• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air guns info

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Hi guys,

I have a 1000fps .177 that shoots great. Here is the problem, The scope/mount will only accept a cheapo. Most of the shots I need to take with this thing are at dusk. I would like a gun that I can put a real piece of glass on that won't break the bank.

What are you guys using for these late evening opportunities [wink]?

Thanks

Can anyone recommend an air gun that will kill woodchucks? My dog used to kill them for me but she's passed on. We're in a residential neighborhood and I'd like something quiet-ish.

Can anyone recommend an air gun that will kill woodchucks? My dog used to kill them for me but she's passed on. We're in a residential neighborhood and I'd like something quiet-ish.
What's your budget?

An airgun that will humanely take down a woodchuck is not going to be cheap. Better to invest in a live trap.

Last edited:
the 3/8th rings are sometimes called Zee rings. Try Pyramid Air- they have tons of stuff for air rifle and pistol

Your going to need something that will deliver decent energy down range.
Your concern should be noise also. Many 17 cal high velocity pellet guns are load.
The distance you plan on shooting and how well can you shoot.
My experience with woodchuck is a good clean shot from behind hold on the spine/head area.
They are tough SOBs. I would go for a 22 cal. ..... don't be fooled by high velocity advertisements.
Accuracy is key with air guns. I use 18gn JSB in my crosman 1400 @ 650fps and it's about 16fpe.
Inside 30 yards it's enough and the gun is accurate enough.
Anything longer I use my discovery 22cal 15gn pellets at about 825fps. To reach out a little longer.
The last thing you want is a wooded chuck running around screaming.

I've read that most airguns will break a regular scope pretty quickly because of "reverse recoil". Not sure how true that is.

How about a red dot?

I've read that most airguns will break a regular scope pretty quickly because of "reverse recoil". Not sure how true that is.

How about a red dot?

It's true if it is a spring piston air gun. The piston reverses direction violently after going forward. This is why you need an air gun rated scope on them. Don't know if any red dots are air gun rated. You'd need to ask the manufacturer.

$400-ish would be nice. $700, probably not.

Tight budget for that. Most folks recommend 30ftlbs for a headshot on a groundhog. 60+ for a heart-lung shot. They are frickin' tough. Honestly - most people use .22LR varmint rounds.

Hatsan's BT65QE (around $650 or less on sale) is not very loud (sounds like two big blocks of wood going SMACK), and does about 60ftlbs with heavy pellets. But then you need a pump ($200-$400) or an air tank ($200-800 and a SCUBA shop that'll top it off) to fill it.

You could probably get away with an AT44 QE (about $150 less) but would need to make headshots with that. (40-45ftlbs) It's doable.

Alternatively, I'd recommend a Hav-a-heart trap and broccoli and whatever you feel comfortable with making a headshot at 3' at over 30ftlbs.

Depending on the air gun you need a scope that is designed for recoil impulse. Some airguns (spring type I think) have a forward impulse which will destroy a scope designed for a firearm.

Tight budget for that. Most folks recommend 30ftlbs for a headshot on a groundhog. 60+ for a heart-lung shot. They are frickin' tough. Honestly - most people use .22LR varmint rounds.

Hatsan's BT65QE (around $650 or less on sale) is not very loud (sounds like two big blocks of wood going SMACK), and does about 60ftlbs with heavy pellets. But then you need a pump ($200-$400) or an air tank ($200-800 and a SCUBA shop that'll top it off) to fill it.

You could probably get away with an AT44 QE (about $150 less) but would need to make headshots with that. (40-45ftlbs) It's doable.

Alternatively, I'd recommend a Hav-a-heart trap and broccoli and whatever you feel comfortable with making a headshot at 3' at over 30ftlbs.

That's plenty of power for sure. Now why they recommend so much power is the fact that a off hit the added energy will shock the hell out of them. You also hit on a good segment about varmint rounds.
Our popular 223 today was born of the varmint shooters of the past. Wood chuck,ground hog, whistle pig or what have you can be tough to get close to. The few that find my yard every couple years are masters at not presenting a shot. I have a nice elevated 25 yard shot to my garden I do not take any shots on animals with pellet guns much beyond that. Only because accuracy is a large factor in putting these critters down quickly.
Also a tip with close neighbors. Try to discreetly find out if they have a problem with dispatching varmint. I shot a rabbit once and the shot was off a bit. Rabbit took off under fence and proceeded to do its warning/distress call long enough for neighbor to come out.......and sure as shit that rabbit decided to rest itself right on their patio. They where not happy and almost called the police.
It was rabbit season , I was licensed and pellet guns are ok to discharge other than near or across a roadway.....but the hassle can be damaging.

I agree -- there's no excuse for shooting animals with "not enough gun", thus my emphasis on ensuring you can "humanely take down a woodchuck" -- even with a head shot, woodchuck can be a stretch for any .22 pellet gun you can find outside a specialty vendor like Pyramyd or StraightShooters.

That said, in my semi-rural part of S.NH, gunshots during daylight hours are not cause for alarm, I would go with .22LR or a small shotgun if I needed to be rid of a woodchuck or similar-sized mammal.

$400-ish would be nice. $700, probably not.
If you have a local source of 3000PSI air (time to make friends with the local fire station crew!) the Hatsan AT44-10 Long "Quiet Energy" would be my recommendation. This rifle can achieve 42 ft-lbs. of energy in .25, or 38ft/lb if you go with the more popular .22 pellet model. This is a lever-action repeater, a real advantage for followup shots.

I agree -- there's no excuse for shooting animals with "not enough gun", thus my emphasis on ensuring you can "humanely take down a woodchuck" -- even with a head shot, woodchuck can be a stretch for any .22 pellet gun you can find outside a specialty vendor like Pyramyd or StraightShooters.

That said, in my semi-rural part of S.NH, gunshots during daylight hours are not cause for alarm, I would go with .22LR or a small shotgun if I needed to be rid of a woodchuck or similar-sized mammal.

If you have a local source of 3000PSI air (time to make friends with the local fire station crew!) the Hatsan AT44-10 Long "Quiet Energy" would be my recommendation. This rifle can achieve 42 ft-lbs. of energy in .25, or 38ft/lb if you go with the more popular .22 pellet model. This is a lever-action repeater, a real advantage for followup shots.

One thing to consider is where to Fill your rifle if you go with a PCP. So far im out of luck with anyplace that will fill your rifle directly. you need a tank. Do your research as
PCP can get expensive quick.

I ordered the rings. I will put a very large scope I have on it and if it gets destroyed so be it. The gun doesn't recoil for shit in either direction so I would bet it will be fine.

One thing to consider is where to Fill your rifle if you go with a PCP. So far im out of luck with anyplace that will fill your rifle directly. you need a tank. Do your research as
PCP can get expensive quick.
Many paintball shops are willing to fill a rifle/micro-tank to 2,900PSI directly, often with pure nitrogen. Worst case, the hand pump is a good aerobic workout.

I have 3 different air rifles, using 3 different fill adapters, so after a year of dealing with the hand pump I moved up to a carbon fiber tank at 4500PSI and quick-disconnect hose. I learned that most paintball shops don't actually have a large scale +4500PSI air source and are not able to fill these tanks to that pressure, but as long as you have the right threaded input and the tank isn't expired, nearly all scuba shops will fill these tanks for a minimal fee.

Not knowing about airguns or energy, I just looked this up, 2nd column in ft-lbs, 3 is in joules for those into the MKS system.

air gun spring.1771520
air gun mag spring.222230
air gun PCP.2230+40+
pistol.22LR117159

I had thought a pellet at 1k fps would be almost like a 22lr, but clearly a huge difference in mass, and energy.

Question: I know in MA you cannot discharge your gun within certain distance of residence. Is that true with airsoft?

What about subsonic .22? It would still have over 3-4x energy of airgun. Still assuming you cannot discharge within same limits (in MA)? If not in MA, single shot probably would not disturb neighbors, and a 22 rifle can be had for half the price of the airguns you are discussing.

My comments might be way off, as I said, I have no experience in airguns, or woodchucks.

Not knowing about airguns or energy, I just looked this up, 2nd column in ft-lbs, 3 is in joules for those into the MKS system.

air gun spring.1771520
air gun mag spring.222230
air gun PCP.2230+40+
pistol.22LR117159

I had thought a pellet at 1k fps would be almost like a 22lr, but clearly a huge difference in mass, and energy.

Question: I know in MA you cannot discharge your gun within certain distance of residence. Is that true with airsoft?

What about subsonic .22? It would still have over 3-4x energy of airgun. Still assuming you cannot discharge within same limits (in MA)? If not in MA, single shot probably would not disturb neighbors, and a 22 rifle can be had for half the price of the airguns you are discussing.

My comments might be way off, as I said, I have no experience in airguns, or woodchucks.

as always be sure of your local,state,federal laws
be it, guns, air rifles, hunting, varmint control.

no matter how careful or right to the law you are if a "agency" is called upon because of a nieghbor or priying eyes. DO NOT EXPECT THE AGENCY to be on your side.

Your basic 22lr is 1080 fps with a 40 grain bullet.
The biggest 22 cal pellet my rifle will shoot accurately is a 25.39 JSB.
At 700fps which is about 27fpe I,get close to the same fpe with a 15 grain pellet with the higher velocity plus I get better accuracy with the 15 grain pellets.
. 25 grain Down side is its a air hog in the discovery with about 10-15 quality shots vs 20+ with the 14 grain pellets.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a 1000fps .177 that shoots great. Here is the problem, The scope/mount will only accept a cheapo. Most of the shots I need to take with this thing are at dusk. I would like a gun that I can put a real piece of glass on that won't break the bank.

What are you guys using for these late evening opportunities [wink]?

Thanks

Ok off track a bit.....did you find a scope?

Back
Top Bottom