• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

And the sky did not fall (saw OCing in Boston)

I make little to no effort to conceal anymore.

I conceal but at this point I honestly don't even care if I'm printing or not. People, for the most part, are so oblivious, and unless you put your hand on it, touch it, act retarded, or it falls out of your holster in a crowded area, 99.9% of the population just isn't going to notice or care. It's really not that hard to be the "gray man". It's also particularly hilarious when you get in and out of a restaurant booth, or a chair or something and the gun clanks up against the seating and people still don't even notice. [rofl]

-Mike

When I worked at Market Basket, a guy would occasionally come in OCing a .357. He was always wearing a jacket that said "SECURITY" across the back. Hardly anyone ever seemed to notice or care.

I had that happen once and nobody noticed. I had my hoodie around the back of my seat in a resteraunt and I went to put it back on while still in my seat and it pulled my sig out and onto my chair from my crossbreed. Nobody noticed.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I make little to no effort to conceal anymore.

Dude, you really are crazy! [laugh]

I conceal but at this point I honestly don't even care if I'm printing or not. People, for the most part, are so oblivious, and unless you put your hand on it, touch it, act retarded, or it falls out of your holster in a crowded area, 99.9% of the population just isn't going to notice or care. It's really not that hard to be the "gray man". It's also particularly hilarious when you get in and out of a restaurant booth, or a chair or something and the gun clanks up against the seating and people still don't even notice. [rofl]

-Mike

I have loosely concealed for years and ever since Simkin, where even the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court said:
we suspect that the average Massachusetts resident may become “alarmed” on learning that someone other than a law enforcement officer is carrying concealed weapons in his or her presence. However, Simkin is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that.
I have not given it hardly any thought at all. Most thought I give to it is in this type of thread.

I keep it concealed for tactical purposes. If anyone notices, they are likely gun savvy. If someone gets alarmed I would apologize and leave. If all heck breaks loose, I've got Simkin. If Simkin doesn't work, wifey has a license. If all else fails we're moving.

It's not worth worrying about anymore.

Towelhead...

Karlie-Kloss-Mario-Testino-Towel-Series.jpg

-Mike

I try to tell my girlfriend this every time she calls me out for printing. She knows it's there, no one else does, therefore they don't notice it. Besides a gun is the last thing the general public assumes the printing is... Could be a cellphone on my belt, a medical device or monitor, etc, and that's if anyone notices anything at all, which they typically don't.

Could be a cellphone on my belt, a medical device or monitor, etc, and that's if anyone notices anything at all, which they typically don't.
If someone asks, the answer is "colostomy bag".

This exception to this is dating situations.

I gave a defensive shooting class to a guy from Bridgeport who had a very very strong "Ghetto" look. Those who are active on CTGunTalk.com will know who I'm talking about.

Before he moved out of state, he used to OC all the time. He was continually hassled at first. Then the cops figured out who he was. They had to respond when the sheeple called, but it became a kind of "Oh its you . . " kind of encounter.

If he didn't look the way he did, the cops wouldn't have been called nearly as often.

Don

I try to tell my girlfriend this every time she calls me out for printing. She knows it's there, no one else does, therefore they don't notice it. Besides a gun is the last thing the general public assumes the printing is... Could be a cellphone on my belt, a medical device or monitor, etc, and that's if anyone notices anything at all, which they typically don't.

Heart monitor.
Insulin pump.
Emergency bacon.
None of yer fvcking business.
Emergency condom dispenser.

Isn't it technically illegal to open carry in a car? Or maybe that just means it can't be hanging in the back window.

No, it isn't technically illegal to open carry in a car. If you are transporting a loaded handgun in your vehicle it must be in your direct control.

Everything on this thread and in every other thread on this topic is speculation simply because there isn't really much history on this.

It would be great if a person who was about to move out of the state and whose firearms were already outside the state did some experimentation.

1) would the sheeple panic?
2) what would be the LE response?
3) Would the CLEO in his town yank his LTC?

Its obviously variable by location, but it would be interesteing none the less.

Don

Everything on this thread and in every other thread on this topic is speculation simply because there isn't really much history on this.

It would be great if a person who was about to move out of the state and whose firearms were already outside the state did some experimentation.

1) would the sheeple panic?
2) what would be the LE response?
3) Would the CLEO in his town yank his LTC?

Its obviously variable by location, but it would be interesteing none the less.

Don
If you are doing it as an experiment or to make a point you'd need to never tell anyone that -- until you're out of state anyway.

If you're just going about your business it's one thing. If you're making a political statement or have some other motive it's another.

You at least need that "cop look" or military contractor look or something. I am a thin computer geek, clearly not someone they might approve to have a gun. It would not go well for me in Boston.

One day in Boston I just got my hair cut and was wearing cargo shorts with a short sleeve shirt untucked and then walking down Essex St., past the St Francis House where all the wackos hangout, these guys start eyeballing me all quiet and nervous and as I pass I hear one of them quip, "Boston's finest right there". I pretended like I didn't hear it but I was dying laughing inside.

so I guess that day I had the look.

According to this, open carry is illegal for long guns in Mass, but there's a lot of conflicting info on the web about this:

http://smartgunlaws.org/open-carrying-policy-summary/

Unless one is lawfully engaged in hunting, long guns must be cased on public ways.

If you're in your vehicle, you're transporting, not carrying your long gun. Just as a handgun in a locked case is being transported, not carried.
Now, if you're on an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) while hunting, the long gun must be in a locked case while moving.

Simple, huh? [rolleyes][laugh]

Please see LenS' post 53 for a clarification.

Last edited:
One day in Boston I just got my hair cut and was wearing cargo shorts with a short sleeve shirt untucked and then walking down Essex St., past the St Francis House where all the wackos hangout, these guys start eyeballing me all quiet and nervous and as I pass I hear one of them quip, "Boston's finest right there". I pretended like I didn't hear it but I was dying laughing inside.

so I guess that day I had the look.

I happen to keep my hair pretty tight... Not overly military but a zero on the sides and back. I have that look, and have been mistaken more than once.

Maybe I'll buy a Blackwater golf shirt and go with the PMC look...

Unless one is lawfully engaged in hunting, long guns must be cased on public ways.

If you're in your vehicle, you're transporting, not carrying your long gun. Just as a handgun in a locked case is being transported, not carried.
Now, if you're on an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) while hunting, the long gun must be in a locked case while moving.

Just a clarification to what you said above.

Long guns do NOT have to be cased in a motor vehicle in most situations.

The exception is that a large capacity long gun must be cased if it is not in your trunk. If its in your trunk, then it doesn't have to be cased.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

Please take another look at that?

I never found any requirement for a Locked case on an OHV, merely cased and unloaded. MGL C. 90B S.26(g) https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90B/Section26

Please take another look at that?

I never found any requirement for a Locked case on an OHV, merely cased and unloaded. MGL C. 90B S.26(g) https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90B/Section26

Got me.

I does read, "Enclosed case", I had it wrong.

The thing that makes it "confusing" is that the HunterEd curriculum does (or did, I have to check before the new class), recommend a scabbard for OHV transport.

Thanks for catching it, but it does show that the laws are SNAFU. A Biden special in a Chevy is OK on the seat; on a quadrunner, it has to be cased [rolleyes]

It is all about look and attitude.

I have cop hair. ([thinking] ). I get it cut every week and the sides are buzzed to zero. Yes, every week you long haired NES hippies. Everywhere I go, people think I am a cop.

But if you have the look and the attitude, and act like you are supposed to be carrying, no one will say a word. If you start acting all fidgety, trying to cover your side arm, looking around to see who noticed while trying to conceal it, some soccer mom with make a call.

All that having been said. I always carry concealed and to the best of my knowledge have never been "made" in public. Or at least no one has ever mentioned it. I figure if someone does mention it I will demand their ID and ask them what they are doing there. [grin]

Thanks for posting that story. I have never heard of anyone getting a "not concealed" restriction, especially from Newton! That's crazy!

Actually I was mistaken and the thread is locked so I can't edit it, he lives in Holbrook, sorry all you Newton-ites !

I have a beer gut, anyone would think I am a cop. [smile]

Thats a good idea. put a flashlight/cuff holder on your off side.

One reminder to anyone who may want to carry openly that you should use a retention holster. I've become a big fan of the Safariland ALS and GLS. They are very reasonably priced and nicely made. The GLS requires a bit less practice but would seem to be easier for a person making a grab to figure out IMHO.

I don't OC much (in CT), but when I do, its in my ALS.

Don

Like a lot of people have said here, if you look the part it may not be an issue. I've said that myself.

My question is why would you want to open carry? You lose the element of surprise and may actually present yourself as a target.

Back
Top Bottom