Another 1911 Recommandation Post

I'll second the SA in 9mm as it's a bit cheaper to shoot and the Ruger 1911 ( friend owns a Ruger ). The Ruger is a heck of a deal for new 1911.

If you are going to go with a SIG, I would go with one of their "Traditional" models. The TTT (and other 1911s than Traditional) have a unique slide cut to make them look more like the SIG P-Series. As a result, they won't fit some Kydex holsters.

THIS, but I love my TTT. I modified a holster I have and now fits fine. But yes, holsters are the weak link.

In that price range, I'd look at the Remington,Ruger and Sig. The regular grip safety digs into the web of my hand after only a few rounds. I prefer the beavertail grip safety.

I just bought a Sig TTT in December, I was considering the SR11 and the s&w e series, I really wanted the S&W performance center, but there was no way I was paying that much for a 1911.

So I decided a well priced TTT would be an excellent 1911 to build up. I got the TTT for 859.

The quality of the ruger wasn't worth building on, the S&w e series was more than the TTT and the trigger out of the box far inferior.

For 200 more than ruger, you are getting alot more quality. Out of the box, trigger 5.25, barell accuracy is excellent, fit and function great. I really like the combat night sights, the burl grips were not my fave, wrong color for me. The trigger is adjustable for pre and over travel.

I polished the internals, the disconnector hole really needed some work, adjusted the trigger and bent the sear spring, got a nice 4.25 trigger pull and minor pre travel, though there was some creep, very minor, but I am fussy.

I installed the cylinder and slide series 80 parts and after install still felt some creep, but had a 3.25lb pull.

Well as I still wasn't satisfied, I bought the Ed Brown sear jig and did a sear and hammer job, I also used a trigger channel stone as the trigger channel was very rough.

Well after changing the sear angles, I had to readjust the sear spring alot, as it went to 5lbs, but the break was clean, I wouldn't bother doing the sear on the TTT again. Threw a new sear spring in and adjusted to 3 lb break. I still could feel the littlest creep, some of it was the sear leaf of the spring moving.

The sig trigger has a lot of vertical play and space in the trigger channel.

I just installed the Wilson combat trigger, took alot of fitting, I have basically no pre travel, trigger creap is gone, I need to adjust the sear leaf a bit, still can feel it lift after the disconnector. EDIT 1/9/16: I adjusted the sear leaf another 1mm, that did it, ZERO creep, awesome trigger pull.

Anyway my TTT 1911 will now, far outperform any performance center and likely most far more overpriced 1911s.

The TTT is good out of the box 1911, but will provide the foundation for an amazing 1911 if you spend the time to adjust it and about $100 more.

1f90ffa74b920eb17782177ca4395329.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1452304942237.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1452304942237.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Another vote for the Remington R1. Best shooting gun I own. It's a fricken laser beam. Nice bluing, nice wood grips, great sights, and the lack of a beaver tail has never bitten my thin hands, or any of my friends who have shot it. I replaced the great stock trigger with an even better Wilson long match trigger...it was easy, just watched a YouTube video, lol. It's my favorite range and even carry pistol with a pancake holster and a longer jacket. I got a great deal used on one, even though I was in the market for a Ruger (I like the stainless finish). Heck, with your budget, you could buy a stock Ruger or Remington, and send it to Gregg Derr for a sweet custom pistol.

I have 3 S&Ws and 2 Ruger 1911s,4 in 45 auto and 1 in 9 mm. Also have A RIA in 9mm all have been flawless in the function department.
I will disagree on a previous comment on the Ruger SR1911 granted it's has the series 70 safety system but the firing pin is titanium and uses an extra heavy firing pin spring to keep it from firing should it be dropped. I believe this is one of the requirements of pistols sold in Ma by AG regs.

I have 3 S&Ws and 2 Ruger 1911s,4 in 45 auto and 1 in 9 mm. Also have A RIA in 9mm all have been flawless in the function department. I will disagree on a previous comment on the Ruger SR1911 granted it's has the series 70 safety system but the firing pin is titanium and uses an extra heavy firing pin spring to keep it from firing should it be dropped. I believe this is one of the requirements of pistols sold in Ma by AG regs.

It increases the drop height required for the gun to discharge. But it is still possible for that to occur, since there is no firing pin block. See the test results here: http://www.1911.net16.net/drop1/drop1.htm

I put titanium firing pins and extra power firing pin springs in my Series 70 1911s, but I do realize that they still can discharge if dropped from a high enough height onto a hard surface.

It increases the drop height required for the gun to discharge. But it is still possible for that to occur, since there is no firing pin block. See the test results here: http://www.1911.net16.net/drop1/drop1.htm

ANSI/SAAMI standard Z299.5-1996 drop test, allegedly passed by SR1911.

Elite Operator™ replacing his stock titanium firing pin with a heavier steel pin,
so that it will always go pew (whether he pulls the trigger, or not): Ruger SR1911 Review: Part II, the modifications...PICS!.

Here are two pot-stirrers:

Q1: Which is a more dangerous Ruger pistol design:

• The Mk. I/II, lacking a magazine disconnect and LCI,
-or-
• the series 70 SR1911, albeit with stock Ti firing pin and strong spring?

Q2: If a series 70 is dropped and fires, is it:

• A negligent discharge,
-or-
• an accidental discharge?

ANSI/SAAMI standard Z299.5-1996 drop test, allegedly passed by SR1911. Elite Operator™ replacing his stock titanium firing pin with a heavier steel pin, so that it will always go pew (whether he pulls the trigger, or not): Ruger SR1911 Review: Part II, the modifications...PICS!.
Here are two pot-stirrers: Q1: Which is a more dangerous Ruger pistol design: • The Mk. I/II, lacking a magazine disconnect and LCI, -or- • the series 70 SR1911, albeit with stock Ti firing pin and strong spring? Q2: If a series 70 is dropped and fires, is it: • A negligent discharge, -or- • an accidental discharge?

Did you read about the ANSI drop test? Four foot drop onto a rubber pad on top of concrete. It isn't a very difficult test. Read the drop test that I posted. It is more stringent than the ANSI test.

Is it a good idea to use a titanium firing pin and extra power retaining spring in a 70 series 1911? Yes. Do I own and have I carried 70 series 1911s? Yes. Are they as drop safe as an 80 series 1911 or other handguns with a firing pin block? No. Am I saying a 70 series 1911 is unsafe? No. I am saying that it can discharge if dropped, depending upon the circumstances.

As for the Ruger MK I/II question, the presence (or absence) of a mag safety or LCI has nothing to do drop safety and is thus not germane to the conversation. I'm not familiar with the details of the Ruger MK I/II design, so I don't know if they have a firing pin block (though I would not be surprised if they don't). Many target style 22 pistols don't have firing pin blocks, but then most of them aren't carried around in holsters and are thus less at risk to being dropped.

Kimber custom classic 1911. Don't own one but I have handled one and was great feel and had a great shooting experience with it. I'm definitely considering one of these.

I had my heart set on a Ruger, but ran across a deal on a Remington R1 that I could not pass up. I was surprised by how nice the Remington was, love this gun!

Thanks for your elaboration

Did you read about the ANSI drop test? Four foot drop onto a rubber pad on top of concrete.

And the Mass. test is 1.00 meters onto concrete.
And the Cal. test is 1.01 meters onto concrete.

It isn't a very difficult test. Read the drop test that I posted.

Drake's Gun Works 1911 Drop Testing
is a lab experiment, not a pass/fail test against given specifications.

The small sample of trials of the .45 STI Ti pins and Wolff XP springs imply they are 50%-80% stronger than necessary to pass the Mass. test. (The experiment says nothing about how an SR1911 would fare, because they didn't use Ruger pins or springs).

It is more stringent than the ANSI test.

One could fling a Series 80 retrograde out the airlock of the space station, and note whether or not it fired upon re-entry(*). Would that test be even more "stringent"?

(*) It would fire, although from aerodynamic heating - long before impact.

I see that I wouldn't want to be downrange of a pistol falling from a porch or balcony.

But by the time that the experiments get up to the first .45 Ti failure at 6', it's already approaching the need for a name change to "Mike Drop Testing".

f5657ea6e8a5225a9c0c692817d5bf5c-micdrop07.gif

Is it a good idea to use a titanium firing pin and extra power retaining spring in a 70 series 1911? Yes. Do I own and have I carried 70 series 1911s? Yes. Are they as drop safe as an 80 series 1911 or other handguns with a firing pin block? No. Am I saying a 70 series 1911 is unsafe? No. I am saying that it can discharge if dropped, depending upon the circumstances.

I wish they were drop safe from at least as high as one can reach. (Well, I wish they were drop safe from at least as high as one can throw). But even our nuclear weapons aren't drop safe - they merely have to produce a trivial nuclear yield no more than once in a million tries.

As for the Ruger MK I/II question, the presence (or absence) of a mag safety or LCI has nothing to do drop safety and is thus not germane to the conversation.

Nevertheless they are technical safety features, routinely defeated upon purchase. This despite my suspicion that far more casualties occur every year from negligently pulling the trigger on loaded pistols of all kinds (with, or without a magazine in the grip), than have ever occurred from dropped 1911s. There's a thriving market in mag disconnect filler bushings and dummy LCI fillers for Ruger .22LR target pistols. I suspect that buyers so blasé as to remove features that insulate against probable risks would be unlikely to worry about the results of those drop experiments on improbable risks.

I'm not familiar with the details of the Ruger MK I/II design, so I don't know if they have a firing pin block (though I would not be surprised if they don't). Many target style 22 pistols don't have firing pin blocks, but then most of them aren't carried around in holsters and are thus less at risk to being dropped.

The Ruger .22LR target pistol doesn't have a firing pin block, and the pin/spring (but not the bolt) are the same as in the 10/22 rifle:

m3boltdis5.JPG

That rebound spring is quite petite. I wonder what kind of drop it takes for the firing pin to touch off a round (but I'm not volunteering ours for drop testing).

Last edited:
I haven't heard much about the Remington R1 (Enhanced). The stainless variation is georgeous. Any feedback from anyone that owns an enhanced and are they difficult to source?
96324_1911_R1_SS_96324_ProfileR_96324.png

Last edited:
I have a Full Size Rock Island 1911 (One with the small logo and not the billboard) and love it. Use the remainder of your $ and buy ammo.

I want another with the 4.25" barrel.

The Ruger .22LR target pistol ... pin/spring (but not the bolt) are the same as in the 10/22 rifle:

m3boltdis5.JPG

That rebound spring is quite petite.
And wouldn't you know it, 2 years and 7 months after I wrote that,
I discovered that the rebound spring in our Mk III 22/45 was broken.
The very first part that's ever broken on one of the guns we've bought.

Luckily it was the very last coil; the end looped over the
little spring support finger. So it didn't actually impair
the operation of the pistol. But I bought a
5-pack of TK replacement springs from Midway forthwith.

And wouldn't you know it, 2 years and 7 months after I wrote that,
I discovered that the rebound spring in our Mk III 22/45 was broken.
The very first part that's ever broken on one of the guns we've bought.

Luckily it was the very last coil; the end looped over the
little spring support finger. So it didn't actually impair
the operation of the pistol. But I bought a
5-pack of TK replacement springs from Midway forthwith.
Just imagine what you'll win next. I was sitting there scrolling through the whole thing wondering who the hell bumped this up. ha

No. I am saying that it can discharge if dropped, depending upon the circumstances.
A 1911 with a series 80 can discharge with the thumb safety on if slammed into a powered on MRI machine. (Wm Bartell et. al., American Journal of Roentgenology, May 2002). Only cop I ever met who had a CV that included publication in a recognized medical journal.

Just imagine what you'll win next. I was sitting there scrolling through the whole thing wondering who the hell bumped this up. ha
Bonus: the green baize tablecloth illustration in this necrothread
is relevant to the "peened Mk II chamber breech" part of the Dry firing your gun? necrothread.

Very happy with my full size S&W e-series and SA Range Officer elite compact. When I bought the S&W I compared it to a few higher end Sigs in store and the trigger was better to me out of the box. I'm far from a firearms expert but it seems like anything beneath a semi-custom could always benefit from something.

I realize this thread is several years old at this point, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Colt. I paid $900ish for a Competition Stainless and love it. Yes, it’s $100 over the OP’s price point, but it’s damn fine. So much so that I’m buying a Gold Cup Trophy Elite and am looking for a Delta Elite (though that’s 10mm).

I’d love one of the Current Sigs, including their Ultra Compact, though I’m sure the Compact has one heck of a kick. I’d like plenty other 1911s too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom