American POW freed from Taliban

Just pointing out that while people bicker over whether the Taliban is bad or the US deserves this or whatever that was going on above here ... That once again the President has clearly broken a law. Everyone knows it , and nothing will happen.

Barry don't need no stinking laws.[sad]

Nobody really knows what happened yet. Lots of rumors, and that is what they are rumors. Thanks Dench for already deciding what this guy did or didn't do. You always live up to your reputation, no doubt about that. Let's dogpile him now in the finest NES Tradition.

He had two promotions in abstentia. Now DA could have done this for PR purposes, yeah sure just like Jessica Lynch, not saying it couldn't happen, however stories vary on his capture, and sources vary including what the Taliban says.

Let's see what DA says and how it all plays out before any rush to judgement is made. I suppose some will get their panties in a snit about the fact that we were involved in a prisoner exchange too. Well we can debate that until the cows come home, each side has its pros and cons. A lot of the negative remarks are being made by people who have "heard things" or "have a friend who knows somebody" etc. Supposedly Rolling Stone is coming out with some emails that he sent his parents prior to his capture where he said he was fed up with the whole thing in Afghanistan. If these are authentic, then it might put things in a different light, but the timing is also interesting too.

Dench didn't say anything. he posted what his (the POW) peers said.

His old mans beard is pretty suspect to me as well, I would suggest that he grew it out like that to show the TB captors he is just like them, and that they would respect his son more. I think there was a lot more behind the scenes negotiations going on than we will ever know, and like Dench said, it was never in the news really till now.

and it's only in the news now because of the VA shit storm prezzy is facing. Prezzy Peacock needs an opportunity to fan his feathers.

I agree with flippedr6. Hes still a POW just like any other POW. Maybe the way he ended up becoming a POW wasnt so great but he still deserved to come home and whatever happens to him is up to the court martial. When the whole story comes out maybe our opinions will change for the better or the worse.

The military takes in all sorts and breaks them into little pieces only to reassemble them into a functioning unit. This system does not work so well when a person comes pre-trained. Ideals remain intact.

The accounts I have read portray a lone wolf who ate the training up and was despised for it. He went to war thinking he was more of a soldier than he was. He had the skills but not the mindset. Drugs and booze were not the problem. One who reads training manuals and land maps while the rest of the team recreates is not one with a substance problem. His was with the dysfunction and inhumanity that is the military war machine.

He went to Paris and French Foreign Legion turned him down. It wasn't because he was a home schooled Idaho boy regardless of what was said or printed. It was because he was an idealist. And they knew it. And look what happened...

Poor kid. I feel bad for him. He reminds me of myself growing up.

I agree with flippedr6. Hes still a POW just like any other POW. Maybe the way he ended up becoming a POW wasnt so great but he still deserved to come home and whatever happens to him is up to the court martial. When the whole story comes out maybe our opinions will change for the better or the worse.

This is a tough situation. There were several deserters in the Korean war who walked off into NK. These people got no promotions and faced charges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Robert_Jenkins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_and_British_defectors_in_the_Korean_War

The good news is things like this are very uncommon.

The people who are claiming that they were there with him say that Bowe was getting burned out in his deployment and disillusioned with the mission.

Lots of G.I.'s change perspective, wonder if they are doing the right thing once the killing starts. Hindsight can be more clear. Burned out is a subjective term. Attitude adjustment after having killed is probably more a accurate term for most.

What would Ronald Reagan say about trading terrorists something for hostages??? I'm sure he's spinning in his grave, right? I'm waiting fox to ask Ollie North for his opinion on this lol.

So it's quite possible Bergdahl was another John Walker Lindh. Perhaps the TB will release some videos of him partaking in some hit and run stuff on ISAF troops. I would, what better way to rub it in to our great presidents face as to what a boob he is.

Just pointing out that while people bicker over whether the Taliban is bad or the US deserves this or whatever that was going on above here ... That once again the President has clearly broken a law. Everyone knows it , and nothing will happen.

The entire US government is and has been breaking laws right and left - and nobody gives a shit about it.

Why should the President be singled out?

So it's quite possible Bergdahl was another John Walker Lindh. Perhaps the TB will release some videos of him partaking in some hit and run stuff on ISAF troops. I would, what better way to rub it in to our great presidents face as to what a boob he is.

Well, that sort of evidence would clinch his guilt for me.

Out of all the things over which this president and the last could be held accountable, this doesn't seem like the hill on which to die.

I don't see many similarities, granted I don't know a ton about Lindh.

Lindh got jammed up by all sorts of shit. Lindh was in Afghanistan prior to the US invasion to fight the Northern Alliance, you know, Karzai and his cool pals. Lindh wasnt a soldier. He was an idealist that got into Islam and wanted to help the Taliban out before they were deemed the all evil force that they have been post 2001. There were other Americans in Afghanistan also, one of them met an oil/gas executive in the mid 90's trying to see if they could pay the Taliban off enough to keep a proposed pipe line safe. That American had a heavy New York accent.

Bowe on the other hand, well he signed the dotted line to go get deep into the shit. Bowe enlisted in 2008, 7 years after the war started. Lindh was in Afghanistan in early 01', before the war started.

Either way, send Bowe back home and that's that. When i posted that wiki link for Korean War defectors, there was one British defector. When he eventually returned to the UK they didnt punish him. Why bother, the guys an idiot and his peers know it. Paying tax payer money to keep him in a cage is not needed, hes not a danger to the community. Same with Bowe.

jeez, if you guys REALLY believe the US has never negotiated for terrorists, then I have some "common sense" gun laws you will love too!

Hot off the press from Operator as ****, our friendly US SF page:

Don't feed into the hype.
"Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable.

Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

https://www.facebook.com/Operatorasphuk/posts/1498917640323682:0

jeez, if you guys REALLY believe the US has never negotiated for terrorists, then I have some "common sense" gun laws you will love too!

Truth is we have always negotiated. During the Cold War we frequently traded high level Soviet spies for low level American service personnel who were kidnapped in West Germany (frequently in Berlin before the Wall went up) in exchange for their return. It never got much publicity but that is the way we wanted it.

His old mans beard is pretty suspect to me as well, I would suggest that he grew it out like that to show the TB captors he is just like them, and that they would respect his son more

Have you concluded that razors are provided to Taliban pows?

His old mans beard is pretty suspect to me as well, I would suggest that he grew it out like that to show the TB captors he is just like them, and that they would respect his son more. I think there was a lot more behind the scenes negotiations going on than we will ever know, and like Dench said, it was never in the news really till now.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but honestly I think this is a stretch with regard to your first sentence. With regard to your second sentence there was probably much more going on in the background for the last five years.

In my opinion, there is no way that the idiot in chief would allow this man to be court marshaled, no matter what anyone said nor what the evidence is. It would be political suicide for him and anyone who supported him (except possibly the jihadists/jihadists supporters). There would be no way for him to justify trading 5 known terrorists for a GI who was brought back to face a court marshal?

A couple guys that I served with stayed in and are in a position to know the real deal. I'll just say it doesn't sound good. You don't just get drunk and wonder off an FOB by accident.

B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) KIA who died looking for Bergdahl:
PFC Matthew Michael Martinek
Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss
SSG Clayton Bowen
PFC Morris Walker
SSG Michael Murphrey
2LT Darryn Andrews

Whether he was a shitbird drunk or a deserter, men died because of him.

A couple guys that I served with stayed in and are in a position to know the real deal. I'll just say it doesn't sound good. You don't just get drunk and wonder off an FOB by accident.

Whether he was a shitbird drunk or a deserter, men died because of him.

it's a hot mess. the gay part is it's going to turn into another partisan bullshit extravaganza. It looks like it already has gone into that direction.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but honestly I think this is a stretch with regard to your first sentence. With regard to your second sentence there was probably much more going on in the background for the last five years.
A stretch is me being able to service myself like my cat does when he cleans his balls lol.

That beard tells me either the old man did his homework, or has had some cultural coaching. Facial hair is a huge sticking point with the strict sharia law fanatics. Parents and elders are actually viewed with respect in that culture too. The old man has been on camera multiple times speaking with Pashtuns, and has learned their language a bit as well. There's a reason Bergdohl didn't end up on the news getting his throat cut, aren't you the least bit curious as to what it was? I am well aware of Lindhs history prior to getting recognized at the Mazar E Sharif uprising, but it is his ideals and actions I was drawing a parallel to. I agree he doesn't need any prison time, but he also didn't deserve to be promoted to SGT. An absolute kick in the balls to the NCO corps.

I don't know if razors are provided to the TB POWs, but I do know how that culture lives.

**** this guy

"Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

IMO the taliban probably had the offer on the table previously, admin rejected, now that they are getting hammered by the VA scandal, admin decided to take the bargain to get the news off their back

Back
Top Bottom