• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ammo storage laws?

Fire code limits 10k rds per dwelling without additional permitting I believe.

Per round limits:

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers

1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.

(c) Smokeless Propellants

1. Not more than 16 pounds.

2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.

3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(d) Black Powder

1. Not more than two pounds.

2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives.

(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;

(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.

1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammunition.

3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.

(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use.

Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.

(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use

Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use

Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.

(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use

1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.

2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.

3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

(f) Smokeless Propellants: Commercial Use

Not to exceed 100 pounds smokeless propellant.

(g) Black Powder: Private Use

1. Not to exceed five pounds of black powder.

2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.

3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of black powder stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such black powder shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.

I went to the local fire dept. they never heard of the permit for additional storage. Told me to go to the police station. At the police station they told me to check the ATF website.

I tried to follow the law

I went to the local fire dept. they never heard of the permit for additional storage. Told me to go to the police station. At the police station they told me to check the ATF website.

I tried to follow the law

None of them know what they are talking about!

Go back and talk with your fire chief, tell him it is in 527 CMR 13 and it IS his jurisdiction. Further tell him to call the State Fire Marshal's Office if he has any questions about this. I know I posted all this info including the regulation wording (which someone posted above) a number of times before (but can't find it right now).

Since this was bumped only a month ago.. I'm curious as to how you all read this..

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

Is it a locked cabinet, [unlocked] closet or [unlocked] box when not in use?

OR

Is it a locked cabinet, locked closet or locked box when not in use?

Since this was bumped only a month ago.. I'm curious as to how you all read this..

Is it a locked cabinet, [unlocked] closet or [unlocked] box when not in use?

OR

Is it a locked cabinet, locked closet or locked box when not in use?

locked cabinet, locked closet, or locked box. If they first specified a locked cabinet in the sentance, it would make no sense for an unlocked closet or unlocked box to be acceptable (when reading the written law in its most literal form)

Maxxum2012 is absolutely correct with what he posted.

Not exactly. The "storage by permit" section in 13.04(2) quoted above must be read in conjunction with 13.11, which provides:

"(d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences."

13.11 appears to apply even to storage by permit via 13.04(4), which provides:

"(4) Additional Requirements Permitted and Exempt Explosive Material: Storage and transportation
of explosive material shall be subject to all additional applicable transportation and
storage requirements of 527 CMR 13.00."

The definition of "explosive material" includes primers.

Therefore, either there is a conflict between 13.04(2) and 13.11, or 13.11 limits storage by permit to 5,000 primers in a residence but you can keep the additional 5,000 in an out building. My FD followed this latter interpretation and gave me a 10,000 primer permit.

Also, note 13.11(c):

"(c) No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in a private
vehicle."

There's probably not one Fire Chief in fifty that knows or cares about this crap.

If you search here there are a number of threads where the FDs gave people a hard time so there are plenty that "care" about the issue (either in a good way or a bad way). My chief was fine at the end of the day, but he asked a lot of questions about how I was going to store my ammo and reloading components. He knew the CMRs, though shook his head at the potential "residence" conflict language above. I ended up getting a permit for the max amounts permitted under 13.04(2).

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find a post on it:

I'm assuming that that ammo doesn't necessarily have to be stored separately from firearms, correct? For example, I could store my ammo in my gun safe/cabinet as that is a locked container. I don't see any language specify that ammo MUST be stored in a separate location from the firearms.

Also, what about transporting? From my understanding, there is no need to lock up ammo while transporting it to/from range, for example...

And lastly, can one keep a loaded mag in the same case as their gun, as long as it's unloaded (not in mag well)? Or does MA's convoluted law consider a loaded mag stored with a firearms a 'loaded weapon'?

Thanks for any feedback.

I don't get the original containers stipulation. What if its not in the ammo container that it came in from the shop but in another container designed and designated as an ammo container like, say surplus steel ammo cans? Furthermore, what if you get a spam can of 54R or x39? Once you open the "original container" it becomes destroyed and no longer an appropriate container for storing ammo so the ammo must subsequently be put into another container... What the hell is the point of all this crap? As long as its locked up, who gives a rats ass?

I have wondered about that for years. The only guess I can offer is so that it's easy (easier) for firefighters to ID. This is Fire Code, after all, not a gun law. Others may have better guesses.

My guess, since the CMR states "... small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers...", is that they were more concerned that the primers, smokeless propellants and black powder remain in the packaging designed to minimize their inherent hazards. Plastic containers that will melt and vent instead of allowing pressure buildup, primer packaging that keeps primers separate enough they probably won't set each other off, that sort of thing. Loaded ammunition isn't much of a hazard (there's an excellent SAAMI video on what happens when ammo burns), but you could interpret original container as container originally designed for ammo.

Just a guess.

Anyone know any firemen?

Can't find it now but I seem to remember reading somewhere that empty casings are considered ammunition and have to be locked up just like live ammo. Is this true? And if so, where in MGL does it say that?

I don't have the specific cite, but components (bullets, cases, and MAYBE primers, powder) are considered ammunition and need to be treated as such according to state law.

Can't find it now but I seem to remember reading somewhere that empty casings are considered ammunition and have to be locked up just like live ammo. Is this true? And if so, where in MGL does it say that?
I like when peopel reserect old threads like this. I didn't know about the casings. Looks like I need to hide them from the boogey man now - I didn't realize that they were so dangerous. [rolleyes]
I've got an extra toolbox that I can put to good use now.

You're conflating MGLs and CMRs.

Per MGLs (140-121), casings are considered "ammunition".

Per CMRs (527-13.04), only complete cartridges, powder and primers must be secured.

I don't have the specific cite, but components (bullets, cases, and MAYBE primers, powder) are considered ammunition and need to be treated as such according to state law.

Since it is under the State Fire Marshal's 527 CMR 13, I don't think that bullets and empty cases apply here (note I am NOT certain, just a gut feel). Powder and primers ARE addressed in the CMR. If you have a permit from the FD, you do NOT need to lock them up, clearly laid out in the CMR! [Do NOT look for logic here, you won't find any!]

Under MGL C. 140, one must prevent "unauthorized access" to ammo and components. This might be where one could get jacked up wrt bullets, empty cases, etc.

The way things are today I teach my student to lock everything up at home,and in the car.

Does a room count as a locked closet?

Half joking, as I know that there is no concrete answer.

Back
Top Bottom