• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Storage in Massachusetts.

Ammo storage in Massachusetts.

There is a lot of disinformation out there. I would like to clear up some questions.

Maxim ammo you can have is 10,000 rounds. Is rimfire.22lr included in this count?

Can you store your ammo in the same safe as your firearms?

Can you have more than 1,000 rounds per firearm?

how hard is it go get the permit from your local FD if you have or intend to have more than the limit?

Not usually that hard, except in some cases the chief will look at you dumbfounded because in a lot of places, they rarely, if ever issue one. It's not because they don't want to, it's because most people don't bother getting one.

-Mike

how hard is it go get the permit from your local FD if you have or intend to have more than the limit?

Does badgering them to get it done count? I've had times where it took 2+ months to get the Deputy to finally type up the renewal permit and give it to me. Now they have it typed (painfully I watched him type with 1 finger the entire thing) on the computer and can just change the date and spit it out at my FD.

Some FDs are "unaware" about this permit/requirement and some have spent time educating them (tell them to call the State Fire Marshal's Office and then follow-up with FD) before getting it done.

In general it's no big deal to get the permit from my FD. All fire chiefs that I've dealt with for the permit (2 previously and we have a new one for this renewal) were well aware of the requirements.

My Fire chief was very cool about it. THe first year it was just for 12 months then upon renewal he made it good for 5 years. I am good untill 2013! I have about 33k rounds of center fire in the basement...

Hmmmm. I thought I could only have 10,000 rounds total but If I am reading this corectly.....

I can have.

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

Are they saying I can have 25,000 rounds as long as they are divided alone these guidelines without a special permit?

Hmmmm. I thought I could only have 10,000 rounds total but If I am reading this corectly.....

I can have.

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.

Are they saying I can have 25,000 rounds as long as they are divided alone these guidelines without a special permit?

That is correct.

Back
Top Bottom