• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American POW freed from Taliban

Here's the latest: Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG in 2006 before joining the Army in 2008. Supposedly it was due to psych problems. If he was dismissed due to psych problems, and that was noted on his discharge, he would have needed a waiver to enlist elsewhere. They are apparently checking docs now.

Well, someone has a signature somewhere giving him the waiver or a green pass on his psych evaluation.

Here's the latest: Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG in 2006 before joining the Army in 2008. Supposedly it was due to psych problems. If he was dismissed due to psych problems, and that was noted on his discharge, he would have needed a waiver to enlist elsewhere. They are apparently checking docs now.

I don't know where you are getting the psych part. MSM is reporting he served 26 days and received an uncharacterized discharge, not uncommon in today's volunteer force. Could be due to psych reasons, probably was, and he probably needed a waiver to join the Army, but waivers were bring handed out pretty freely in 2008, nothing unusual there. We may never officially know why he was discharged since it was a trainee discharge, no harm, no foul, serve less than 180 days and ask to get out and they will usually let you. Army calls it the Trainee Discharge Program or TDP.

I don't know where you are getting the psych part. MSM is reporting he served 26 days and received an uncharacterized discharge, not uncommon in today's volunteer force. Could be due to psych reasons, probably was, and he probably needed a waiver to join the Army, but waivers were bring handed out pretty freely in 2008, nothing unusual there. We may never officially know why he was discharged since it was a trainee discharge, no harm, no foul, serve less than 180 days and ask to get out and they will usually let you. Army calls it the Trainee Discharge Program or TDP.

http://news.yahoo.com/bergdahl-disc...chological-reasons-joined-army-175000500.html

Did he need a waiver if it was an admin discharge? The psych claim is apparently coming from firends of his.

Exactly my point the source is not confirmed. I'm thinking he needed a waiver, but then again...maybe not. I'd be interested in knowing why the French Foreign Legion turned him down if that allegation is true.

Exactly my point the source is not confirmed. I'm thinking he needed a waiver, but then again...maybe not. I'd be interested in knowing why the French Foreign Legion turned him down if that allegation is true.
Because our GESTAPO (that's what we call the investigation service that checks candidates) is full of guys who can tell a psycho or a person who's just not up to the job. Apparently they were right. If he would've pulled that BS in the legion, we would not have this conversation. The desert is big, silent, and the sand there is loose and easy to dig.

Because our GESTAPO (that's what we call the investigation service that checks candidates) is full of guys who can tell a psycho or a person who's just not up to the job. Apparently they were right. If he would've pulled that BS in the legion, we would not have this conversation. The desert is big, silent, and the sand there is loose and easy to dig.
And if he was a French citizen in the French Army?

I had seen that interview when it was aired, and I missed the $5 billion to Qatar aspect.

Has this been reported before? Were there special explanations of that money moving?

Back
Top Bottom