• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another range suicide

I’m not tech savvy enough to post a link but Maine Military Supply had a woman who did herself in on Tuesday. I had seen the post on an immediate full store closing but didn’t know why until this morning when a friend text me.
Glad I wasn’t there.
I witnessed one last year. Pretty shitty thing to do.

Are range suicides becoming more common, or are they just reported more?

Subjectively it seems like more and more public ranges have “bring a friend” or “have your own guns” requirements; but I recognize my data is pretty sparse and incomplete.

That sucks to put that on someone. Had a relative that was a truck driver, guy ran head on into his rig on the highway, found a suicide note on the guy. Messed him up a bit. I could only imagine patrons and staff at the facility.

here's an article that jumps right to preaching.....
"The community has shown safety concerns for years over the rising cases of gun violence. The general public should not have easy access to dangerous weapons. Access to firearms should only be granted with certification and license. Before allocating a firearm license, adequate background checks and mental stability tests should be conducted

Furthermore, the stores providing the firearms should be educated about the signs of depression and self-harm so they can remain vigilant and report anyone with the symptoms to the authorities immediately instead of handing them a weapon with which they can potentially harm others or themselves."

How many others missed/ignored suicidal signs before she did herself in at a gun range? I wouldn't be surprised if she had a history of mental illness and (obviously) failed treatment.

here's an article that jumps right to preaching.....
Of course that website is in the UK where guns are banned, so the BS in that article should be expected.

Those sites should focus on crap on their side of the pond, they know nothing about the culture or laws on our side of the pond.

"The community has shown safety concerns for years over the rising cases of gun violence. The general public should not have easy access to dangerous weapons. Access to firearms should only be granted with certification and license. Before allocating a firearm license, adequate background checks and mental stability tests should be conducted

Furthermore, the stores providing the firearms should be educated about the signs of depression and self-harm so they can remain vigilant and report anyone with the symptoms to the authorities immediately instead of handing them a weapon with which they can potentially harm others or themselves."

How many others missed/ignored suicidal signs before she did herself in at a gun range? I wouldn't be surprised if she had a history of mental illness and (obviously) failed treatment.
This crap is from the same people who advocate for assisted suicide. It's just words to drive a narrative, not reasoned principles.

The Government should have places where people can go to off themselves.

Are range suicides becoming more common, or are they just reported more?

Subjectively it seems like more and more public ranges have “bring a friend” or “have your own guns” requirements; but I recognize my data is pretty sparse and incomplete.
We just hear about it more. 30 years ago, this would have been an article in the local paper in Maine. No one outside of Maine would have heard about it. Now with the internet, some idiot in the UK heard about it and has to write an article to support their agenda, and somehow it pops up on one of your social media feeds.

We just hear about it more. 30 years ago, this would have been an article in the local paper in Maine. No one outside of Maine would have heard about it. Now with the internet, some idiot in the UK heard about it and has to write an article to support their agenda, and somehow it pops up on one of your social media feeds.
to be fair, this article didn't pop up in my social media feed.....i had to click on it after googling "maine military supply"....wasn't even a top result.....

The Government should have places where people can go to off themselves.

Never going to happen. Between the pushback from busybodies that need to mind their own business, and the drug / medical / mental health companies that make money off of not treating problems - the idea of a safe, effective, efficient and clean way of taking yourself out will never happen.

If I couldn't get into a Swiss Suicide pod, my next best option would be the waiting room of a government facility that regularly f**ks you over; IRS, VA, ATF, etc.

That sucks to put that on someone. Had a relative that was a truck driver, guy ran head on into his rig on the highway, found a suicide note on the guy. Messed him up a bit. I could only imagine patrons and staff at the facility.
That's just fuct. If one was to go that route there are plenty of bridge abutments.

Buddy of mine worked for many years at Bobs Indoor range in Salisbury MA, and 3 "incidents" that i know of over the past 20 years that it was open.

I have been to that store a couple times in my travels and did not even notice it had a range.
Not sure how I missed it.
Store is cool but it is mostly just modern tacticool stuff. The real surplus stuff is limited

Also I do not see a rule about single people going without their own firearms
I bet they change that

I feel bad for the store. This just play’s into the gun suicide is a health crisis.

My wife had a client who shot herself in her car by lake In Wakefield. Put a letter to my wife on the dash and then boom. When I walk by the parking space she was in I think of her.
She suffered from mental illness. She had nobody other than her cats. Once her mental illness made her unemployable she must have realized she had about six months of cash left and then she’d be homeless. So she found new homes for her cats, paid all her bills three months in advance and drove to the lake. That was her out and I think her spirit is at peace.

One note, not even her family cared. They came and took a couple of pictures. Everything else, awards, college report cards, prom photos, performance reviews, love letters, everything went into five trash bags. Her entire live in those bags.

She had no one, but when my wife told the man who plowed her driveway he openly wept. Even though you may think you don’t matter in this world you may be touching people you barely know.

That's just fuct. If one was to go that route there are plenty of bridge abutments.
yeah.. driving into a rig was copied from the series finale of
Sons of Anarchy

also.. 2 buds of mine were at AFS with their teen boys when some dude did it right in front of his brother. :(

yeah.. driving into a rig was copied from the series finale of
Sons of Anarchy

also.. 2 buds of mine were at AFS with their teen boys when some dude did it right in front of his brother. :(

Ive heard since that its not terribly unheard of. Maybe plausible deniability that it might have been an "accident" i dunno. A note would remove all ambiguity but still....

Quote was written by a lawyer who is planning to sue everyone. If they can claim a "trained employee" failed to do their duty, they can be held liable just as doctors who eff up can be.

There are various breakage rules of thumb.

In parachuting, there is an average number of jumps per bounce (fatal impact)

In the range rental business, there is a similar number of "Suicides per customer". It is a rare, but expected part of the business - just like fatal car crashes are an expected part of the automotive business.

Quote was written by a lawyer who is planning to sue everyone. If they can claim a "trained employee" failed to do their duty, they can be held liable just as doctors who eff up can be.

This was my thought as well. Countdown until the lawsuit starts and then forces the store/range to close. Then more and more stores that sell guns will be sued for every time a gun is used illegally

We do, it's called the Grand Canyon.
One of the things I liked about the Grand Canyon is that it is refreshingly not wrapped in bubble wrap. Much of the South Rim doesn’t have railings. There are a few signs that remind people to stay away from the edge because if you fall off you are dead. But that’s about it. So hold onto your kids and don’t be a moron while taking a selfie. The Darwin Award is ever present at the Grand Canyon so don’t be a moron. Sometimes stupid should hurt.

Back
Top Bottom