• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 vs M-16 - Which should I buy?

Well, that is where you are pre-judging me.

Despite my preference for the AK aesthetic, I'm leaning towards an AR right now.

Do they make any AR's with wooden furniture ? (I like wood, but yeah, I'm probably looking in vain)

How about the least expensive AR ?

ARs were going for sale for like $445, $449 last year. However you really should build, rather than buy an AR. They make wood-stocked ARs. Here's one from Maine, although most usually just use a wood stock set without the FDE receiver:

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/content_rifles.asp

R18FFTWS-2-308%20L.jpg

ARs were going for sale for like $445, $449 last year. However you really should build, rather than buy an AR. They make wood-stocked ARs. Here's one from Maine, although most usually just use a wood stock set without the FDE receiver:

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/content_rifles.asp

R18FFTWS-2-308%20L.jpg

I don't know, that's just not right.....maybe if the grip was wood too.

Nah,, wood just don't belong on the AR....IMHO.

Well, that is where you are pre-judging me.

Despite my preference for the AK aesthetic, I'm leaning towards an AR right now.

Do they make any AR's with wooden furniture ? (I like wood, but yeah, I'm probably looking in vain)

How about the least expensive AR ?

If your going with the least expensive AR grab a sw sport or ruger. Four seasons has been selling them pretty cheap. Then buy a case of the cheapest steel cased ammo and run the shit out of it!

I like my mak 90 I blasted a ton of shit with it. Back in the days even here in mass you could find a old fridge or dryer in the woods and just shoot it with out anyone really giving a shit.
I Only bought my first AR because I liked the idea of NRA service rifle matches. AK is just not up to the task.
Even in the CMP modern military rifle matches I don't think the ak stands up to much of anything.
Although our clubs MM match is small no one has stepped up to the line with a ak yet. ?

Last edited:
I don't know, that's just not right.....maybe if the grip was wood too.

Nah,, wood just don't belong on the AR....IMHO.

I've seen the Ironwood guns and they're nice. But the Windham gun is very ugly. The last few times I've been to Shooter's Outpost, there's been one on the wall.

AK accuracy in my experience is 1" at 100 and recoil? There is no recoil on a 7.62x39 gun. Just a cool "whoosh" or "zhooom" sound when you squeeze the trigger.

There isn't enough recoil to hurt. But it definitely is more than a .223 and it definitely affects your ability to shoot quickly with comparable accuracy. Of course its got better terminal ballistics, so its all a trade off.

I wish I could let you shoot a friend of mine's Krink style AK machine gun. You wouldn't say there is no recoil. Its got an 11"(ish) barrel, just a slant brake, and an underfolder stock that you can't get a cheek weld on.

After 3 shots, the gun is pointing up at a 10 degree angle.

Don

AR is far more accurate. You can effectively hit targets 800 meters away. It is very reliable if well built and maintained
AK you can engage up to 200 meters after that good luck Plus side is you can bury it in the mud and it will still shoot. Also the ammo is cheap enough

AR. More gun and part availability in the US. Ammo for it everywhere. Never going to run into problems with import regulations because the ammo and guns are made in the US. It's also a toss up which is more effective, since the AK's bullet is bigger but doesn't dump its energy very well. With modern ammo both are effective.

ARs are generally better made and have more practical accuracy (you can more easily group in a reasonable area to longer range).

Is your name Mohammed?
Do you like to blow things up, particularly yourself?
Does your camel look forward to Thursday nights because it gets the night off?
Do you live in a rock hut and wipe your a$$ with your bare hand
If you answer yes to any of these... then get the AK
Yeah, but they get the AK with a giggle switch, we don't...

AR. More gun and part availability in the US. Ammo for it everywhere. Never going to run into problems with import regulations because the ammo and guns are made in the US. It's also a toss up which is more effective, since the AK's bullet is bigger but doesn't dump its energy very well. With modern ammo both are effective.

ARs are generally better made and have more practical accuracy (you can more easily group in a reasonable area to longer range).

You do know ak styke guns come in at least .

7.62x54r
7.62x39
8mm

5.45 and 7.62 are made in the United States.

AK parts are very much available and there are a number of people that will build a 922(r) compliant rifle from a parts kit. If you go to Gunbroker.com or Guns America, you should have no trouble finding parts kits, some that only need a new barrel or receiver. Some of these kits will need additional parts to make them compliant with 922(r), but still you'll get a good rifle that looks like it came out of the Tula factory. I'm having a Polish parts kit and a Russian parts gun put together for my son and my brother, both in 7.62x54r.

I agree with other posters to this thread that M-16's/M-4's need to have black furniture (ABS/Nylon).

AK parts are very much available and there are a number of people that will build a 922(r) compliant rifle from a parts kit. If you go to Gunbroker.com or Guns America, you should have no trouble finding parts kits, some that only need a new barrel or receiver. Some of these kits will need additional parts to make them compliant with 922(r), but still you'll get a good rifle that looks like it came out of the Tula factory. I'm having a Polish parts kit and a Russian parts gun put together for my son and my brother, both in 7.62x54r.

I agree with other posters to this thread that M-16's/M-4's need to have black furniture (ABS/Nylon).

Where you get the 54r bolts and carriers ?

Only company I know in the states that loads 5.45 is Hornady and they use Steel cases from Russia in their loading.

I have both, I prefer an AK in 7.62x39. I also have an AR in 5.56 (not interesting IMHO) and just got a DDI in 5.45x39, which is interesting but I find the 7.62x39 more satisfying to shoot.

So not worth it unless it's some thing rare .
why is that? You buy a Kit to build and after its done including a quality Paint job its 800-1k atleast. American Barrel and American Receiver too.
"One" of the Best AK's I have and have ever Charged, Functioned and shot is my Polish I Bought from Atlantic for 850, I would like to see one that Compares to it on Function and Looks....Its like saying why buy a BCM when you can build an AR on your own for cheaper. does that mean the BCM is not worth the $$?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender%201.jpg
    FullSizeRender%201.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 58
  • ta.jpg
    ta.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
why is that? You buy a Kit to build and after its done including a quality Paint job its 800-1k atleast. American Barrel and American Receiver too.
"One" of the Best AK's I have and have ever Charged, Functioned and shot is my Polish I Bought from Atlantic for 850, I would like to see one that Compares to it on Function and Looks.

Don't get me wrong. For the run of the mill builds it don't make sense to me . Granted I got the tools to build .

you get a nice gun for the money. But the finish won't hold up for me. I beat on them . So I see no value added for the nice finish .
Most of the guns are built on the same parts kits , using the same receivers , same barrels you and me can get .

Rare stuff like German , Russian(not saiga/vepr) Krinks , polytech etc . I'll pay big bucks .

With your ar comment . Bcm good quality parts vs shit is the way I see that .

For ak I see it as paying 300+$ more then I can build one for a paint job I'm going to destroy .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom