• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 vs M-16 - Which should I buy?

CaseHardened

Banned
Ok, ok, I know I can't really purchase either.

So I'm talking AR-15 vs whatever a Semi-Automatic AK is.

The reason I ask, is because Kalashnikov is setting up a manufacturing plant in the USA.

I prefer the AK look, the furniture, and the cartridges' reputation for reliability.

Thoughts?

NES answer: both of course

I got the Sig 556R, an AR-15 style rifle that shoots 7.62x39 and takes AK magazines. Cheap ammo, AK47 preban mags,
7.62x39 goodness...

Then I got the Sig 556, Ruger SR556, Keltec SU16, which are all 5.56 and take AR15 mags.

A used Sig 556R can be found cheaper than a lot of AK47's actually.

That's actually a really tough question. Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy. I suggest running some time with both and see how you like either. I had some abysmal reliability issues and in general can have bad luck strike, so I went with the AK platform for maximum reliability. Other people are luckier, if you're one of them the AR-15 platform may suit you better.

NES answer: both of course

I got the Sig 556R, an AR-15 style rifle that shoots 7.62x39 and takes AK magazines. Cheap ammo, AK47 preban mags,
7.62x39 goodness...

Then I got the Sig 556, Ruger SR556, Keltec SU16, which are all 5.56 and take AR15 mags.

A used Sig 556R can be found cheaper than a lot of AK47's actually.

Sig 556R. Very interesting.

The reason I ask, is because Kalashnikov is setting up a manufacturing plant in the USA.

I prefer the AK look, the furniture, and the cartridges' reputation for reliability.

Thoughts?

Well the price point on ammo is not as good as it used to be.
I like both but since getting a few ARs since 2006 my AK doesn't see much range time (bought in 1990) don't get me wrong my AK (mak90) has been a beast and never has failed to go bang....never.
Either has any of my ARs. I have had magazine issues with both.
I like the AK it's compact easy to handle and fun for blasting.....when I want to actually hit stuff consistently I go with my ARs.
My base model AR , RRA basic A2 rifle will out shoot my AK all day.

Another plus to the AR (223) is you can get into reloading some really accurate ammo for less than most inexpensive brass cased factory ammo. You can also load some cheap plinking ammo for about 15-18 cents.

Not so much with 762x30
Brass is not easy to come by. Bullets even cheap ones are still 15 plus cents each or more .

Last edited:
Both. Once you buy one, you'll want to buy the other. I started off with an AK74 (Arsenal sgl-31) and now I'm in the process of slowly building an 18" AR for precision shooting.

I'd get an AR first, the versatility and better manufacturing quality will let you develop your shooting skills. There is nothing wrong with .223 within its inherent caliber-based limitations, it's far more versatile for reloading. Then get the AK for blasting.

I own several of both, and I was an AK guy before I was an AR guy. I hate to say it, but I can't disagree with PatMcD above:

I don't know of anything the AK can do that the AR can't do better.

Sure, if you want to throw your rifle in a mud hole or run over it with a truck, you will want an AK. If you want something that is accurate and enjoyable to shoot, you will be happier with an AR.

If you can swing both, by all means, get both. AKs are great guns. Ammo cost is pretty comparable these days, mags are easy to find for either rifle, and both of them will do job.

Get both.... then try makeing your own AR15/10 then you wont be able to stop, before you knowbit you will have a safe full of ak's and ar's

I don't know of anything the AK can do that the AR can't do better.

The AK platform is far easier to clean, break down, and build and, functionally, much less complex. That's one thing I can think of. When's the last time you built or broke down an AK and a godammed tiny spring flew across the room and killed your dog?

Both. And those who say an AK isn't accurate under 200 yds doesn't know how to shoot . I'm not going to do a AK vs AR because it's been done a million times. Another thing be careful because that Kalish has nothing to do would Kalashnikov concern who is the actual Russian Firearms . If your looking at a decent AK look at DDI. Myself I own a few of both and both has its uses. AK is cheap to shoot and you don't get people crying that they got a scratch on their receiver :)

Last edited:
Both and do a little research in to the brands of each to make sure you don't buy a lemon. Usually putting a little extra money up front in to a purchase buying a quality piece will avoid future frustration and dollars/time spent fixing them.

I had a nice milled receiver AK, and it was plenty accurate. For me the sights and ergonomics on the AR are much better. The safety on the AK seems ridiculous to me.

Thoughts?

Build an AR, buy a Vepr.

First thing: ARs and AKs come in a garden variety of calibers, but in general, ARs come in calibers based off of .223 and .308 and pistol calibers and AKs come in Eastern Bloc calibers like 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

They handle differently. "Modern tactical" trainers and training emphasis hitting the safety with the left hand, which means they're default pro-AR. To do a left handed safety flick on an AK generally involves reaching over the gun. I always found it easier just to flick off the safety with my right thumb on an AK.

Standard AK furniture sucks to handle as a grown, American man. I'm not a large person, about 5'7, 150lbs, but I have long arms so regular AK stocks have a very short length of pull for me. I always max out the stock on a collapsible-stocked AR.

The answer is to shoot and buy both. A .223 AR can't have more stopping power than a 7.62x54r Vepr or PSL (I know a PSL isn't an AK) and a .308 AR is more powerful than a 7.62x39 AK.

But if you just want a .223 AR or a 7.62x39 AK, I'd pick the AK because I prefer the controls on an AK and 7.62x39 is a bit more deer hunting friendly. I know there are people who can use a .223 effectively for deer, just like how poachers use .22s. But 7.62x39 allows a bigger margin of error.

Note: a deer and human aren't very off in terms of weight.

Is your name Mohammed?
Do you like to blow things up, particularly yourself?
Does your camel look forward to Thursday nights because it gets the night off?
Do you live in a rock hut and wipe your a$$ with your bare hand
If you answer yes to any of these... then get the AK

But if you love America, Freedom and boobs... get the AR

Is your name Mohammed?
Do you like to blow things up, particularly yourself?
Does your camel look forward to Thursday nights because it gets the night off?
Do you live in a rock hut and wipe your a$$ with your bare hand
If you answer yes to any of these... then get the AK

But if you love America, Freedom and boobs... get the AR

ARs are girly-man rifles. The bolt is a t-handle, it's designed to be lightweight and low recoil... like a Youth 10/22. They even come in pink!

Ducks and is now logging off the forum...

Back
Top Bottom