• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo storage laws?

Does keeping ammo in it's original box AND putting it into a sealed ammo can with a padlock make it all legal?

Any final answer on these?
handgun-ammo-box-p50-large.jpg

White Feather

also if you reload you won't have enough original boxes to store the ammo in, I have 1000 rounds of 45 acp in a 50 cal GI ammo can, it is not the original box, but it is locked in one of my ammo safes.

I can't see that if the ammo is locked up that anyone would give you a hard time over it

Any final answer on these?
handgun-ammo-box-p50-large.jpg

White Feather

It's fine if you put it in a safe or other locked container
Assuming it's full if reloads.For other ammo it's a little dicey, Honestly I don't think the original container Portion if this law is something people would get jammed up over.
And I would argue this box meets or exceeds the specs of the
Original container.

Last edited:
Assuming it's full if reloads.For other ammo it's a little dicey, Honestly I don't think the original container Portion if this law is something proletariat would get jammed up over.
Original container.
You probably mean gestapo?

Assuming it's full if reloads.For other ammo it's a little dicey, Honestly I don't think the original container Portion if this law is something people would get jammed up over.
Original container.

Not reloads, factory ammo...
White Feather

Guys, just so we're clear, I totally understand wanting to comply with the letter of the law to ensure you don't get jammed up by the proletariat. However, I would just like to note I personally, in 8 years in LE, have never seen ANYONE ever get charged for violation of ammo storage.

And I don't know of ANY cop who knows of the "orginal container provision", or even whether cops (as opposed to the FD or MSP Troopers assigned to the Fire Marshall's office) have the power to enforce 527 CMR's.

Last edited:
UH- OH, I'm in deep doo-doo. I put my bulk packs in those handy little 50 rnd plastic boxes. Promise to write me in the big house.....

Guys, just so we're clear, I totally understand wanting to comply with the letter of the law to ensure you don't get jammed up by the proletariat. However, I would just like to note I personally, in 8 years in LE, have never seen ANYONE ever get charged for violation of ammo storage.

And I don't know of ANY cop who knows of the "orginal container provision", or even whether cops (as opposed to the FD or MSP Troopers assigned to the Fire Marshall's office) have the power to enforce 527 CMR's.

I know of "attempts" to charge and in each case they were told "sorry Charley" no dice, it's not in MGL and not under the purview of the police department to enforce this. It is not enforceable by anyone other than FD and State Fire Marshal's Office and that is according to my Fire Chief. Where you will get burnt (pun intended) in case of a loss is that your insurance company will "investigate" looking for any legal excuse to deny your claim for a loss!! To re-tell my story again . . . a neighbor had a house fire (single family, ranch house), started by an air purifier under the bed (nobody home). State Fire Marshal's Office sent in an accelerant-sniffing dog and did a full arson investigation in spite of no evidence of foul play. I'm the one who spotted and reported the fire and spoke with the homeowner a few days later to learn this info.

I'm so confused after reading this thread. I have all my ammo locked up but had no idea about the need for an ammo permit?? I live in Boston so going to the FC seems a bit much... I'm also curious about having loaded magazines in a locked safe from reading through all of this and the links all ammo has to be in it's original box?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

I'm so confused after reading this thread. I have all my ammo locked up but had no idea about the need for an ammo permit?? I live in Boston so going to the FC seems a bit much... I'm also curious about having loaded magazines in a locked safe from reading through all of this and the links all ammo has to be in it's original box?

You don't need an ammo storage permit unless you need to store in excess of the un-permitted max, whose limits I don't recall.

If you do want one, it is issued by the fire chief or thereabouts, not the police dept. It may be for more, less or the same amount as already permitted by law. The cost is supposedly nominal.

You do have to lock up ammo, powder and primers. Spent/empty cases and bullets don't have to be locked. Almost any old locked container is fine. A lockable filing cabinet is fine. Your safe is fine. Some people think the safe will blow up if you leave ammo in it during a fire. Some don't.

Never mind the "original box" language.

You don't need an ammo storage permit unless you need to store in excess of the un-permitted max, whose limits I don't recall.

What is considered "in excess"

Sorry this is the first I've heard of this

Back
Top Bottom