A simple act of possession

I wonder how this will play out.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Springfield Police Department seized a loaded firearm during an X-Ray scan on Friday.

According to Springfield Police Department Spokesperson Ryan Walsh, on Friday at approximately 11:45 a.m., officers seized a loaded firearm and arrested 20-year-old Cristal Matos at the Hampden County Hall of Justice.

Officers were sent to the Hampden County Hall of Justice for a gun call around 11:25 a.m. The court officers observed a firearm in Mato’s purse when she passed through the X-Ray machine.

The Springfield Police Department was called and placed Mato’s under arrest.

Cristal Matos of Wilbraham is charged with:

• Carrying a Firearm without a License
  • Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License
  • Possession of a High-Capacity Magazine/Feeding Device

You/we will never know. They are not the people they want to make examples of. It’s you/we they seek to be examples.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Maybe she's just so used to carrying a gun in her purse that she simply forgot it was there?
[thinking]
[laugh]

her atty said she didn't know it was in her purse. She's on probation for another crime AND has an outstanding warrant for Extortion out of Vermont, so they held her, no bail.
Dangerousness hearing is Friday

her atty said she didn't know it was in her purse. She's on probation for another crime AND has an outstanding warrant for Extortion out of Vermont, so they held her, no bail.
Imagine getting busted with a Taurus

Model citizen

I mean, in my associative realm: I've been at work and decided to run to the post office only to get close by and say to myself "oh dear, I have a gun in my pocket".
So, I mean like, maybe like I go to work every day and carry a gun, this young woman goes to court every day and.....ok never mind. [slap]

• Carrying a Firearm without a License
  • Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License
  • Possession of a High-Capacity Magazine/Feeding Device.
How did they not get her for possession of ammunition. If they are going to call out a loaded firearm why miss the ammo charge. Slackers

If your not under arrest or imprisoned you should be allowed to have a firearm with you anywhere. Period. Personal protection doesn't cease to exist because you're in a court house. In fact the danger to you goes up in a court house.

No laws against carrying firearms. This is a stupid arrest and people bashing her instead of the government are the problem with this country. You don't just defend rights of people you like.
There are laws against carrying a firearm when you are prohibited person serving probation and have outstanding warrants for felonies in other states.

There are laws against carrying a firearm when you are prohibited person serving probation and have outstanding warrants for felonies in other states.
I think the point that was brought up was along the lines of, "If you're not in jail, you should not have your civil rights restricted."

20 years old. Outstanding warrants. On probation. Neck and face tattoos. Obviously pregnant.
I kinda believe her that she didn't know the gun was in her purse. She obviously doesn't know when it's a good idea to pull it out.

There is a whole lot more to this story, and I am sure it is sad. I pray for her unborn child, who will likely be born in a prison medical facility.

20 years old. Outstanding warrants. On probation. Neck and face tattoos. Obviously pregnant.
I kinda believe her that she didn't know the gun was in her purse. She obviously doesn't know when it's a good idea to pull it out.

There is a whole lot more to this story, and I am sure it is sad. I pray for her unborn child, who will likely be born in a prison medical facility.
And the baby will spend the first few weeks in the NICU with withdrawal symptoms from whatever she is using.

2 charges seem to be missing:
  1. Possession of ammunition
  2. Possession of a firearm in a prohibited location
If you or I were caught with a Firearm in a MA courthouse with an LTC would we just be asked to leave without arrest?

2 charges seem to be missing:
  1. Possession of ammunition
  2. Possession of a firearm in a prohibited location
If you or I were caught with a Firearm in a MA courthouse with an LTC would we just be asked to leave without arrest?
Some of our courthouses provide a method to check a firearm. Strictly speaking, it's not necessarily a prohibited location if she'd tried to check it. Since she "didn't know it was there" that defense falls pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom