• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo storage laws?

I did a quick search but didn't find anything related to my question.

Are there any ammo storage laws in MA? I know guns are required to be locked up, but do I need to lock up ammo as well? Are there any restrictions on the amount of ammo I can store in my house?

Thanks

527 CMR 13.00

"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

Code of Massachusetts Regulations

What is the Code of Massachusetts Regulations?

The Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR) contains regulations promulgated by state agencies pursuant to the Administrative Procedures Act (M.G.L. c. 30A). Rules and regulations form part of the body of administrative law along with administrative orders and decisions.

http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/index.html

jdubois, I am having a hard time finding "small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use." in CMR 13.00.

I see that small arms ammo is referenced in section 13.11, but I don't see which subsection that regulation is part of.

jdubois, I am having a hard time finding "small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use." in CMR 13.00.

I see that small arms ammo is referenced in section 13.11, but I don't see which subsection that regulation is part of.

He is absolutely correct. Not all CMRs are available online.

Whether or not it is the law, and I believe JD is correct anyway, it is still a bright idea to lock it up. I use a "job box".

Keep in mind (someone will correct me if this is wrong, I'm sure) since this is Mass, empty brass and the bullets are also considered ammunition even though they can't do anything but frighten liberals until they are assembled... If the law requires ammunition to be locked up, it stands to reason the components (even the inert items) would be treated the same way. Of course, that is picking nits right to the bone...

EcHo said:
I just ask because MGLs are usually cited as a source instead of "CMR"

The MGL that gives 527 CMR 13.00 it's authority is C. 148 § 13. Punishment for failure to follow the CMR is described in C. 148 § 16 (Up to $100 fine, and up to 1 month in prison)

Here's the whole text of 13.04:

The Great State of Massachusetts said:
527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition
1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.
3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers
1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.

(c) Smokeless Propellants
1. Not more than 16 pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(d) Black Powder
1. Not more than two pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives.

(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;

(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.
1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammunition.
3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use. Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.

(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use
Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use
1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(f) Smokeless Propellants: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100 pounds smokeless propellant.

(g) Black Powder: Private Use
1. Not to exceed five pounds of black powder.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of black powder stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such black powder shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(h) Black Powder: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 50 pounds of black powder.

527 CMR 13.00

"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

OK, so, how secure does a "...cabinet, closet or box..." need to be in order to be compliant? I'm considering a plastic Home Depot (Black & Decker, actually) cabinet. It has tabs for a padlock, but anyone with a simple tool could break off the plastic tabs the lock goes through.

I agree that a more secure cabinet would be better, and I plan to get one after I move in about 6 months, but this is only ammo and I'm from a free(er) state where ammo had none of MA's controls on it. Anyway, will this stop-gap meet the letter of the law?

BlackDeckerCabinet.jpg

I have a small closet under the stairs in my basement - some gun safes are bigger than it. I'd like to keep a lot of my firearm stuff in there. If i put a lock on the door could i use that to store ammo?

I have a small closet under the stairs in my basement - some gun safes are bigger than it. I'd like to keep a lot of my firearm stuff in there. If i put a lock on the door could i use that to store ammo?

Yes.

I have a primer storage question...

Given the scarcity of primers, I've been tempted to stock up when I can find them beyond the 5000 primer limit (w/permit).

Can I simply prime cases and get around it that way? Are they still considered 'primers' when they're installed in a case? It wouldn't be ammo until I load powder and primers.

Given the scarcity of primers, I've been tempted to stock up when I can find them beyond the 5000 primer limit (w/permit).

Can I simply prime cases and get around it that way? Are they still considered 'primers' when they're installed in a case? It wouldn't be ammo until I load powder and primers.

It is my understanding that once the cases are primed, they are no longer just considered primers and thus the limitation does not apply. Can't tell you where I saw it or who told me that info, just that it was a very long time ago (10+ years), so I can't back that up with any facts at this time.

I'm sorry, EC - Cannot Resist!

I know this question has come up in the past here... have you tried the search feature?

[runs and hides]

[rofl]

I'm sorry, EC - Cannot Resist!

I know this question has come up in the past here... have you tried the search feature?

[runs and hides]

[rofl]

Yeah, I've seen it, but it always seems to be speculation. I was checking in to see if someone had a definitive answer.

The issue with primers is having that much sensitive material in close proximity. Once the primers are inserted into cases, that issue disappears. Since they are no longer JUST primers and NOT packed in a brick of 1,000, still less a case of 5,000, dispersion and the extra protection the case provides against shock, spark and heat eliminates the danger.

Yeah, I've seen it, but it always seems to be speculation. I was checking in to see if someone had a definitive answer.

Since this is under the fire department jurisdiction (and enforcement), the only and best place to get a real definitive answer is to talk with your fire chief and ask him. That's what I've done in the past wrt all the ammo storage issues. Now if you'd asked this question a week ago, I would have asked my fire chief for you as I was in talking with him about a number of issues (and getting my ammo/powder permit renewed).

The issue with primers is having that much sensitive material in close proximity. Once the primers are inserted into cases, that issue disappears. Since they are no longer JUST primers and NOT packed in a brick of 1,000, still less a case of 5,000, dispersion and the extra protection the case provides against shock, spark and heat eliminates the danger.

There you go confusing the issue with logic! [wink] [rolleyes]

You know that none of MGLs or CMRs are based on logical thinking, don't you? [thinking]

Scriv, I actually agree with you.

I guess you just don't understand sarcasm (not aimed at you, but the "system" of laws/regs) unless you are the one dishing it out. <sigh>

... I would have asked my fire chief for you as I was in talking with him about a number of issues (and getting my ammo/powder permit renewed).

Yours needed to be renewed? I just got mine in Topsfield and the Captain that completed the form left the "This Permit will expire on___" section blank. I even asked the person working dispach who gave me the form and he told me this was correct. Is this another example of the variation in gun-friendliness between MA towns?

[ps: Topsfield seems very gun-friendly]

Scriv, I actually agree with you.

I guess you just don't understand sarcasm (not aimed at you, but the "system" of laws/regs) unless you are the one dishing it out. <sigh>
When one is always looking for a fight, it's easy to find them I guess. [wink]

I store my 'active' ammo supply in a large Pelican case (#1650). It holds a lot, and can be compartmentalized by caliber with the divider set available for the case.
If any pressuer were ever to build up in the case, it is released through a purge valve.
The case is double padlocked and can go mobile with me in a SHTF or other mobile scenario. I also loop the cable through a cable lock so the case can't be rolled away easily.

My 'long term' storage is in a much larger (double footlocker size) military 'tack box' made of very heavy polystyrene and double padlocked as well.

Would it be correct to assume that the primed cases would not count toward the 10,000 round limit on centerfire cartridges of each type? (rifle and pistol)

-edit- I see in EC's post he mentions being permitted for greater storage, but the question stands. These primed cases wouldn't count toward the total count for cartridge limits, would they?

Back
Top Bottom