• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice Needed!

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
I'm not sure what (if anything) to do about this: my wife (an artist and registered independent) has been going to museums with a former co-worker,
maybe 4 or 5 times over the last year. For no apparent reason this man suddenly labeled my wife as a right wing threat and has begun been sending vicious emails to her.
She is concerned that since he knows we are gun owners that he may try to use the restraining order process against us. She is not personally afraid of him... yet... but since this turnaround was unexpected, we don't know what else might come about... (The rants would make one think that he'd "gone off his meds".)
What can we do? Is this something we should bring up with his local PD (Lynn)? General opinion is that the first one that brings up the issue is usually the victim...but we don't want this to escalate... Any advice?

Don't take a chance by waiting to see if it will get worse, that will only result in your dealing with a bigger mess. Go to the PD and get a harassment prevention order.

I'm not sure what (if anything) to do about this: my wife (an artist and registered independent) has been going to museums with a former co-worker,
maybe 4 or 5 times over the last year. For no apparent reason this man suddenly labeled my wife as a right wing threat and has begun been sending vicious emails to her.
She is concerned that since he knows we are gun owners that he may try to use the restraining order process against us. She is not personally afraid of him... yet... but since this turnaround was unexpected, we don't know what else might come about... (The rants would make one think that he'd "gone off his meds".)
What can we do? Is this something we should bring up with his local PD (Lynn)? General opinion is that the first one that brings up the issue is usually the victim...but we don't want this to escalate... Any advice?

Your wife should print the writen statements the guy said and go talk with a detective asking for advice and express her concerns this way there will be an LEO who will be informed of a situation before any restraining order is issued and it would be squashed. its important for your wife to do this, an LEO will be less simpithetic to a male.

Your wife should print the writen statements the guy said and go talk with a detective asking for advice and express her concerns this way there will be an LEO who will be informed of a situation before any restraining order is issued and it would be squashed. its important for your wife to do this, an LEO will be less simpithetic to a male.

This^^^^

If it was my wife she wouldn't be going ANYWHERE with another man who is not a family member. It may be old fashion but nothing good usually comes out of it. I can just imagine the response if I told her I was going out with one of my female co-workers...yea, that would go over well!

I think she's worried that he's so demented that he thinks she (or me...a "gun nut") would be a threat to him...

What do the emails say? Does she respond to them? Why hasn't she blocked him?

Something about this story just makes no sense.

Your wife is looking at art with a "friend" in museums many times a year.

Suddenly, and according to you, "for no apparent reason", she gets threatening emails from her fellow art appreciator.

You know your wife better than us, why would a male friend suddenly turn on a casual friend like your wife?

Plus how could he file a restraining order?

This is an odd circumstance, the story is odder.

If things make no sense, find the part that makes sense.

Good luck.

Oh boy....first off she told him she would not respond.... He keeps writing anyway. His rants include calling her a c***, and not to contact her (she doesn't..but he says this anyway).... and this one : "getting guns and going to Lexington"... <---No idea what he's thinking about that one!
She hasn't blocked him since this came up in the last 24 hours...as this is just starting.

Oh boy....first off she told him she would not respond.... He keeps writing anyway. His rants include calling her a c***, and not to contact her (she doesn't..but he says this anyway).... and this one : "getting guns and going to Lexington"... <---No idea what he's thinking about that one!
She hasn't blocked him since this came up in the last 24 hours...as this is just starting.

The story sounds odd. Block him. Problem solved.

If he contacts her through other means, now you have a problem and grounds to address it.

Fenway I agree this story is STRANGE to say the least! YES, this guy just seems to have flipped out (like I said "missed his meds").. he's been a quiet, reclusive, loaner guy...socially ackward...but harmless?!?
The only thing she's worried about a possible RO (as a way of lashing out against her) being issued...it is specifically because of his rant that she is "rabbid right winger".. that the RO (and gun connection) comes to mind.

PS... she's not one to talk politics!

I would print the emails. Complete a written statement that she had not responded to him since this started (or whatever her last contact was) and talk to his PD and yours. (yes, I hate gov interference but this is a defensive manuever to CYA) so that it is all documented. File a complaint of harrasment against him. Possibly ask for an RO.

I had someone harrassing me who I ignored until he said in a voicemail he would show up at my home or place of business. I emailed him (per my attorney) and informed him if he did either I would call the cops and have him charged with trespass. Problem solved.

Agreed. I was in a similar situation with a neighbor, and I kept detailed notes including dates, times, what she said, etc. Turns out the neighbor was mentally ill, off her meds, and ended up spending the next several months a padded white room. Police said to always take notes.

Don't take a chance by waiting to see if it will get worse, that will only result in your dealing with a bigger mess. Go to the PD and get a harassment prevention order.

Go to District Court for Harassment Prevention Order. He will probably counterfile.
As long as no guns are registered in your wifes name, what's the issue?

Don't block him. Print them out, Attach them to request for Harassment prevention order. You will go before district court judge for temp order and it will be issued on the spot. I wouldn't wait. Guy sounds like he is unstable. He can counterfile but you can file a motion to dismiss. Don't respond to any of his emails.

TayNinh_66: Problem is the wife DOES own firearms.
Thanks for everyone for your input. She's currently compiling all the emails from the past 24 hours.

Sorry bud but this story just seems a little fishy to me. First a former co-worker and she has been going to museums with this guy, and he then just flips out! I'm sorry, but I think they where up to something and he wanted her to leave you and she said no.

Charles.

This +2. Go and see a detective so you have a record of being first if it goes further. DO NOT get a restraining order. A judge could issue cross restraining orders and this is what you do not want. Print out everything so you have a hard copy saved in case the emails are lost. I would just ignore emails or phone calls and the person will probaly move on. If they ever filed against you, then you can show phone or email records that are only to you and not from you.

I had a RO served on me. Once I was in front of a judge, it was tossed. But when I just renewed my LTC, I needed to check that I had an RO even though it was a temp and thrown out.

Go to District Court for Harassment Prevention Order. He will probably counterfile.
As long as no guns are registered in your wifes name, what's the issue?

Whats the problem? If you get hit with a RO there cannot be guns in your house, they don't care if they belong to others. And the wife will need to say she has had an RO against her, every time she renews her LTC.

Something about this story just makes no sense.

Your wife is looking at art with a "friend" in museums many times a year.

Suddenly, and according to you, "for no apparent reason", she gets threatening emails from her fellow art appreciator.

You know your wife better than us, why would a male friend suddenly turn on a casual friend like your wife?

Plus how could he file a restraining order?

This is an odd circumstance, the story is odder.

If things make no sense, find the part that makes sense.

Good luck.

If we met and I knew you name and a little info like your address, etc. I could go to any court or call the after hours number and talk to the on call judge and get a temp RO against you very easily. I would lie and say you threatened my life, I'm scared and you'd be served that day or night. It is VERY easy to get a temp RO against anyone. It's only one side being heard and not questioned.

TayNinh_66: Problem is the wife DOES own firearms.
Thanks for everyone for your input. She's currently compiling all the emails from the past 24 hours.

Even if she didn't, there cannot be any firearms in the house if any person there has an RO against them. Even if they did not have access to them, the cops will take them.

Sorry bud but this story just seems a little fishy to me. First a former co-worker and she has been going to museums with this guy, and he then just flips out! I'm sorry, but I think they where up to something and he wanted her to leave you and she said no.

Charles.

THIS. I feel for you but there is something else you dont know about this issue. The story sounds familiar but who knows my new wife does not have these issues. I was a nice guy back then. I am no longer that nice guy.

Martlet: No overt threats just rants...again, like someone just became unglued!
FreeWillie: LOL!
NewGunGuy: I know my wife..and she would have let me know if there was some sort of un-requieted love going on....
Hoover: Yes, that's what we were worried about (RO & removal of firearms)...

Back
Top Bottom