still illegal to carry into a bar down here though. [thinking]

I believe the fact she states he had an automatic .380 and spelled it Kel Tac.

Referring to it as an automatic is not incorrect. What do you think .45 ACP stands for?? (Automatic Colt Pistol)

It used to be common to refer to any semi-automatic handgun as an "auto" or "automatic". The history is that these guns were "automatic loading" or "auto loading"

Its not incorrect as much as it is dated.

Back
Top Bottom