• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 vs M-16 - Which should I buy?

Ok, ok, I know I can't really purchase either.

So I'm talking AR-15 vs whatever a Semi-Automatic AK is.

The reason I ask, is because Kalashnikov is setting up a manufacturing plant in the USA.

I prefer the AK look, the furniture, and the cartridges' reputation for reliability.

Thoughts?

It sounds like you already have your answer.

I like em both.. but have recently picked up a couple of pre ban Colt AR 15, 7.62-39 uppers... fantastic!! Same lower just change out the upper.. 2 guns in one for 3\4 the price..

I don't know about the Baltic States, but Romania, Bulgaria and Ukraine are all sticking with the AK platform. They are swapping them out to 5.56 instead of 5.45 and adding their own tweaks to it but that's been the case for quite awhile.

AKM's and other variants in 7.62x39 are extremely plentiful, and most of the countries that used to field them now keep them in reserve or are selling off the old magazines and parts kits since they have switched to 5.56 or 5.45.

1'' at 100? Irons? I need to get some lessons from you.

I've owned two AKs and both had the same accuracy. One was a .223 Saiga M and a 7.62x54r Vepr.

Once you adjust the sights properly on an AK, which can be done with a $15 tool and a Youtube video, you can nail anything. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control. Did I say trigger control? Good.

Both guns could do that with the regular sights and with the optics I used. The Saiga ended up getting an EOTech 512 on it and the Vepr got a cheap Tasco package deal scope that I took off a Savage 110.

It's not hard really. I used to be able to do the same with the M91/30 I had before it started getting lead fouling in the barrel. Start with a .22, then work your way up.

What ammo were you using to make your AK a 1 MOA gun?

Never said it was 1 MOA, it was 1" at 100 yards. There's a difference. I used whatever 7.62x54r I had on hand, so Bulgarian 1950s surplus, Brown Bear lacquer coated ammo and that match grade Sellier and Bellot. I can't remember what I used for the Saiga however it was probably whatever I could pick up at Dick's on a Friday night in .223, not 5.56x45. I believe I shot some PPU match grade .223 at some point.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...223-remington-69-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

A well made AK is just like any other well made gun. It's the Indian, not the arrow. I also remember the 7.62x54r Vepr having less recoil than the Springfield Socom 16 I had, but the Vepr came with a nice, fat rubber buttpad. I prefer the handling of an AK over the M1A, the M1A handled like an oak plank.

And for x39?

Put the way back machine on and lapua made 762x39 match.....the best I could muster out of my make 90 was a solid 2" group. At my best of skill and eye sight. I can hardly see the notch now.
Got just under 1.5" a handful of times with the sks.

Other than that I never known any other high quality x39 to be put out.
IDK but it seems the cartridge does not lend it self to be accurate.

You're ignoring what happens at 200 yards, 300 yards, 400 yards, 500 yards, all the way out to 2000 or 3000 yards (max range for the bullet flying, it'd have 0 accuracy at that far). I can't even judge drop out beyond say 300 yards.

I was just commenting on what you shot at 100y

Never said it was 1 MOA, it was 1" at 100 yards. There's a difference. I used whatever 7.62x54r I had on hand, so Bulgarian 1950s surplus, Brown Bear lacquer coated ammo and that match grade Sellier and Bellot. I can't remember what I used for the Saiga however it was probably whatever I could pick up at Dick's on a Friday night in .223, not 5.56x45. I believe I shot some PPU match grade .223 at some point.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...223-remington-69-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

A well made AK is just like any other well made gun. It's the Indian, not the arrow. I also remember the 7.62x54r Vepr having less recoil than the Springfield Socom 16 I had, but the Vepr came with a nice, fat rubber buttpad. I prefer the handling of an AK over the M1A, the M1A handled like an oak plank.

So sub moa in in vephr? and saiga 223?
Even with 50s surplus....... I find that hard pressed even giving you a 2 shot group.

Last edited:
So sub moa in in vephr? and saiga 223?
Even with 50s surplus....... I find that hard pressed even giving you a 2 shot group.

Veprs are the best AKs, tied with Arsenals (the product lines are rather different - Veprs are "hunting rifles", Arsenals are "modern sporting rifles").

See for yourself (not me):

Last edited by a moderator:
Veprs are the best AKs, tied with Arsenals (the product lines are rather different - Veprs are "hunting rifles", Arsenals are "modern sporting rifles").

See for yourself (not me):

Just going to bust balls.
Video one.... "that's like 1" I notice he,didn't actual measure the 3 shots.....hehehe. plus hes using tech sights...not exactly the tiny notch and adds several inches to the sight radius.
Video two..... come on hit with in 2" and those briskets will disappear
Video 3. .....more impressive than one or two. Out of the people I know who cast only know 2 that shoot x39 cast. Both take real pride and time getting cast to shoot well.
This guy even had a diy stock with adjustable comb to get a nice cheak weld and eye in line with the scope.... if he pulled of those 2 shots off with cast that's not to shabby.

Your not shooting 1" I mean sub moa[wink] with 50s surplus I,don't care what it's coming out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're ignoring what happens at 200 yards, 300 yards, 400 yards, 500 yards, all the way out to 2000 or 3000 yards (max range for the bullet flying, it'd have 0 accuracy at that far). I can't even judge drop out beyond say 300 yards.

MOA doesn't change no matter how far you go out. 1moa is one minute of angle.
Or 1moa @100yards is 1.047" 1moa @ 1000 yards is 10.47"

MOA doesn't change no matter how far you go out. 1moa is one minute of angle.
Or 1moa @100yards is 1.047" 1moa @ 1000 yards is 10.47"

Put the way back machine on and lapua made 762x39 match.....the best I could muster out of my make 90 was a solid 2" group. At my best of skill and eye sight. I can hardly see the notch now.
Got just under 1.5" a handful of times with the sks.

Other than that I never known any other high quality x39 to be put out.
IDK but it seems the cartridge does not lend it self to be accurate.

They can make accurate 7.62x39, 6mm PPC is based on it and does just fine. I think it's just that people who are buying AK's aren't buying them to be tack drivers, they just want reliability and decent accuracy.

It sounds like you already have your answer.

Well, that is where you are pre-judging me.

Despite my preference for the AK aesthetic, I'm leaning towards an AR right now.

Do they make any AR's with wooden furniture ? (I like wood, but yeah, I'm probably looking in vain)

How about the least expensive AR ?

Wood furniture is available for ARs and many other rifles from Ironwood Designs in California, http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html.

Well, that is where you are pre-judging me.

Despite my preference for the AK aesthetic, I'm leaning towards an AR right now.

Do they make any AR's with wooden furniture ? (I like wood, but yeah, I'm probably looking in vain)

How about the least expensive AR ?

Everyone is shooting match accuracy with AKs, even though they don't make match ammo.

Ha, lol. Good one.

All I know is I can hit an 8 inch plate at 100 yards with my AK and a 4 inch plate at the same distance with my AR. So to me, the AR is more accurate. But then again, I already said I was an amateur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom