Possession vs Ownership

Moved to MA 10+ years ago, spouse and I both got LTC-A
Moved in with handguns (think IDPA/USPSA type)
I am in process of moving to NH and changing residency which invalidates my current LTC-A My wife is still a MA resident, in possession of a handgun of mine, and still legally licensed. It is a glock, not on AG list, and it legally entered MA when i moved.
Can I sell it in MA if she accompanies me, since i'm not licensed ? or can she sell it if I gift it to her ?
Sale would preferably be thru a FFL transfer in MA, not a person to person.
Alternatively, I can legally have her bring them to me in NH and sell them there, but market is better in MA.

When you move you send certified letters to issuing department and the FRB (no reason to send to new department in NH). The license will NOT be invalidated but will continue to show as valid in the system with your new address until it expires.

Transfer of guns interstate requires the use of a FFL. For handguns this must be a FFL in the receiving party's state.

NH does not care who brings guns into NH

While you are still a MA resident, you should transfer to your wife all the guns you want her to own (use your 4 personal transfers if you need to). I am not sure how anyone including MA knows who owns which gun if they came with you to MA when you moved to MA. You did not have to tell the state about them... But whatever.

You can loan guns to anyone who can lawfully possess them. If it is across state lines then there is a restriction that the loaned gun can only be used for "sporting purposes".

I am not sure I answered all the questions you had, but I think you are making this way too complicated.

I’ll chime in here as a follow up question.
@CrackPot
I’m a NH resident and currently waiting on my MA non resident LTC in the mail.

I agree and have personally check my own LTC from when I was a MA resident that my LTC is still valid and active in the system.

When I went for my in person interview I was told that my LTC is active but basically void because it is a RESIDENT license and I am no longer a resident. Per the interviewer I can not possess or carry a firearm in MA until my new non resident LTC comes in with the exception of hunting with a hunting license.

I’ve spoken with a few people and no one can find anything that says one way or another about carrying or possession while in this in between stage.

Why doesn’t your wife just sell it and do the efa-10? All I heard was the two of you moved to mass with guns and both have your LTC. Might want to edit your post accordingly or delete it

I’ll chime in here as a follow up question.
@CrackPot
I’m a NH resident and currently waiting on my MA non resident LTC in the mail.

I agree and have personally check my own LTC from when I was a MA resident that my LTC is still valid and active in the system.

When I went for my in person interview I was told that my LTC is active but basically void because it is a RESIDENT license and I am no longer a resident. Per the interviewer I can not possess or carry a firearm in MA until my new non resident LTC comes in with the exception of hunting with a hunting license.

I’ve spoken with a few people and no one can find anything that says one way or another about carrying or possession while in this in between stage.
As can be expected, certain people like to make shit up. Read MGL 140 131 . It says you need to be a resident or business owner to apply and that your license is good until it expires. No where does it say it magically expires when you move out of state.

When your license is run it comes back as valid with the correct address. It’s pretty hard to be successfully charged with a violation with that clear evidence directly from the state.

When your license is run it comes back as valid with the correct address. It’s pretty hard to be successfully charged with a violation with that clear evidence directly from the state.
They can charge you with anything, not likely to stick in court but nothing stops the charge. And yes it has happened, charged with possession while holding a valid LTC. Sure it'll be tossed out, right after you pay your lawyer.

60015953.jpg

Back
Top Bottom