All About Mass. Firearm Instructor - Requirements

KVX

How does one become an instructor in Massachusetts ?

What are the prerequisites ?

A: 17 years old with only an FID ok ?
or
B: Must possess a FID and be over 21 ?
or
C: Must possess a minimum of a LTC ?

D: Minimum age to be a Firearm Instructor in NH, CT, RI, ME ?

E: What other courses BESIDES "NRA" is accepted by MSP to be an instructor ?

F: Still $10 for 10 years ?

Some NRA scheduled courses link for Massachusetts: NRA Training

NRA rules: 21 yo, pass one or more instructor level courses AFTER taking the same name student courses. NRA doesn't care about MA regs/laws/rules.

Can't get a MSP BFS certificate to train folks for their LTC/FID unless you hold a MA LTC (even if you are a NR).

Although there is a long list of MSP accepted courses, all of them are proprietary so you can't teach them unless the owner of those courses licenses you to do so. So basically it is NRA only for almost all folks.

The other New England states don't "license" instructors to teach.

No, it has been $50 for 10 yrs for MSP BFS certification since it started in 1998.

so.. to train folks for LTC/FID, would it be the home safety class/instructor class? If we have an LTC in MA, haven't we basically passed the home safety class?

so.. to train folks for LTC/FID, would it be the home safety class/instructor class? If we have an LTC in MA, haven't we basically passed the home safety class?

I was able to get NRA Home Safety Instructor and NRA Basic Pistol instructor Certs by taking one weekend class in Foxboro back in 2015. That allows you to teach either the 4ish hour Home Safety course or the Day long plus range session Basis Pistol course. Both of those courses used to be accepted by State and had an associated State course numbers. The instructors course was offered they Byrne Firearms Training and the class was held at Basspro. As mentioned above you are supposed to have been a NRA student of both of those classes before taking the instructor for those classes class.

I was able to get NRA Home Safety Instructor and NRA Basic Pistol instructor Certs by taking one weekend class in Foxboro back in 2015. That allows you to teach either the 4ish hour Home Safety course or the Day long plus range session Basis Pistol course. Both of those courses used to be accepted by State and had an associated State course numbers. The instructors course was offered they Byrne Firearms Training and the class was held at Basspro. As mentioned above you are supposed to have been a NRA student of both of those classes before taking the instructor for those classes class.

Can you still teach/use the NRA pistol course after the Curriculum changed? What does the NRA instructor do for this?

If you were licensed before the change in 1998, you were not required to have taken a class.

Part of the NRA Instructor Course is on how to use the materials, and teach the NRA way, so that there's consistency of curriculum and message.

If you were licensed before the change in 1998, you were not required to have taken a class.

Part of the NRA Instructor Course is on how to use the materials, and teach the NRA way, so that there's consistency of curriculum and message.

Yeah, I get it. I still have about a dozen older books from when you would buy packets. They are probably no good now with the new methodology. But would MSP care about that?

NRA rules: 21 yo, pass one or more instructor level courses AFTER taking the same name student courses. NRA doesn't care about MA regs/laws/rules.

Len,

13-year olds can be Apprentice Instructors, and 18-20 year olds can be Assistant Instructors. Certified Instructors must be 21 or over.

Yeah, I get it. I still have about a dozen older books from when you would buy packets. They are probably no good now with the new methodology. But would MSP care about that?

Part of the deal is that you teach the MSP approved course. When the NRA went to "Blended" it was no longer the approved course.

At my Club, we do the Home Firearm Safety course (which is Approved), and add in live fire, which is not part of the HFS, but it's a good idea.

Len,

13-year olds can be Apprentice Instructors, and 18-20 year olds can be Assistant Instructors. Certified Instructors must be 21 or over.
True, but only the >21 yo can issue the certs after getting MSP certified. The younger folks can assist the Certified Instructor.

Part of the deal is that you teach the MSP approved course. When the NRA went to "Blended" it was no longer the approved course.

At my Club, we do the Home Firearm Safety course (which is Approved), and add in live fire, which is not part of the HFS, but it's a good idea.
I run HFS the same way, live fire 50 rds mixed calibers.

Can you still teach/use the NRA pistol course after the Curriculum changed? What does the NRA instructor do for this?

as far as I know yes as long as you are teaching the all classroom version. I am not sure about the blended version. I don’t believe the blended version was ever approved by the State. The NRA instructor credential is what I provided to MA State Police to get the MA instructor credential.

as far as I know yes as long as you are teaching the all classroom version. I am not sure about the blended version. I don’t believe the blended version was ever approved by the State. The NRA instructor credential is what I provided to MA State Police to get the MA instructor credential.
My understanding is that the Instructor Lead version is still ok, you just can't run the blended version in MA.

so.. it appears I'll need to take the NRA Home Firearm Safety Course, then the NRA Instructor Home Firearm Safety course at a minimum.

I guess I can do the Basic Pistol/Instructor Basic Pistol as well.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/03/20/Basic Firearms Approved Courses_0.pdf

Then apply to MSP for their credentials.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/04/29/Basic Firearms Fillable Application.pdf
My understanding, and one of the training counselors on here will know better, is that you can take the HFS instructor course without taking HFS, but you have to take Basic Pistol before the instructor version, in order to get that cert.

My understanding is that the Instructor Lead version is still ok, you just can't run the blended version in MA.

My understanding, and one of the training counselors on here will know better, is that you can take the HFS instructor course without taking HFS, but you have to take Basic Pistol before the instructor version, in order to get that cert.

Thanks, I have a pistol instructor cert and keep it active. I just not have done muck since the blended course came out.

For me, I would run a 2-3 person course and everyone would fire about 200 rounds of 9 mm and .45 ACP. Made for an 8 hour day.

How long does it take to get approve or denial from state police to teach basic fire arm classes after you send you application ?

Back
Top Bottom