• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American POW freed from Taliban

A Pentagon "source" is now claiming the President turned down several rescue operations proposed by JSOC so he could use the POW transfer as a start to close down Gitmo.

Not sure if I believe it, but if so that's a hell of an accusation.

Anyway, Bergdahl may be an a$$hole, but he's our a$$hole so I'm glad we have him back. If he's suspected of desertion put him on trial.

If this prisoner swap is indeed a backdoor way for O to close Gitmo without closing it, I called it first! Somewhere earlier in this thread. (I know, I know, that and $1 something will get me a cup of coffee......)

Despite the conflicting claims, sources who had debriefed two former members of Bergdahl’s unit told Fox News Bergdahl left behind a note the night he left base in which he expressed disillusionment with the Army and being an American and suggested that he wanted to renounce his American citizenship and go find the Taliban.

Fox News’ Jennifer Griffin reported Tuesday that members of Bergdahl’s unit said he left behind a note saying he felt disillusioned with the Army and wanted to renounce his citizenship before he was captured in 2009.
Griffin reported that the note has not been made public, nor been provided to Fox, but is part of the body of evidence being examined in the classified investigation.

may be he walked out looking for a notary to make his renunciation legit and have his Taliban recruiter fax that to his unit commander?

this "note" is kind of critical piece of evidence here. It's not like we are asking Barry to show his birf certificate.

Also, I look forward to seeing him join his father for a drum circle performance while singing Ahhhhhlllah Rapebar!

Also, no way Barry is trading all Gitmo guests, there are 160+ of them left and with all the excellent free medical care and goat free nutrition they would need 6 month eviction process to get them out.

Last edited:
Seriously? You'd lump Snowden in this guy? No one was traded away for him and he's managed to kick-start a conversation we should have had 30 years ago about limiting government power and abuse of technology.

Even if you still think he should be tried for treason, he's nothing like some idiot who walked off a base and likely provided much more practically useful tactical information than Snowden.

Not even in the same ballpark... You would be stretching really hard to find a good life taken in Snowden's actions. This guy has a pile of bodies on him from those who tried to rescue him to anyone hurt or killed from info he divulged.
I will clarify a bit in my lumping in, sorry. The two of them left on their own accord, obviously each for different reasons, which we most likely won't ever know. If they want to come back, fine, they are US citizens, and we should allow them back. But they have to face the music. I don't think Snowden had a shit ton of practical information, but I also don't think he's % 100 correct in what he did. As I said in the other thread regarding him, there's 3 sides to that Snowden story, as likely there are 3 sides to this Bergdahl one. My guess, is we won't get the truth on either, because neither side wants that truth out there. Snowden leaving the US most likely has not caused any body count, I agree. And Bergdahls walking off certainly had to do with another unnecessary US body count, so, in that regard, they are not in the same ballpark.

I will clarify a bit in my lumping in, sorry. The two of them left on their own accord, obviously each for different reasons, which we most likely won't ever know. If they want to come back, fine, they are US citizens, and we should allow them back. But they have to face the music. I don't think Snowden had a shit ton of practical information, but I also don't think he's % 100 correct in what he did. As I said in the other thread regarding him, there's 3 sides to that Snowden story, as likely there are 3 sides to this Bergdahl one. My guess, is we won't get the truth on either, because neither side wants that truth out there. Snowden leaving the US most likely has not caused any body count, I agree. And Bergdahls walking off certainly had to do with another unnecessary US body count, so, in that regard, they are not in the same ballpark.
As time goes on the current 1.5 sides to Bergdahl is dwindling to 1.

...If someone walked into the Soviet Embassy in 1981, he would have rightfully relinquished all claim and sympathy to loyalty for being "An American". I see no difference here so far from the info we have.

A couple of things: first let's not inject Snowden into the equation simply because you will never know what harm he may have caused and to even caveat it, with "the best of my knowledge" while accurate almost seems presumptuous. Patriot or traitor or maybe both, the jury is still out and will be for a long time. The less you know about the intelligence business, the easier it is to make a definitive black and white judgement about him IMO.

Cekim, you may recall that a former United States Marine defected to the USSR in 1959, renounced his United States Citizenship at the US Embassy in Moscow, only to be repatriated and allowed back into this country with his Russian bride and daughter, the US State Department loaned him the money for the return trip tickets (unknown if he ever paid them back). His name: Lee Harvey Oswald.

Last edited:
Cekim, you may recall that a former United States Marine defected to the USSR in 1959, renounced his United States Citizenship at the US Embassy in Moscow, only to be repatriated and allowed back into this country with his Russian bride and daughter, the US State Department loaned him the money for the return trip tickets (unknown if he ever paid them back). His name: Lee Harvey Oswald.
I do and I recall how well that worked out for someone, just not us...

Some demanding mom said out loud at the hearings Tuesday what I have been theorizing for years - that boomers collectively suffered form hoplophobia directly traceable to all the assassinations of that era.

They had exalted government to divine right status ("Camelot" anyone) and could not get over the trauma of losing "dear leader" of the day (much less Bobby, Martin, etc...). So, they spent the next 50 years taking it out on the rest of us.

I do and I recall how well that worked out for someone, just not us...

Some demanding mom said out loud at the hearings Tuesday what I have been theorizing for years - that boomers collectively suffered form hoplophobia directly traceable to all the assassinations of that era.

They had exalted government to divine right status ("Camelot" anyone) and could not get over the trauma of losing "dear leader" of the day (much less Bobby, Martin, etc...). So, they spent the next 50 years taking it out on the rest of us.

nah, boomers are just spoilt children by the people who had known suffering and want, riding the peak of post-war US' economic boom. They are in the peak of the Maslov's pyramid trying to self-actualize to save world/children/kittens but lacking of experience or wisdom of the their (probably not so wise) parents. They are projecting shit onto others rather than following their own ideals and being in many position of power are highly effective at breaking this country apart.

There is more coming out.

The White House has told members of Congress they were kept in the dark about the deal to free Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl because the Taliban threatened to kill him if news of the prisoner swap leaked.

US officials told senators they had no choice but to act swiftly and in secret in order to save the life of the 28-year-old soldier and secure his release after five years of captivity.

The claim, made during a classified briefing, came as both Democrats and Republicans rejected the White House’s initial explanations for why it did not inform Congress about the decision to swap five Taliban leaders for Sgt Bergdahl, as required by US law.
....Which proves it was a good idea not to disclose it. No fan of Obama but stating he makes no apologies is the right statement to make.

While not excusing his actions, an increasing number of Army officers seem to believe Bergdahl was mentally ill and perhaps should not have been deployed at all, as he might have further endangered his fellow soldiers. Apparently Bergdahl had gone for solitary "walks" for hours at a time previously, once while at the NTC and again on a previous mission.

A classified military report detailing the Army’s investigation into the disappearance of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in June 2009 says that he had wandered away from assigned areas before — both at a training range in California and at his remote outpost in Afghanistan — and then returned, according to people briefed on it.
The counter to that is that his entire unit performed their duties, and he'd volunteered to be a Paratrooper - you ain't going to be guarding the ammo bunkers. His fellow soldiers sucked it up and believe he should have as well.

There were also concerns about his mental and physical health. Whether he went walkabout or intended to desert, once captured by the Taliban he was under tremendous stress.

A video produced by his captors months earlier had shown him weak and dazed, and there was a growing fear that the Taliban — frustrated by the glacial pace of hostage negotiations — were beginning to rethink the value of continuing to hold an American prisoner.

And many officers are dismissive of "We don't negotiate with terrorists" given that it conflicts with the Army's Creed of "I will never leave a fallen comrade." Their view is that the Army put Bergdahl there, and the Army was responsible for getting him out: even if he was not an effective soldier.

Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army chief of staff, said in a statement Wednesday that the safe return of all soldiers in Afghanistan has always been a priority.

"We will never leave a fallen comrade behind," Odierno said. "Now that Sgt. Bergdahl is back and under our control, first and foremost we must ensure his health is taken care of and he is properly reintegrated."

Oh, and also, the Taliban was sad the Americans were so rude. They didn't want to shake hands or chit-chat. Given the Taliban had dudes with RPG's on the ridgeline, I wouldn't be exchanging pictures, either.

Last edited:
I don't believe Barry's next excuse after his first one was rejected. They kept him 4 years and negotiated for 1.

If the guy Bergdahl is mentally ill that could explain a lot, but then how TF did he end up in combat situation. That's pretty fed up just by itself. It also may run in the family.

Viktor Bout sure had a giant set of brass ones didn't he? I think he armed Massouds guys and then the Northern Alliance as well. His relationship with Bentley Colleges' most infamous alum is quite legendary as well. He had quite the fleet of Antonovs and some other shitty Russian birds.

This is the best VB Photo ever..... [rofl]

aircess.jpg

At one time Bout owned a bunch of these planes under various company names, this one was a firm called "Air Cess."

What is most notable about this picture is at the time the UN/IANSA wanted Viktor Bout in jail a bad way.... the funny thing is they also needed a company to move peacekeepers around, and little did they know, one of the companies that won their contract was owned by Bout... so here is one of his planes, dumping blue hat guys off somewhere in Africa. [rofl] Bout was adept at being one step ahead of the UN, Interpol, etc... every time they would get onto him, his company and aircraft would have a different name on it, etc... he made them look like retards. His one downfall of course in the end was he got bored of sitting around in Russia, where he was actually being protected.

-Mike

This is the best VB Photo ever..... [rofl]

aircess.jpg

At one time Bout owned a bunch of these planes under various company names, this one was a firm called "Air Cess."

What is most notable about this picture is at the time the UN/IANSA wanted Viktor Bout in jail a bad way.... the funny thing is they also needed a company to move peacekeepers around, and little did they know, one of the companies that won their contract was owned by Bout... so here is one of his planes, dumping blue hat guys off somewhere in Africa. [rofl] Bout was adept at being one step ahead of the UN, Interpol, etc... every time they would get onto him, his company and aircraft would have a different name on it, etc... he made them look like retards. His one downfall of course in the end was he got bored of sitting around in Russia, where he was actually being protected.

-Mike

Tee Hee, Air Cess. You gotta give Bout credit, he armed both sides in multiple conflicts ( pun intended), made a gazillion bucks in the process. He was like a Brigadier Staff Captain or some shit in a few different armies , and did indeed stay one step ahead of the long arm of the law until boredom set in. The closest guy now like that would be Eric Prince, the guy has more friggin irons in the fire than anyone now.
I think the new news of Bergdahls imminent death if it was disclosed or leaked that a deal was afoot is absolute BS. Totally damage control, because it's a plausible excuse. I found it interesting that the White House press secretary bailed right before this broke, I think he wanted no part in it.

my wonderful douchebag senator

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/379448/apologize-chris-murphy-jim-geraghty

this pissed me off so bad, i called murphy's DC office twice today while i was at work, once to scream at them about how embarrassed and disgusted i am, and the second time in my alter ego... Abu Anal al Assram, the taliban propaganda minister... hilarity ensued.

***NSFW******NSFW******NSFW***

***NSFW******NSFW******NSFW***

Abul Anal Asram [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
People do dumb shit when they drink, this guy just happened to have an entire country backing him up. Yea he ****ed up, I'm sure he payed for it, move on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Except that, what Snowden did, to the best of my knowledge, probably didn't result in other americans getting killed.

-Mike

What Snowden did - he did because he feels the people who are running this country are gutting it out from the inside and turning it into a tyrannical hellhole. The only reason he ran - is because he had ample precedent to know exactly what would happen if he stayed. There's already been a number of "whistleblowers" who have either got their head handed to them or have outright been disappeared.

The American public is as much to blame for the Snowden thing as anybody IMHO - the fact that they don't give two shits about what is going on - means they're at least as much to blame about this as anybody.

My take on Snowden: he thought what he did would wake people up. It hasn't really. Now he's sitting overseas probably thinking to himself " well **** that didn't work".

That's all a completely different scenario than a guy who joins up to the military and then deserts in a war zone and runs over the enemy - IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Snowden didn't "leave of his own accord"

He ran because he was about to take a Bin Laden memorial helicopter ride for an ocean sightseeing tour.

This can't be true...He escaped, chartered a plan back to Afghanistan...[hmmm]

http://dailyleak.org/2014/06/breaki...bergdahl-chartered-plane-back-to-afghanistan/

Dude. [grin][wink]

The Daily Leak is a satirical website. The contents of the DailyLeak.org may not be reprinted or re-transmitted in whole or in part without the express written consent of the publisher. The Daily Leak is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

The Daily Leak uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases where public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

http://dailyleak.org/faq/

This might make your blood boil...

Bergdahl Could Receive $300K in Retroactive Pay.

Service members designated by the Defense Department as "captive, missing or missing in action" are entitled to receive back pay and allowances, officials said. Any additional pay and allowances earned such as promotions or special entitlements are not issued until they are officially recovered or classified as deceased.
However, questions remain over how much Bergdahl will receive and how much he is able to keep as he faces potential charges following allegations from his former unit that he willingly left his post. There are also questions about his designation as a Prisoner of War and the special compensation attached to it.

So, now we reinforced the Talibs by providing them with five leaders, and we obviously let one of them (Bergdahl. I consider him a Taliban) into the country, now we even pay him? What's going to happen with that money? Partial donation to the Djihad cause?

Here's the latest: Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG in 2006 before joining the Army in 2008. Supposedly it was due to psych problems. If he was dismissed due to psych problems, and that was noted on his discharge, he would have needed a waiver to enlist elsewhere. They are apparently checking docs now.

Here's the latest: Bergdahl was discharged from the USCG in 2006 before joining the Army in 2008. Supposedly it was due to psych problems. If he was dismissed due to psych problems, and that was noted on his discharge, he would have needed a waiver to enlist elsewhere. They are apparently checking docs now.
The plot thickens. I don't think he will set foot on US soil.

Back
Top Bottom