ALP vs Personal Protection

CRSIII

NES Member
A friend just got his permit from the Worc. PD. It is job related.
On the permit under restrictions it says Personal Protection.
Is there a dfference? If so, what?

I dunno, my old resident permit sad "Protection of person and property"..... as if protection of property was legit. [laugh]

My guess is that a lot of departments just don't know what to put down there.

Means you can carry to protect yourself. Essentially an ALP. That big 170 pound deer is threatening, isn't it?

Greg, you are on the right track. It seems funny to have an LTC with the restriction of Personal Protection, because that would seem to indicate that one could carry concealed only if one feared an imminent lethal attack.

When the CoP said Personal Protection, he probably meant No Restrictions, but he was too chicken to say so.

Greg, you are on the right track. It seems funny to have an LTC with the restriction of Personal Protection, because that would seem to indicate that one could carry concealed only if one feared an imminent lethal attack.

When the CoP said Personal Protection, he probably meant No Restrictions, but he was too chicken to say so.

Because he doesn't want to admit that people have the right to defend themselves. This is Worcester we're talking about, after all.

I fear an imminent lethal attack 24 hours a day,then again if I told them that they would say I am a danger to myself and society,then lock me up.

Police have entirely too much power IMO.

Interesting to see where this leads to. I know there must be some relationship to the question.[grin]

Platt and Mattix are the two Florida psycho-killers who precipitated The Great Miami Shoot-out with FBI agents, causing the bureau to forego the 9mm in favor of 10mm, .40, .45 ACP and whatever caliber du jour it's using now.

As a Certified firearms instructor who teaches basic safety & personal protection courses & is up to date on LTC related laws etc. the all-lawful purpose or personal protection reasons for issue, means the permit holder can carry as long he/she carries within the scope of the law. As long as the restrictions portion does'nt state "work related use only" the permit holder of a Class A LTC can carry on his person for personal protection. Any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me @ [email protected]

Interesting to see where this leads to. I know there must be some relationship to the question.[grin]

Platt and Matix had this habit of killing recreational shooters and stealing their guns. Ironically that was what ultimately lead
to their undoing... they tried to kill this one guy, he "played dead" but ended up surviving- and gave the police/FBI enough info for them
to track those guys down... which then lead to the shootout which is often a focal point in every other wound ballistics debate.

-Mike

As a Certified firearms instructor who teaches basic safety & personal protection courses & is up to date on LTC related laws etc. the all-lawful purpose or personal protection reasons for issue, means the permit holder can carry as long he/she carries within the scope of the law. As long as the restrictions portion does'nt state "work related use only" the permit holder of a Class A LTC can carry on his person for personal protection. Any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me @ [email protected]

Welcome to northeastshooters. There are a number of certified firearms instructors on the forum, including several who have already commented in this thread, along with two noted firearms lawyers who have also commented on the thread.

Drew - Welcome to NES. The rest of you, thanks for helping to fire up my brain...I'm still groggy and this helped to clear the cobwebs, (late night). I'm continually amazed nearly daily at how much I don't know - threads like this and posts like yours cement my pride in being a member of NES. End asskiss.

I've lived in a Green Town since I left Pittsfield in 1995 which I do believe is red, but possibly changing. I can't imagine having to do this dance when applying for an LTC and hope I never do. It's amazing to me the powers that be have given so much God-like authority to CLEO's - ultimately with the power to choose your destiny - even affect your life.

I would consider personal protection to be similar to ALP, however arguably you couldn't hunt with it. Target shooting and training with the firearms you use for personal protection would be allowed I think.
Clays...I don't know. What do you guy's think?

The restrictions are undefined and vague. The chief's and intervening officer's interpretations are what will keep out of handcuffs, and the jury's interpretation will be what keep you from being fined. You still could lose your permit if you and your chief disagree.

Vague laws are generally considered unenforcible and void, I don't know how these restrictions have gotten to exist so long without being codified or struck down.

I sent my chief a letter trying to clarify my sporting restrictions. Waiting for his response. Maybe his interpretation is liberal, maybe not, maybe I can negotiate with him. One day at a time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom