AK-47's need some guidance please

I'm in the market for an AK. I have a general idea of what I want, I've done the research but I'm interested in some input from you folks here. Mostly because I value your opinions.

I'm looking to spend up to say $800.00. It will be a SHTF, fun to shoot rifle. Also for the GF to shoot because she doesn't care for the Socom.

I know Arsenal, Norinco and Polytech are decent.

So I would appreciate any help, tips, advice, leads on deals...you could give.

Thanks.

XXX OOO XXX

Blitz1

Last edited:
You should be able to find an Arsenal for around $800, my only concern would be that if it is mainly for the wife an AK may be too heavy. An AR15 would probably be a better choice. If you do go with an AK for her then you might want to move towards 5.45x39 (which I think you were thinking of anyway?). Only problem there is mags and ammo are not as common as 7.62x39.

I would absolutely go with an Arsenal, a Polytech will be more money, as for Norinco I don't have any real input on them.

You should be able to find an Arsenal for around $800, my only concern would be that if it is mainly for the wife an AK may be too heavy. An AR15 would probably be a better choice. If you do go with an AK for her then you might want to move towards 5.45x39 (which I think you were thinking of anyway?). Only problem there is mags and ammo are not as common as 7.62x39.

I would absolutely go with an Arsenal, a Polytech will be more money, as for Norinco I don't have any real input on them.

Thanks Mikey, sell me yours. [smile]

My GF can handle/lug the 7.62, I'm opting for that because of the mag/ammo issue. Plus she doesn't like to clean stuff. I want something that can be dirty and still work. Like me.

I appreciate the input.

I personally like the Saiga stuff. I have one of their semi-auto shotguns and it is built like a tank.

Have you looked at the Saiga in 7.62x39? I've heard good things about them, and they are reasonably priced.

Hey Kev,

I just looked at North Shore Firearms website and they say they have the Saiga 7.62 in stock...

I really don't find AK's to be that dissimalar from each other by way of function from what's considered low to high end. True, there is a finish difference between them but nothing that can't be cured in a day. Some recivers have a thickness of 1, others 1.5. You wouldn't know it on semi and it doesn't really matter. I tend toward the low end of AK's, actually, the bottom. Romainians. With an AK, you want to have it in your hands to check it for things like front sight and/or block cant before you buy it. Here's one (actually this one was in better shape, (not my image)):
bryan0928post.jpg

Can be turned into:
ak.jpg
in less than a day and that's including any small repairs like mag wobble. Total upgrade cost: $20.00. This particular one gets -2 MOA. Doesn't sound all that great but for an AK, it is. This one new went for $250.00. Today I've seen them going for about $500. Probably keep going down now that the bums rush is almost over. Again, price doesn't mean better by way of function in an AK.

Check out atlantic firearms google it they normally have a decent AK selection. Even if you get a cheap Romainian AK they are still a great shooting gun I have about 500+ rounds through mine with no issues at all. Just the only thing to look for is that it does not have a canted sight or gas system. And it will perform as well as any other AK. But as for fit and finish. A Arsenal or a bulgerian would be the way to go if you want to spend more money. These are the good quality ones out there, that are easy to get a hold of.

I personally like the Saiga stuff. I have one of their semi-auto shotguns and it is built like a tank.

Have you looked at the Saiga in 7.62x39? I've heard good things about them, and they are reasonably priced.

I want your underfolder. [grin]

That sounds interesting, is it 7.62x39? Everyone likes Saiga's quality.

Not for $800.[rolleyes]

[wink][smile]

OK $650 then [laugh]

You have a kid coming soon, you're going to need the money.

http://www.babycenter.com/cost-of-raising-child-calculator

[smile][wink]

$1000 min bid? [smile][laugh][laugh2]

Dont knock it. It comes with 20 rounds of ammo also.

I have brought lots of females shooting and none of them liked the AK-47. They all said they would rather shoot the AR-15. Some never even finished a magazine before asking if they had to finish shooting it. If you want to nuy ine for the Mrs. you might want to let her shoot one and see what she really thinks.

$1000 min bid? [smile][laugh][laugh2]

That's what they do for these day [crying] Heck even WASRs go for over $500 now. Pre-ban AKs in MA are almost always run well north of 1K. It's sad, but true. Check out the NES classified, you won't find too many pre-ban AKs for $800, in fact, you will find some WASRs for close to that :(

I picked up my WASR from FS a couple years ago for under $400. I had to send it back to century to fix the sights. It's sort of rough/unfinished (mag wobble, sharp edges, etc), but I've put a ton rounds through it and I've never had a malfunction of any type. Still, I'd LOVE a polytech

ak.jpg

I bought a Romy WASR-10 at 4 Seasons a few years ago. Typical stuff, hacktackular magwell, canted front sight, full of shavings. I cleaned it out, dressed the magwell and drove the front site pins out and re-aligned it. Its loose and sloppy but never has FTF.

If you want to head over to Maspenock and run a mag through it let me know.
My wife doesn't like it, she'd rather shoot her 10/22.

Dont knock it. It comes with 20 rounds of ammo also.

I have brought lots of females shooting and none of them liked the AK-47. They all said they would rather shoot the AR-15. Some never even finished a magazine before asking if they had to finish shooting it. If you want to nuy ine for the Mrs. you might want to let her shoot one and see what she really thinks.

So you're saying an AR-15 is a girl's gun? I agree. [smile][wink]

I bought a Romy WASR-10 at 4 Seasons a few years ago. Typical stuff, hacktackular magwell, canted front sight, full of shavings. I cleaned it out, dressed the magwell and drove the front site pins out and re-aligned it. Its loose and sloppy but never has FTF.

If you want to head over to Maspenock and run a mag through it let me know.
My wife doesn't like it, she'd rather shoot her 10/22.

That's what I want to avoid but, Will do. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom